Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up some helmets today & don't know which section of gunboards to place my question, but was hoping someone could offer some help with identifying these helmets as to what type, model, etc.. as well as dating them.

The first one, when I initially saw it reminded me of the WWI US doughboy type.. It has 3 straps & has some odd green colored paint.. not sure if the paint is original or added post war or what... Any input is appreciated.. (pics 1 -3)

The second one is British & I think it is one of the MK models.. Not sure when this was made, but the lining definitely looks modern.. has a tag in liner & I believe 1987 on the cotton tag is actually the date. Is this helmet older with a new liner, or is the helmet also 1987? I want to take out the liner to get a better look.. I see that it has a green sock like cover over a plastic shell inside the steel shell.. How do I remove this? (pics 4 -7)

The last one looks like a German one, but it is Bulgarian.. Just looking to see what date this could be from & how long was this helmet type made/used.. (pics 8-11)

Anything anyone can tell me about these is greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
The first looks like a US civil defense helmet. The second is a Mk4 turtle helmet-British used from 1944 to about 1960's...? The third is a Bulgarian m/36 style helmet that was made from the 30's to 70's. If it has a shield on its left side its wartime if not probably post war 50's 60's. The last one is the liner I assume-then I would say 50-60's.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man Vic knows his helmets!
Yes he does..

Only one I'm questioning is the 1st one,,

Don't look like any of the civil defense helmets I'm seeing on ebay & websites..

looks like a british WWI one I see .. the pic makes the top look higher than it is..

Sort of almost looks like a chinese one, but seen a british WWI type of helmet that was this color green..

I found a marking on it, but can't make it out other than a number 9

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought #1 looked like Sergeant Yorks helmet.

Hmm.. it does look alot like it, but the color is more a different green,, it's not olive drab.

Looks like this color & helmet looks same shape as this one I see on ebay.

What's it called & is it WWI or WWII?

·
Registered
154 Posts
#1 may be one of the commercially produced helmets or a parade helmet. There are many types of these. The liner set-up is not like anything I have seen in an issue helmet. As to the green paint, there is no telling who has painted it during it's history.

I believe #3 is actually an M36 (C?) with the later liner.

·
Registered
564 Posts
the second helmet was used well into the 1980's by the British army (I know I wore one), the helmets were old (probably made in the 40's and 50's) but there were plenty of brand new liners about for them - to get the authentic look You need to scrim it up with a net and lengths of sacking !

the first helmet looks to me very much like a British WW1 helmet (or a US copy) and as such would be worth quite a bit over here in England I would defininetly follow up on that one with some more research

regards

Richard

·
Registered
18 Posts
OK The last is a Bulgarian M 36 a as it's brim is crimped. According to my infos this pattern was produced in the CSR (Czechosolvakia), the later Model was made after the German occupation by the Germans. They were actually used very long after the war when the new model was alredy available.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
OK The last is a Bulgarian M 36 a as it's brim is crimped. According to my infos this pattern was produced in the CSR (Czechosolvakia), the later Model was made after the German occupation by the Germans. They were actually used very long after the war when the new model was alredy available.
This is the Bulgarian M36, made and used in quantity during WWII, and maybe evn still, though they were finally being phased out, I gathered. In 1951 the Bulgarian army adopted a helmet that was a clone of the WWII Italian in order to make up for losses in M36's. They made another batch, the M51/72 in the 70's, which have a rolled rim and are more like the Italian than the M51, which has a straight brim. I'm not sure how many of both models were made, but they never really replaced the M36, and most photos of Bulgarian troops show more of the M36 model, mixed in with the others. Incidentally, some German M1916's turned up in Bulgaria and were used at least into WWII, if not later. These were apparently left over from WWI.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
That liner on the first one is like nothing I've seen on a Brit helmet before-thats why I guessed CD as its also a bit higher and the US did issue this style helmet to CD personnel. The Bulgarian is tough as both look so similar. I'll post a picture for you from my collection of a Bulgarian WW2 helmet.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for the education. I enjoyed all the info & am learning alot more..

K, now I want to collect more helmets, lol.

Ideally I wanted some WW1 & WWII German ones, but they're always out of my price range.

In regards to the first one, I'll take more pics & do some measurements, etc..

I've been browsing sites & ebay to look at pics & see so many possibilities of what it could be.. there is a mark, but my eyes fail to recognize it other than a number 9 which may only be remnants of a date.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Nice helmets you have Tuco :)

I just took some more photos & will post them once I get them onto my pc..

The leather straps, 2 of which I think were the liner, & one for chin strap, are attached rather crudely.. I don't know if it's original or some post war repair, or if this was a home made repair by some previous owner.. They look like some sort of tack/pin on one side, but more like a staple that's bent & folded over like a cotter pin on an automobile.. none of them look the same to me, but could be from abuse/damage, etc...

The marking, I think is BS 9 , or could be 8S 9 & is found on the underside of the rim next to where the chin strap mounts.

I measured the lip/edge that is around the outside of the rim at 3/16"

The diameter is 12 1/8"
Depth is roughly 4 1/2

The rim extends somewhere between 1 7/8 & 2" from the dome on the sides and 1 1/2" on the front & back.

The chin strap is 7/8 wide while the other 2 are 1 1/8 wide.

Another characteristic I discovered, that I didn't notice before was that around the bottom of the dome, when I feel its surface, I felt ripples & then looked closer & there are indeed faint ripples around the lower portion of the dome & they're 7/8" apart

There's also a hole in the center of the dome, + two that look like damage of some sort near the other..

I'm going to prepare the pics

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
I think that first helmet may be a construction helmet from the 1930s wpa projects.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Here are some pictures for your reference from helmets in my collection. The first are two British Mk1 helmets-an early war and later war version The early one has a spring linked chinstrap covered in cloth, the later a simple roller buckle adjustment. The early is smooth and the later textured and a lighter green. The liners are an oil cloth construction.

The Bulgarian m/36 is one of the later versions made for the Bulgarian armed forces by the Germans just prior to WW2. It is a model "C" denoting only one vent hole and a unrolled edge. The Bulgarian tricolor shield can be seen as well. It has its original wartime liner. The earlier version had a more pronounced "ridge" at the top and two vent holes. It was designated a model "A".

The last one is a Czech m/26 that is often confused with the Bulgarian helmets. It was replaced by the m/34 bowl type helmet.

On the MK4 "Turtle" I apologize on the date of issue being into the 70's. I had thought the bowl type helmet was in use by then and had replaced the Mk4 into reserve use or storage by then.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
I really don't think the 1st helmet has a military application with that liner style. Its just too feeble and may well be a WPA or a CD helmet.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Its a pattern 1944

The british one is a pattern 44 and was still issued after I left the regulars in 1988. The helmets were made in the war and shortly after. There were so many that they were a stores issue and the liner was called a spider. they were a pain and collected cam creme on the sock. Glad when mine was replaced with a Mk6 Ballistic in 1986. The spider was personall issue and kept with you till discharge or even on reserve. You were supposed to keep them clean but they we pigs to launder properly! The spider was /is held in place by a steel stud into a popper and when you ran the spike would bounce into the top of your head!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts