Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Probably about $125-150.00, with the sling. Without, around $100.00. Nice looking sling.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Your training rifle is also a Type 38 although the nose cap looks like a Type 99. Most of these were manufactured by private companies not military arsenals. Sometimes features from more than one rifle model are used. Some are more like toy clicker guns but many are high quality training copies that almost function like their military counterparts. Yours appears to be such a training rifle. They also made aluminum blade training bayonets as well but unlike the universal fit Type 30 military bayonets, not all training bayonets will fit all training rifles. I can't tell by the picture but does you rifle have any kind of kanji stamps on the buttstock? these rifles were used by military schools primarily. Many of them are stamped with the school name

I have a Type 38 training rifle as well. I paid $80 for mine. Like the early military T-38s the rifle parts on mine are matched by assembly number. It has a school stamp on the stock which I submitted to have translated but nobody seemed to take notice of my request or they never got my emails. I just wish I had the sling and cleaning rod like yours does. That's two big + marks for your rifle

Nice piece though. The Japanese Firearms forums support this site, Banzai. You can find Japanese trainer data sheets and School stamps on this site. http://www.gunboards.com/sites/banzai/

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
First, you have a hybrid unofficially designated as a T-38/99 trainer. It has a T-38 configuration receiver (two gas ports) with a T-99 long configuration stock with the characteristic squared off forend. Brad is corrrect about the sling: it's not a commonly-encountered variant and is likely worth more than the trainer to certain collectors.

I'd be interested to know if it has an pistol grip markings, i.e., on the underside of the stock between the rear sling swivel and the tip end of the triggerguard tang. Also, the photo seems to indicate the lack of any receiver markings. Can you confirm?

C/

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
hatsumiya,
if you post your pictures here, you will no doubt get an answer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, you have a hybrid unofficially designated as a T-38/99 trainer. It has a T-38 configuration receiver (two gas ports) with a T-99 long configuration stock with the characteristic squared off forend. Brad is corrrect about the sling: it's not a commonly-encountered variant and is likely worth more than the trainer to certain collectors.

I'd be interested to know if it has an pistol grip markings, i.e., on the underside of the stock between the rear sling swivel and the tip end of the triggerguard tang. Also, the photo seems to indicate the lack of any receiver markings. Can you confirm?

C/
There are no markings on the receiver ring or between the rear sling swivel and triggerguard. There is the number 13 on the bayonet lug.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
There are no markings on the receiver ring or between the rear sling swivel and triggerguard. There is the number 13 on the bayonet lug.
Thanks. Will be tough for me to identify the maker w/o more markings. These unmarked trainers are, unfortunately, pretty common. However, the T-38/99 hydrids are a fairly uncommon variant.

C/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.