Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of now I am the proud owner of a surplus Beretta M1951, but for the life of me I cannot date the gun or even identify some of the markings. Any assistance in ironing out the details for this piece of history will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I would also be very useful for potential buyers to know the serial number cut off for C&R purchase. With some support documentation for both buyer and seller.

There are number coded proof marks listed in the blue book. Perhaps those are on the barrel.
For instance XXVI=1970.
Then crazy for 3 years: XX7 = 1971 (REALLY! a hybrid)
Later a new system with letters, AA=1975. AB, AC, etc

The Roman numbers seem to be 1944 + Number For eample 1944+26=1970. I guess that was too easy. Or stamp the last two digits of the year?

Edit: I read kanisters post, last two digits of the year. I must be 1/2 Italian :)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
NO! The guns for Police and Army were not proofed like the civilian ones so what you write don't apply to this gun.
The F A G and the star tell us that this gun was proofed by the Fabbrica Armi Gardone, the military proof house of these times.
And also the story of the 1944 + 10 is only a tale: the civilian proof date startet on 1954 with X, iot's only a coincidence.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
That is too bad about the different systems.

I did attempt a C&R purchase on one of these and the unknown date was a stopper. I did not try very hard. And IIRC these was some opinion given that these were all too modern. It would be helpful to have some documentation to back up the purchase and record keeping.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Firearms produced in Italy utilize date proof marks on the receiver/frame/barrel. From 1945-1974, these proof marks consisted of sequential Roman Numerals, ranging from one (I) to thirty (XXX). These Roman Numerals represent the number of years that had lapsed since the final full year of WWII. (See chart below for more information).

Completely invented: from 1945 to 1954 the year of manufacture on civilian guns was written in plain numbers: 1945 - 1946 -1947 - ...
From 1954 were introduced the Roman numerals, but not always:

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,086 Posts
It is 69 for 1969, not 59, 79, 89, 99

Patrick

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Could the OP (Zombie) tell who sold this and did they determine if it this one or any were C&R worthy? I looked around a bit one time and could easlity have missed a lot of action. All I found was, not C&R. I dont know about Italy, but; here in USA 1969 is crazy old for a police gun.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,086 Posts
The M1951 was never adopted by the Army, it was however adopted by the INavy, the Carabineri and the National Traffic Police, but has since been replaced by the Beretta 92 in 1977. These were then stored in their armories as reserve firearms.
The Europeans tend to keep firearms in service around alot longer than we do in the USA.

Patrick

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
From the ATF website:
To be recognized as C&R items, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

1. Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;
So it's 2020, any gun from 1970 and before is a C&R.
Website: Curios & Relics | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;
I assumed that was understood. Perhaps I should have included that in my question. That is which online outfit (sssuming that) sold this pistol and did they know it was made in 1969 (if that is a 69) and did they offer this or ANY M1951 to C&R holders?

Now, I get it. The OP has only the one post.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.