Gunboards Forums banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I do like making my own pizza dough.

Here's the green chile pico de gallo using red onion for color, italian parsley instead of cilantro (wife says cilantro tastes like soap) , lots of garlic a squeeze of lime, sea salt and black pepper.
It's Taco Tuesday!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
49,631 Posts
I do like making my own pizza dough.

Here's the green chile pico de gallo using red onion for color, italian parsley instead of cilantro (wife says cilantro tastes like soap) , lots of garlic a squeeze of lime, sea salt and black pepper.
It's Taco Tuesday!

View attachment 3752295

you wife and I share that gene, or whatever causes it,

Cilantro tastes like soap to me as well,

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
Same here.
We just changed BBQs from a barrel smoker/grill we've had for ever To a 22" Weber kettle with a smoker & rotisserie stack on top.

Added a shelf unit behind for a nice little BBQ Pit.

Reactions: Estaban and SDigger

·
Registered
454 Posts
I take that back, just the 30" model with same features.
Thanks for the link afraid I'm gunna have to get a new grill soon but I like to get every ounce of use out of things. Haven't told the wife it's on the fritz yet just keep limping it along acting like everything's normal

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I need a smoker for sure. There's this guy who has an amazing huge traveling BBQ/smoker set up so I go buy brisket from him all the time. I don't have to time to sit and feed a smoker all night.

The weber looks interesting.

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
I missed the question put to me whether deer eat my garlic. Don’t know, but the elk sure did. It’s why I had to put up an 8-ft fence around the garden, even though I told the wife that by eating garlic tops the elk were internally marinating.

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
I need a smoker for sure. There's this guy who has an amazing huge traveling BBQ/smoker set up so I go buy brisket from him all the time. I don't have to time to sit and feed a smoker all night.

The weber looks interesting.
The webbers with the "stackers" from Cajun Bandit work very well as a smoker too. Are you familiar with "the snake method"? I can get one to run controllably for about 10 hours at this point. I wouldn't run that long unattended though.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
We accidentally discovered that Jalapenos actually turn red when they ripen (who knew!), so we intentionally let some ripen & some not, there's a noticeable difference in the flavor as well.
Banana peppers go great on Pizza believe it or not. & we also use sliced cherry tomatoes instead of sauce! Talk about adding flavor to home made pizza!
View attachment 3752197

View attachment 3752198

Wifey likes pepperoni I like 4 cheese & capers!
View attachment 3752199
Us southwestern folks know! (Red chile is just green chile.) But I absolutely agree, red jalapenos have a flavor all their own & we also let some of ours ripen.

A word of caution if this is new to you: the texture turns a bit raisin-y/leathery.

You can also pan fry them!

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
We mainly use them in things like chili, so the long slow wet cook takes care of the leathery texture. We also let them ripen on the plant so they are still "fresh" not stored after cutting & that seems to help as well.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Green chile pork stew is one of my favs. Especially on a cold winters day.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
While we're on the chile topic here's my recipe for tasty spicy cowboy beans. If you want to spice up your pinto beans and make a meal out of them, this is it. Warning, may promote gas.

Spicy Cowboy Beans

1 cup of dried pinto beans, rinsed

1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed

1 cup chopped tomato

1 cup diced pork shoulder

1/2 cup pork chorizo

1 cup diced poblano chile, roasted, peeled and seeded (usually takes 2 poblano's)

1 teaspoon mexican oregano

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

8 cups of water

Put everything in a pot or crock pot and gently simmer for 3 hours or until beans are done. serves 6 to 8.

·
Diamond Member
13,170 Posts
since this is a survival forum, I thought I would post an emergency western stew/chili recipe that can be made when either of both beans and/or meat is in short supply

·
Diamond Member
13,170 Posts
Is there such a thing as 'emergency survival cornbread'?

YES, big time .for real.. only about 10% of the corn grown in the us is sweet corn, <1% is popping corn, the rest is basically grown as chemical feed stock to make plastics and ethanol , but it is also the corn used to make masa ( corn flour) . Normally just grinding up dent corn and making corn meal ( if you have ever made cornbread you know this ) it doesn't hold together to well, it's not like you can slice this and make a sandwich.

Indians say the white man stole the corn but not the secret of the corn . Some say the South lost the Civil War because they had a corn and pork diet short on Niacin and other B vitamins Niacin Deficiency: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment causing pellagra , which was a common disease in America and the rest the world before they started "fortifying " things like bread with niacin and B vitamins . the North had a Beef / wheat based diet generally speaking and didn't suffer from the "disease" really just a vitamin shortage before they understood vitamins ( British Navy Vitamin C scurvy found limes cured it gave them an incredible strategic advantage longer at sea with a higher percentage of healthy sailors some say the reason the ruled the sea .. look it up
So corn, all corn has tons of unavailable vitamins humans need but can't get from corn and there are Tons of dent corn that due to taste and texture doesn't do well at the grocery store folks won't buy it .
HOWEVER if you know the secret of corn you can free up those vitamins , change it's texture to make a nice dough to make tortillas, corn chip, all sorts on good tasting stuff the trick is
Nixtamalization

some video's to show you how to process corn with store bought alkali and then one using wood ash

I have no idea why the font and size changed , I didn't do it but just ignore it and learn how to make a very nutritious food from something that if relied on too much will give you a vitamin deficiency disease and maybe kill you

r

61 - 80 of 101 Posts