1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Obligatory link back: http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/4521849674/

More photos of blade, hilt, guard, and markings in this set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/4521298633/

The blade says Simson & Co SUHL, so I know the maker, but the other markings don't fall into any patterns I've seen in other photos. I bought it 40 years ago, and my hazy recollection is that the owner said it was a WWI British engineer's bayonet. Did the Brits use German Bayonets? Maybe it was made before the war? Maybe I forgot? :->

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
What you have is an 1896 Mauser bayonet mfg. for Transvaal (Boers) According to Janzen's. Does it have any Turkish markings? Some do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> Does it have any Turkish markings?

The only markings I've seen are in the photos - I can't identify 2 of them, but they don't look like a foreign alphabet.

I don't know what Janzen's is, so I'll look that up.

·
Silver Bullet member
599 Posts
Nice bayonet!
Some were issued to the Transvaal troops with the 1895 mauser to fight the british in the 2nd Boer war. Most went to Turkey, as trenchwarfare mentioned. The Turks used it with their Model 1890, and as mentioned, should have turkish marks.
Regardless who had it, it is a very scarce bayonet.

·
Gold Bullet member
853 Posts
Transvaal sawback. Great piece. Be glad you hung on to it. The crosspiece is that of a Turk M1903, put on the M71 blade & hilt backwards. I'm thinking it should mount to most M1891, M1893 or M1895 Mausers. If you have one, give it a try.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've seen perhaps half a dozen of these over the years; all of them were Simson made. The one that stuck to my collection has only one other mark beside the SIMSON&Co SUHL on the ricasso, a stamp on the lower back of the crossguard which I can't quite make out. I'll try again, dang these old eyes ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts