Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few M39s and my most recent pickup is a B barrel in great condition but the bolt isn't as smooth as I would like it when it gets about 3/4ths of the way back - it has some metal-on-metal grinding feel and hangs up a little (takes slightly more effort to pull it past this spot)

I cleaned the bolt really well and oiled it and the rail/track it rides on in the problem area but it didn't really help. Another M39 I have has a super slick bolt - I pulled it out and put it into this B barrel with the grindy bolt and it was smooth as butter. So it seems to me the problem is on the bolt and not in the receiver

wondering what else I can do to maybe get this bolt action smoothed out. I know its a minor thing and doesn't really affect the function of the rifle but it would improve my quality of life significantly just to satisfy my OCD :)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I have a few M39s and my most recent pickup is a B barrel in great condition but the bolt isn't as smooth as I would like it when it gets about 3/4ths of the way back - it has some metal-on-metal grinding feel and hangs up a little (takes slightly more effort to pull it past this spot)

View attachment 2081122

I cleaned the bolt really well and oiled it and the rail/track it rides on in the problem area but it didn't really help. Another M39 I have has a super slick bolt - I pulled it out and put it into this B barrel with the grindy bolt and it was smooth as butter. So it seems to me the problem is on the bolt and not in the receiver

wondering what else I can do to maybe get this bolt action smoothed out. I know its a minor thing and doesn't really affect the function of the rifle but it would improve my quality of life significantly just to satisfy my OCD :)
Did you put the grindy bolt in the other M39? I have an M44 that was the same way and I ended up sanding the horrible machining on the underside of the bolt where it was rasping over the bolt stop. Made a world of difference. That being said, I'm surprised a Finn is that way. Their quality control was way better, plus a B barrel was post-war (does bolt match?) so there wasn't even the exigencies of war as an excuse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you put the grindy bolt in the other M39?
strangely I neglected to try that previously. I just did and surprisingly it is smooth. So:
b barrel bolt in b barrel rifle = grindy
sk.y bolt in b barrel rifle = smooth
b barrel bolt in sk.y rifle = smooth

(does bolt match?)
yep matching bolt/receiver

Is it a two piece ejector? If so, is it seated correctly?
Can I tell without taking the action out of the stock? I've had the rifle a few days and haven't had the chance to do a full break down and clean yet. I'm also new to collecting M39s and mosins in general (yeah I'm late to the party)

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Can I tell without taking the action out of the stock? I've had the rifle a few days and haven't had the chance to do a full break down and clean yet. I'm also new to collecting M39s and mosins in general (yeah I'm late to the party)
Not that I know of. You'd have to take the rifle out of the stock. I suppose the ejector might not allow the gun to feed correctly if it wasn't seated right though. I wasn't thinking earlier. Sometimes a piece of the ejector gets caught when reassembling the two piece ejectors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.