Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has heard of Canadian Arsenal No 4 MK II spike bayonet being faked. With such a low production run I have been seeing a lot of these lately for sale and was just curious.

Thanks
Ryan

·
Gold Bullet member
855 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. Let's see what others say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Faked No4 Mk II CA bayonets?

Hey Ryan,

Where have you seen these cropping up - the Canadian Arsenal versions? Would like to know, as I want to hunt one down.

Now, onto being fakes. Well, in my research I have noticed that the CA marking is usually in a different spot than the LB marking for the Long Branch No 4 MK II's. Both were made in Long Branch, but these bayonets were either marked with a strong L over a B (the plentiful one) or a C with the A inlaid - the 5000 unit production one by Canadian Arsenal.

From what I have seen, the LB is usually above the No 4 Mk II stamping, and the CA is usually below it.

So, to make a fake, someone would have to go through the trouble of grinding out the LB (or any other markings for that matter as Brit models carried more various markings), take the pain to accurately reproduce the CA, and re-blue the unit making sure that there is no evidence of grinding.

Quite a task, I would think. I wonder if anyone could even obtain the CA stamp these days. I would think that it would cost a fortune to own one of these...

However, be sure to research these bayonets on the web first. There are a lot of markings to look for, and asking the right questions and getting the seller to post or send detailed photos is best. This way you could post them to this and other forums to get opinion.

Looking forward to your info on where these are popping up.

Cheers!

Paul

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul,

I have been finding them on Ebay, and so far that is about the only place, I have seen them go for as high as 150.00 bucks, but I bought mine for far less, I think the average pice is around 60-70 bucks. I see one on there about once a month.

They all appear to be in unissued condition, I have not seen one yet (either the two that I own or the ones on auction or on collector sites) that have the black paint or any other markings (unit, rack numbers, country marks, serial numbers) and the reason I mention this is because at an old military surplus store near my house the owner had some really nice unissued canadian marked WWII breech covers, when I asked where he got them from he said that he knows a guy in canada that found a warehouse out in the sticks that was falling in on itself and was full of military stuff. So I wonder, if the story is true, if these were not made, boxed away and then these are now coming from the same source.

Ryan

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,781 Posts
I need one

Myself, for a 6 groove. Be aware that the largest country (population wise) has been doing some serious counterfeiting. So far as to counterfeit the hammer of an M-1, and marked with a rare variant of Winchester. And then didn't get the letter period sequence right. So just because it's hard, or few in number, doesn't mean it wouldn't be faked. I've seen examples.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
would a spike be worth the counterfieting ? im aware these were not as common as war produced pointy bits , but is there a call for late productionitems ?

i dont see the point unless the canadians amoung us are paying big bucks for these ,

but then if you can take a $10-20 bayo and turn $150 on it maybe its worth it , whom am i to say ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Please do not pay too much for one, recommend you just keep haunting various arms fairs or gunshows and have patience. I see these at shows in the mid-west states all the time. I was collecting Canadian, US, and Australian enfield models in 2005-2007, have them all now, and made contact with a couple British bayonet collectors at shows to buy the matching bayonets and frogs. I think I paid $25 USD for a Canadian Mk II spike bayonet and scabbard with the blue frog. I later paid $10 for a new in the arsenal wrap and grease British Mk 2 blade bayonet and for an extra $5 USD picked up the matching new in the grease and arsenal wrap scabbard. This matched the mumwrap MkII No 4 I found earlier that came without the bayonet. I am not bragging here, but mentioning the low prices as basic 2005-2007 prices for these in the states and I do not think anyone could make fakes and sell them for these low prices. The bayonet dealers I deal with seem to find large amounts of fairly scarce Enfield bayonets all the time. I do not know if they drive to Canada to surplus stores or if they have sources or long ago bought stocks. Haunt shows, as recently a walk-in tried to sell a batch of bayonets to a dealer, who was short of cash, so because I had dealt with him before, he sent the guy to me and I gave him $20 for a greasy old No 1 MKIII enfield bayonet and scabbard. He named the price, I paid. When I cleaned all the heavy grease off, it was an as new issued OA Lithgow bayonet 1942 or 1943, can't remember, with the brown mangrovite Australlian scabbard and square metal tip. I would have paid more, if I had known what it was, but it took me an hour just to clean off the dried, heavy grease etc. Just haunt shows, most average gunshow types don't know a British bayonet from an Australian bayonet and they are all considered old Brit surplus items. Most will be happy to sell one, so negotiate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.