Gunboards Forums banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
49,469 Posts
I wouldn't think garlic growing could turn political but this might be the place to find out. I'll be planting in the next couple weeks or so. I'd be willing to give it a go.

It's not exactly Native American, Three Sisters subsistence horticulture before the encroachment and domination of Western supremacism but it's still gardening.

on second thought...
...maybe this is a bad idea

thanks for the reminder,

I need to replant as well

·
Platinum Bullet Member
49,469 Posts
I can honestly report that I have not had one Vampire bother me since I started growing a strain of Sweet Red Spanish three decades ago.

...coincidence?

my wife hates garlic, (and yet I grow it,,, ) and is very pale,

but she sleeps all night, not during the day,

she does like bats,, ,

hmmmm

·
Super Moderator
6,321 Posts
Ah garlic - we used to grow 800 heads a year - ate a third, gave away a third, planted a third. We’ve scaled way back, but we’ve planted over 200.

·
Registered
362 Posts
That sounds good. Do the deer eat it?

(Of course they do, sigh.)

(I just assume that I don't know. That word again.)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
49,469 Posts

white tails do not mess with it or onions,

I plant it away from my normal garden spot, simply cause I have planted onions all over my garden plot and everything I read recommended not planting garlic in an onion spot,

I fence in my garden, I don't fence in the garlic plot

·
Platinum Bullet Member
49,469 Posts
FWIW, I plant the same stuff Dragonsdad plants (got the first set of bulbs from him) and also a vintage Fla strain I got from Woodsrunner (RIP friend) years ago,
stuff that Woods found on an old plantation,

both do well growing side by side,

·
Silver Bullet member
32,918 Posts

No, you're good.
We get Mule deer that come in for one particular sour apple tree.
IMGP2794.jpg

Oddly enough, garlic is one of the few plants they don't care for. I might find a bite or two of top-growth missing off one plant in the Spring but that's it. I always imagine a yearling trying a bite and deciding... Nope!

·
Silver Bullet member
32,918 Posts
I'm sorry. I know staying on topic is important.
If there aren't any objections, I can come back to this and start a proper thread closer to planting.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Gardening is great! I can grow anything here in the desert in winter. Summer crops not so much. The record temps this year are too much to even have a mater set flowers.

·
Diamond Member
13,142 Posts
I've post extensive gardening tips for desert gardening in the past , including tomato biggest tip is dig or use a deep trench and stake out shade cloth above the plant cooler deeper you dig summer desert sun is more than the plant needs , does need extra water

and I mean deep say 5-6 foot and maybe 2 foot wide shade cloth about 1 foot above ground slope at one end so you can easily access the plants ..don't know you so may more or less deep more or less wide run the trench so the plants only get full sun part of the day so north south most places and adjust the width to control hours of full sun

you can go shallower IF you use serious shade cloth but remember depth is all about temps not sun, so dig and take temps look up what the plant needs and create it may take some trial and error .. some folks make multiple trenches first year different depths and widths and then jut stick to the most productive arrangement.. or might ask local gardening club who have already figured it out

maybe able to get away with just gardening normally on the north side of a house or barn soil temp soil temp soil temp

·
Silver Bullet member
32,918 Posts
Gardening is great! I can grow anything here in the desert in winter. Summer crops not so much. The record temps this year are too much to even have a mater set flowers.
Everybody gotta be someplace.
I'm a zone 5 (something) in the northern Great Basin. Federal hydrologist's report has our yearly precipitation average @ 6". It concluded by claiming 10" would presage a return of the Pleistocene inland lakes.

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
I garden in planters, because I have to. But we manage to grow tomatoes, 3 kinds of peppers Banana, jalapeno & green peppers, beans, & several herbs. They all taste way, way better than store bought & with a bit of creative planning we can "Live from the garden" a little.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Now your talking my language, salsa and pico de gallo! Extra hot please.

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
We accidentally discovered that Jalapenos actually turn red when they ripen (who knew!), so we intentionally let some ripen & some not, there's a noticeable difference in the flavor as well.
Banana peppers go great on Pizza believe it or not. & we also use sliced cherry tomatoes instead of sauce! Talk about adding flavor to home made pizza!

Wifey likes pepperoni I like 4 cheese & capers!

Reactions: SDigger

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Dang that all looks so delicious, Id venture to say this group is surviving just fine at the moment :D

41 - 60 of 101 Posts