Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really getting the bug to get reloading (mostly caused by the calibers I want to shoot not being available), so I need to build my reloading station and had a horrible thought. Can I reload in a shed that gets over 110 in the summer? My shed that I was going to set up my reloading in is uninsulated and not heated or cooled and for the mean time I cannot afford to cool it. Heating is not much of a problem 11 months of the year but cooling... Well that is a different story. I have a squirrel cage blower to setup ventilation for the shed, but when it is over 108 outside just moving air will not help. Do I need to move my reloading station and can I safely move it into one corner of my "office"? That would be in the house which is heated and cooled with an evaporative (swampbox) cooler.

Is it safe to set up my reloading station in the house? What precautions do I need to take to put this in the house.

Thanks in advanced for the input,

grey

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
I wouldn't. There is no danger but...

Heat and humidity (although humidity isn't an issue for you I am sure) are the enemies of power and primers. Also there will be nominal expansion of the case dimensions due to temperature.

The closer to 70 degrees and 35% humidity the better.. IMO.

·
Registered
14,346 Posts
Hi temps will degrade your powder.
It should be stored in the house but your house humidity can also be a problem if your powder cannisters are not sealed well.
If you are a smoker and you reload and smoke at the same puts your house in danger of fire.
If you cool your house with a swamp box do you leaving it running when you leave the house so your house never gets hot?
High humidity inside your house (consistently above 50% may cause your dies and press to rust depending on how you store them.

Equipment and powder concerns summary:
Assuming proper storage and handling of your powder there is little danger beyond the potential for rust.

Human factors summary: To the extent that high temps detracts from your concentration on the reloading, I consider the high temperature effects on your ability to perform with 100% reliability the greatest problem.

Do I need to move my reloading station and can I safely move it into one corner of my "office"? That would be in the house which is heated and cooled with an evaporative (swampbox) cooler.

Is it safe to set up my reloading station in the house? What precautions do I need to take to put this in the house.

Thanks in advanced for the input,

grey

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,908 Posts
+1 on Ireload's comments re: maintaining focus/concentration in that kind of heat.

Sounds like you have the option of NOT reloading during that hottest month. Sounds like a good month to do something else.
Pat

·
Registered
101 Posts
When I retired in 2000, I needed to expand my reloading area. I built a 8x12 shed in my back yard under a large tree. The first thing I did was to insulate the shed.walls and ceiling. The cost was around 1oo bucks. I installed unfinished cabinets and lined two cuboards with thinsilite. It is only 1/4inch thick and is easly installed.I then boughta a/c unit from walmart for around 120 buck. (110v). The temp here gets up to 110, so the a/c is great. It is heated by a wood stove and it keeps it nice and warm. I've checked the temp during the summer without the a/c on and it stays around 80 in the shed and cooler in the cabinets where I keep my powder. Take the time to insulate, it will save you alot of headaches in the furture and by all means get an a/c, there cheap.

·
Registered
25,208 Posts
Putting white shingles/rolled roofing or shiny sheet metal on the roof will help deflect heat.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just a thought, how about a small refrigerator with the setting at...75degres..
they make a 220 ac/heat window unit, 20ton i have one
There are no windows in this shed, it is a work/storage shed. 2x6 construction w/ a pitched roof on a concrete slab. Meter for the house is on the shed with a panel so power won't be a problem, but having AC in my shed and not in the house might be for my wife...lol. No, that wouldn't go over well at all. When I finish the rental I will insulate it, lid also. It has a small attic and is vented to let hot air out. It is 10'x12' w/ 8' ceiling w/ 1/2" OSB vapor barrier and Tongue and grove siding to match the house. So it should insulate up nicely.

grey

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't. There is no danger but...

Heat and humidity (although humidity isn't an issue for you I am sure) are the enemies of power and primers. Also there will be nominal expansion of the case dimensions due to temperature.

The closer to 70 degrees and 35% humidity the better.. IMO.
You'd be surprised, come July we're at 104 - 108 degrees with 40% - 60% humidity. I am concerned about heat on powder and expansion of brass. I myself do real good from about 80 - 90 with a slight breeze as long as it is not on me.

grey

·
Registered
19,294 Posts
All hands abandon ship

Read this thread (not the part about what bench to build) about why.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?343864-Portable-reloading-bench
Bottom line: Had the reloader in the attic and my dies and press started to rust.
Everything now in the house. Done with that experiment!!!!
Oh Yeah... I watched his drama first hand ... nice and cool work place in that attic but come August, the work bench
in the house idea was a NO Brainer ! Need environmentally friendly area for you and your components !!

The USS. Va Vet abandoned ship on the attic reloading idea !

·
Registered
19,294 Posts
Just get yourself a Lee handpress, or even better, get 2, and you can do it anywhere in your comfortable house. You will be surprised how effective and fast the handpress can be.
For casual shooters that might work fine. Gets old after a while and a nice "O" press usually gets bought for ergonomic reasons.

It is not a solution for those who shoot a lot and reload a lot but ....Lee Hand press will work if you want the frustrations.

·
Gold Bullet Member
21,409 Posts
Oh Yeah... I watched his drama first hand ... nice and cool work place in that attic but come August, the work bench
in the house idea was a NO Brainer ! Need environmentally friendly area for you and your components !!

The USS. Va Vet abandoned ship on the attic reloading idea !
You got that right Milprileb!!!

And Grey, forget about your powder and primers for a second. I moved indoors because ALL my dies and press were showing signs of rusting. My $1000 investment was going south...

·
Registered
133 Posts
How big is the shed? I have a 16x32 Morgan bldg. in south Texas I use for casting, reloading, that isn't insulated and it gets hot! I moved most of my handloading into a spare bedroom with plans on dividing the morgan bldg. up and insulating/air conditioning 1/2 of it. I don't enjoy handloading/sweating!

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How big is the shed? I have a 16x32 Morgan bldg. in south Texas I use for casting, reloading, that isn't insulated and it gets hot! I moved most of my handloading into a spare bedroom with plans on dividing the morgan bldg. up and insulating/air conditioning 1/2 of it. I don't enjoy handloading/sweating!
From Post #11

just a thought, how about a small refrigerator with the setting at...75degres..
they make a 220 ac/heat window unit, 20ton i have one

There are no windows in this shed, it is a work/storage shed. 2x6 construction w/ a pitched roof on a concrete slab. Meter for the house is on the shed with a panel so power won't be a problem, but having AC in my shed and not in the house might be for my wife...lol. No, that wouldn't go over well at all. When I finish the rental I will insulate it, lid also. It has a small attic and is vented to let hot air out. It is 10'x12' w/ 8' ceiling w/ 1/2" OSB vapor barrier and Tongue and grove siding to match the house. So it should insulate up nicely.

grey

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Putting white shingles/rolled roofing or shiny sheet metal on the roof will help deflect heat.

I agree and that thin reflective film can be used on the inside of the windows. An old timer friend of mine uses it in the summer and his house stays much cooler. Putting a mirror on top of your house is sure to tick off the nosey people using the satellites too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts