Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Banned
10,840 Posts
this is the 1st gun i've ever fired...i leave it to the experts lol but i'm just saying i had 3 different people look at it and call 6.5 without knowing anything. that being said i have no idea if they know what they are talking about. what happens if you put a 7 in a 6.5? will it just not fire or will it blow up in my face?
The 6.5 is slightly smaller, like Bob said, and when you fire it in 7mm bore it will either not engage the rifling or engage rifling only partially. Form the description of your experiment, it appears that the projectile mostly engaged the rifling.

Overall, 7mm Mauser and 6.5 Swede were made for small ring mauser action, there should be no blow ups because the action is designed to handle the pressure generated by either of the cartridges.

The problem is the mechanical condition of the action. You have a Spanish military mauser in 6.5 Swede, Spaniards did not make their military rifles in 6.5 Swede. Do you see the problem?

· Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,303 Posts
Ok: On the left is a 6.5X57 Mauser (Your using 6.5X55 same ball different cartridge length) on the right is a 7X57 Mauser Look at the difference in the ball. Until you get that rifle checked by a competent gunsmith, your playing Russian Roulette.

Attachments

· Platinum Bullet Member
7,663 Posts
I am still baffled as to how the serials on the receiver and barrel can be the same if it is NOT in 7mm Mauser or 7.62 CETME. Either the barrel is sleeved, which seems unlikely, or you have 6.5 rounds rattling down a 7mm pipe.

Have you tried a muzzle test? Take a 6.5x55 round and poke it into the muzzle. If it swallows the whole bullet and only stops at the case, then it is NOT a 6.5 mm bore.

Is there no writing at all on the top surface of the receiver ring above the serial number and vent hole?

· Diamond Member
4,321 Posts
Okay, if you fired 6.5mm in this thing, what does the spent brass look like. Who told you it was 6.5mm in the first place? What everyone here has been trying to tell you is that these rifles were never made in that caliber.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Okay, if you fired 6.5mm in this thing, what does the spent brass look like. Who told you it was 6.5mm in the first place? What everyone here has been trying to tell you is that these rifles were never made in that caliber.
Brass is attached - can you tell from that? I haven't had a chance to pickup 7x57 yet

Attachments

· Registered
3,568 Posts
I see that too Maximus. This guy scares me.......I have been collecting guns for years and cannot look at a chamber and say what it is. He even states it is his first gun........He must be waaaayyyyyyyyy smarter than me.

· Diamond Member
4,321 Posts
This is just my opinion, but I think you've fire-formed those cases out to 7mm. The shoulders of the case necks look rounded to me. If you have any unfired 6.5x55, compare the shape of the case to the fired ones. If this is your first time shooting, one of the things you need to know is you don't just guess the caliber of a firearm. It is possible to fire the wrong ammunition in a rifle, if it happens to fit in the chamber. I was easily able to chamber a 6.5x55 round in my 7mm Spanish Mauser. You couldn't pay me enough to fire that ammunition from that gun. You don't want to be around the one time that rifle decides it's no longer ok to fire the wrong stuff in it. You said that 'without knowing anything', 3 people have said it was a 6.5mm rifle. It's time to find someone who does know something & have them tell you what the rifle is. Go find a gunsmith.

8,113 Posts
this is the 1st gun i've ever fired...i leave it to the experts lol but i'm just saying i had 3 different people look at it and call 6.5 without knowing anything. that being said i have no idea if they know what they are talking about. what happens if you put a 7 in a 6.5? will it just not fire or will it blow up in my face?
The photographs are generally too out of focus to be able to tell anything about the ammunition. The fired cases do have backed out primers, no doubt about that. It is/was a Spanish military rifle originally made in 7mm, it is still in 7mm as far as I can tell, there is no reason at all to think that it is 6.5 other than the OP has fired 6.5 ammunition in the rifle. Good thing it wasn't a Swede in 6.5 and someone said it was a 7mm.....

ice1874193, take my advice and take this rifle to a REAL gunsmith, the opinion of "3 different people" means absolutely nothing. And I have a great deal of respect for the posters who have participated in this thread but they and I are looking a bad photographs and can't really tell anything about your gun so we and our opinions are only a little more valuable than those you already have. Have the gunsmith check it out and let him guarantee the caliber and the condition of the gun. Do not talk to a counter man in a sporting goods store, talk to a trained gunsmith in his own shop and with his own tools and a good reputation. Don't shoot it again until you have done this. IF (a BIG if) you have a 6.5mm rifle and you chamber and fire a 7mm round in it, you may not be happy about the results.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.