Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeing a lot of Webley revolvers in various Mk's where the 455 cylinder was shaved for 45acp. Also reading 45 acp maybe a little to a lot on the hot side. I guess depending on how early the gun. I can purchase PPU 455 ammo. Right now and stock up. The question- can the current 455 ammo be chambered in any or all period 455 revolvers where the cylinder has been shortened? Perhaps using the 1/2 moon clips. Or some clip or trick?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am sitting here wondering if the solution might be to build the cylinders back up with shim stock cut and pinned in place? And, replace the extractor if those were shaved.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
EXACTLY! Thank you. Who would have though 455 ammo would be more available the 45 auto rim. That and 455 ammo should be loaded to 455 specs.

I found them:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PPU makes .455??
Is that wrong? I have a bad memory. Could it be Fiocci? I had to Google. It maybe Fiocci. I get mixed up and to make it harder for me, I have seen Fiocci and PPU stacked sidexside with identical looking ammo in other calibers. That was back when things were normal.

I saw some 455 at a LGS. I am going back today. I dont have a gun for it. The way things are right now, I will buy in anticipation of future needs.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Answered in another forum.
Yes Fiocchi .455 ammo can be fired by modifying moon clips w/a dremel.
I use their product in my shooter Webleys w/no problem.
Occasionally (used to be) Midway would have it on sale for $29.95

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Search you tube, about shooting 455 in a shaved cylinder. i can’t recall his name but he is a writer for several publications and he did as mentioned above, Take moon clips and gently open them up for the 455 brass.

Reactions: fourbore

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Some guy also makes a plate that acts kinda like a moon clip. Doesn't mess with extractor..etc.

Can always down load 45 AR

·
Registered
176 Posts
My solution for my shaved Enfield Mk Vl was 45 auto rim cases. Problem solved. Although the use of a modified moon clip sounds like another good fix.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
One other note. Some of the shaved cylinders have varying depths. Soooooo 455 rounds might actually work in “YOUR” specific example. Won’t hurt to try.

Reactions: fourbore

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This is how life has changed. I purchased 200 rounds of Fiocci today, just in anticipation that I might buy a Webley. I am almost as happy to score ammo, as I would had if I got the gun!

Product Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Font

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I’m very jealous. Nice score. My latest project to allow me to use small primered Fiocchi MkII .455 brass with small rifle primers [ have 9000] instead of using lg pistol primers [only have half of that many] in my Ruger Vaquero .45colt cas revolvers. A .020 shim with 6 holes. Had to replace the too puny hammer springs but they do fine now. I would be curious about the plastic moon clip deal. Here’s my latest Webley MkVI, an all correct .455 4 inch. A civilian gun but with military stamps too. At some point it got drafted.
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Wood Household hardware Cylinder Auto part Circle Tableware Wood Kitchen utensil Hand tool Saving Household hardware Wood Bicycle part Auto part Metal

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since, I d not yet have a Webley 445, I dont know if it will be shaved and need clips. I have these bookmarked at Brownell.

I assumed they are metal becasue there is a choice of blue or nickel.

Font Body jewelry Art Jewellery Metal

·
Administrator
3,192 Posts
I've owned a 25-2 in 45 acp since I was young, and bought several hundred rounds / casing of 45 auto rim and used to reload. My son had a non shaved Webley and a couple hundred rounds, but he sold it a number of years ago. And a couple of years ago, a friend came across a full case of original ammo, but it was more than I wanted to pay for a round where I did not own a gun. But as you said, I should have bought it, in case :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
They will work fine on .45acp brass in a shaved revolver but not on .455 brass. Also .45 autorim works well in a shaved gun. You also need boolits that are closer to .454 than .451 caliber.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They will work fine on .45acp brass in a shaved revolver but not on .455 brass. Also .45 autorim works well in a shaved gun. You also need boolits that are closer to .454 than .451 caliber.
The 455 brass is larger in diameter where the clip grabs. I have been advised here that a little fitting needed and the clips will then work.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have been blessed my shaved Webley works perfect with 455 ammo.. But a friend was not so lucky and purchased one of these spacers. Worked good for him and acted a little like a loose loading star.

That looks good. I bookmarked the link. The only down side is this solid spacer is $50 and clips are $1 each. Given what this hobby cost and the quality look of the product, I would not hesitate to try this if , I needed.

I read this note from the seller:

BEFORE PURCHASIBG YOU SHOULD CHECK YOUR HEADSPACE. THIS CAN BE DONE IN 2 WAYS: INSERT A 0.093 SHIM BETWEEN THE UPPER PART OF THE CYLINDER AND THE RECOILL SHIELD FIT SHOULD BE SNUG WITH NO GAP. THE SECOND METHOD IS TO MEASURE THE LENGTH OF THE CYLINDER FROM FRONT TO BACK (SHOULD MEASURE 1.456 JUST SHY OF 1 1/2 INCHES). NEXT, WITH A CARTRIDGE AT THE TOP OF THE CYLINDER (IN THE FIRING POSITION) WITH THE CONVERSION PLATE INSTALLED THERE SHOULD BE A GAP OF APPROX. 0.003.TO 0.005 WHICH IS IDEAL. THE REASON FOR CHECKING HEADSPACE IS BECAUSE SOME CYLINDERS WERE SHAVED FOR 45 LC INSTEAD OF 45 ACP. ACP IS THE MOST COMMON AND THAT IS WHAT THIS PLATE IS DESIGNED FOR. ALSO EVEN IN 45 ACP SOME VARIATIONS MAY OCCUR. SOME SHAVED CYLINDERS ARE NOT SHAVED ALL THE WAY DOWN ON THE RATCHET POST AND A SLIGHT TAPERED SHOULDER MAY BE PRESENT AT THE BOTTOM. THE CENTER HOLE IN THE PLATE SHOULD BE BIG ENOUGH TO PASS OVER BUT IF NOT THE SHOULDER MAY HAVE TO BE FILED. 455 WEBLEY CARTRIDGES ARE AVAILABLE FROM FIOCCHII THIS WILL ALLOW YOU TO FIRE THE SAFER 455 LOADS

Now we know why 455 ammo still works well in some shaved cylinders.

In case the link breaks in the future, here is the product:

Wood Natural material Finger Cosmetics Circle

1 - 20 of 29 Posts