Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
carlc42
Gunboards Member

USA
41 Posts
Posted - 01/16/2004 : 2:31:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it would look good on my new rusky with the black thumbrest grips. How much would that put me back? Are they just as reliable as the original brownish-red safeties?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I know the difference between my rifle and my gun."

MakarovaNik
Gunboards Super Premium Member

USA
306 Posts
Posted - 01/16/2004 : 2:43:43 PM

Thanks for asking this! I'm in the same boat. I just called Makarov.Com and they told me they only have the plum colored ones. I called a couple of other places and I got the same response. Let me know what you find.

Wanted: Bargain price excellent condition Ruskie MilSurp. Email me if you've got one.

lilbucu
Gunboards Premium Member

136 Posts
Posted - 01/16/2004 : 3:55:10 PM

whats the difference ? just color? just wondering.

Jehzsa
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1548 Posts
Posted - 01/16/2004 : 4:12:01 PM

I'm pretty sure they can be blued. Brownell's 44/40 cold blue solution. Makarov.com has it. USE THE GLOVES. If the solution touches the skin, have lots of chewable vitamin C tablets handy. Gorge on a bunch of them AFTER washing thoroughly with soap and water. And then gorge on some more. Lots.

"And St. Attila raised the hand grenade up on high saying: "Oh Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayest blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

carlc42
Gunboards Member

USA
41 Posts
Posted - 01/16/2004 : 4:18:11 PM

yeah, just the color. i think that a brownish-red safety on an otherwise black pistol looks out of place.

"I know the difference between my rifle and my gun."

careless
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
136 Posts
Posted - 01/16/2004 : 4:18:44 PM

I kind of like the look of the plum colored hammer and safety! Two tone effect and all that. Anyway, I have not seen blued ones advertised anywhere.

MakarovaNik

USA
306 Posts
Posted - 01/16/2004 : 4:25:45 PM

The Ruskie commercials came with black safeties. I don't mind the plum ones but since I've got a black hammer I'd like to get a black safety. I wouldn't want Dragomer and the Mak fashion police knocking on my door.

Wanted: Bargain price excellent condition Ruskie MilSurp. Email me if you've got one.

Dreamer

USA
449 Posts
Posted - 01/16/2004 : 8:48:47 PM

The plum colored hammers and safeties make the Makarov unique and sets it apart. I like it and would not change it. It's a Makarov!

Dreamer

"If you believe it to be, it will be"

KreeL
Gunboards Premium Member

103 Posts
Posted - 01/16/2004 : 9:10:57 PM

Exactly - without the plum colored hammer and safety my Maks would suddenly look like ordinary guns. I think I read somewhere that the plum color comes from a hardening process of some sort. Wear it with pride!

"The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."
-- Patrick Henry

Spike
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
669 Posts
Posted - 01/16/2004 : 9:38:03 PM

The uniquely plum-like purple color -- I believe the general concensus is -- is a result of some process done to the metal; whether hardening, chemical treatment of some kind, or simply a different blueing process. It is blued, just discolored. Components of other guns have been known to change color over time. I find it to be a very distinctive mark of character to a handgun with a mature and diverse history.

Embrace the plum!

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Teakwood

1987 Posts
Posted - 01/16/2004 : 11:36:38 PM

I have two blue/black safeties. If you have a plum-colored one you do not want, send me a pic and I will trade.

Those who fail to learn from history are destined to repeat it.

Edited by - Teakwood on 01/17/2004 09:54:32 AM

copycats
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
682 Posts
Posted - 01/17/2004 : 08:19:02 AM

Maybe I'm missing something, but could'nt you just sand and blue the safety yourself?

greywolf

USA
285 Posts
Posted - 01/17/2004 : 09:02:52 AM

Copycats,

No you can't re-blue it yourself. Well you can but it will still come out plum colored. The way I understand it is it has to due with when the parts were heat treated. I have seen pictures of complete slides plume colored. I think it adds style to the Maks myself.

Gary

Have Michigan CPL

I have a C&R License and am collecting Makarovs

Teakwood

1987 Posts
Posted - 01/17/2004 : 09:40:02 AM

I think you missed the mark, Gary. I think the isue is not only the metal content but also the temperarure of the blueing bath that makes for the plum color.

MakarovaNik

USA
306 Posts
Posted - 01/17/2004 : 09:43:42 AM

I agree that a Mak with plum color safety and hammer looks cool. But my buddy's Bulgie came with a black hammer and black safety. He wants a black safety to keep it the way he got it.

jimmy2

USA
1183 Posts
Posted - 01/17/2004 : 3:39:05 PM

To me, the plum-colored safety and hammer do look nice, but of course taste varies. I think the contrasting colors are part of a fine old practical gunmaking tradition, like a fire blue trigger or a color-case hammer on a blue frame.

littlebobbyi
Gunboards Member

USA
64 Posts
Posted - 01/17/2004 : 6:12:48 PM

The Bulgie I just picked up has a "blued" (black) safety and hammer. Perhaps it will change with time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If this works, I will be resurrecting the dead. Post that is.

Anyway, I kind of like the "plum" color of the safety and hammer. However, What do you think would happen if I polished it? I think a shiny, silver, polished safety, hammer, and maybe slide release would look cool. At least, I bet not too many people have seen one that way. BTW, I would only polish the exposed parts you see when the gun is together.

What is the consensus on doing that?

·
Registered
39 Posts
dremel and polishing

Well, I bought a spare parts kit for my Mak and polished the hammer, safety, side of trigger, and slide lock. I only polished the parts that you can touch when the gun is together. I didn't mess with the internals because I didnt want to screw things up. I left the original parts alone. What do you all think?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts