Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

This sling came with an M1 carbine I purchased. I’m sure it’s not an original M1 carbine sling... repro?? It looks old and worn... just curious as to what it is... thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure it's intended for the M1 Carbine at all. What's the total length? It looks pretty long for an M1 Carbine.

Looks to be about 40 3/4”... I added a couple photos.

I purchased this carbine mostly because of the beautiful I cut stock (Properly marked in sling well, cartouche on right side, and “P” on pistol grip. The barrel and receiver unfortunately have been blued. Not your everyday blue either... the bluing looks very heavy and very durable. I wonder if this rifle was surplussed to a foreign county, stripped of its original finish, and this blueing was applied? Maybe that’s where the sling came from? Who knows....

The carbine will either remain this way ... or at some point, I will end up restoring it back to the green parkerization that it initially had. I have it all apart right now and all the parts look to be correct for 1st production Inland C block (Under 200,000 serial)... except the safety (flat smooth surface).

The flat bolt was stripped of its bluing and mirror polished. Half of the trigger group was also stripped of its finish and either polished like the bolt or nickel plated. Very weird to say the least... and very unfortunate.

Not a rifle for the serious collector... and some would question why I purchased it. Since being retire, I enjoy putting “Train wrecks” back to the way they should’ve remained. It will never be what it once was... but they’re always fun projects and I enjoy the finished result.

Sorry for the long wind response.
D

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not an M1 carbine for the serious collector because to the metal refinish... but still can’t take away the historical value. The stock is very nice and appears correct for 1st production “C” block. I can live with the blued finish. I’m not going to restore the finish to park... it is what it is.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.