Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All....I recently finally was able to add a Canadian Inglis MK1* to my collection. I am thrilled because it is in original configuration and non-import marked. It is only missing its label otherwise it is in about 96% condition.
This lead me to my question. It is Canadian maritally marked with the C arrow circle. I know these guns were used by the Canadians but also given to other allied and commonwealth countries for use. I was wondering, if there is any information as to how many were actually accepted for Canadian use rather then just given to other country use? Thanks in advance for the information if it is out there.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You have a decent introduction to geopolitics-trans world order within a certain era.

Your pistol will be a conduit to whatever channel of study you choose. Hopefully it will be a decent shooter, too.

The John Inglis Company was, largely, a manufacturer of domestic machinery (washing machines) before it was asked to supply martial material. for the war effort.

My father's father was chairman of the Wartime Depreciation Contracts Board...why would John Inglis accept re-tooling, at the demand of government dictates (??) without a contract?

You choose...your study...enjoy...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hello All....I recently finally was able to add a Canadian Inglis MK1* to my collection. I am thrilled because it is in original configuration and non-import marked. It is only missing its label otherwise it is in about 96% condition.
This lead me to my question. It is Canadian maritally marked with the C arrow circle. I know these guns were used by the Canadians but also given to other allied and commonwealth countries for use. I was wondering, if there is any information as to how many were actually accepted for Canadian use rather then just given to other country use? Thanks in advance for the information if it is out there.

While I won't pretend all Canadian marriages are the very vision of domestic bliss, we have not resorted to putting marital markings on our handguns. Unless you count the scratches and dents they might accrue when she throws it at him after finding out how much he spent on it....

(Sorry yoebuff, but the possibilities of your typo were too good to resist!)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cdsx....OK that was funny. all I can say is da** spell check doesn't work on correctly misspelled words LOL......So, I guess that means you don't know how many were "martially" marked?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Cdsx....OK that was funny. all I can say is da** spell check doesn't work on correctly misspelled words LOL......So, I guess that means you don't know how many were "martially" marked?
Of course! I'm not entirely sure if the records of that were even kept, or if they survived the sad decline of the company.

I never use auto-correct, or spellcheck. The former mis-represents you saying things that are either stupid or actionable, while the latter is skewed towards the current fad spellings favoured by the 20-year-old "thumb-talkers" (who are about to inherit what's left of our world, if they survive their current diet of Tide pods and drugs).

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of course! I'm not entirely sure if the records of that were even kept, or if they survived the sad decline of the company.
That is a shame. I was hoping the information was published somewhere in a reference that I didn't have access to. While they are out there, I had not seen too many which were Canadian military marked. A lot of people take for granted the DCP flag proof and consider that Canadian Military accepted, but as you are aware, that is different then the C arrow circle I was referring too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The best source of info on the subject is, Inglis Diamond: The Canadian HI-power Pistol by Clive Law. I bought a copy before obtaining one of the pistols.

Among a number of Inglis and other Hi-Powers for sale in Canada right now is one from Clive Law's own collection and featured in that book, a former NZ SAS pistol apparently.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

1 - 14 of 14 Posts