Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is not too far off topic. I am considering shipping a 1907 Aussie bayonet back to Australia and would like to know if that would be legal on both sides?

I figure there are plenty of people here who have done it or looked into doing it.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Depending on which State but for Queensland you will have to obtain authority from the Weapons License Branch, Queensland Police Service. That would mean that you would have to get a permit to acquire from a police station and submit the application. If you provide a picture of the bayonet and a description it will go faster. You will need to have this approval prior to shipping as once it hits Queensland, Australian Customs will seize it and then you only have 28 days to get a permit or else they may destroy it. Hope it helps.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,616 Posts
i have sent one or two thru ebay not realizing there were any issues and they got thru ok i guess-but i would appear that i was just lucky,doesn't sound like a good idea with the benefit of hindsight-scott

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
You mean you have a to have permission to import what is basically a long knife??? God Almighty, am I glad I live in the States!!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
You mean you have a to have permission to import what is basically a long knife??? God Almighty, am I glad I live in the States!!!
That is not half the BS that goes on here ,a truck driver friend of mine got charged for having a folding knife in his concell ,he got of the charge but it shows you what hapens when laws are made that can be interpreted any way the police want whith no come back on them

·
Administrator
9,623 Posts
The permit required in Australia to import a "knife/Bayonet/Edged weapon" is called a "B709A", it is an Australian Customs Service Form, which has to be filled out by the State Police ( Weapons or Firearms Branch) to show there is no LE objection to your importing the bladed item ( same goes for Firearms); having a Firearms licence just gets the job done easier, as one is already "known" to the Weapons Licensing Branch...No actual Licence or "Permit to Acquire" is needed for Bayonet possession, collecting or purchase....only its Public abuse/misuse is sanctioned.

The rules governing Importation of Bladed items into Australia is a Federal Prohibition...to keep out flick knives, fantasy knives, "Tactical knives," etc...Naturally such Shotgun approach also catches things like 18th Century swords, sabres and 19th and 20th Century bayonets.

Get the Right Paperwork ( time, money and sanity lost) and one can import almost anything....

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Silver Bullet member
146 Posts
Ohhhhhh ,,
I must ahve been lucky then, becouse I have purchased MANY bayonets from all over the world delivered to me here in NSW without any problems.
I have also recieved L1a1, Mannlicher Schoenauer, and Mauser bayonets from the states without any problems.
maybe I was just lucky but I have to check up on that in future. I wonder if their would be any problem in recieving a long Kitchen knife from international post ??

·
Gold Bulllet Member
802 Posts
Ohhhhhh ,,
I must ahve been lucky then, becouse I have purchased MANY bayonets from all over the world delivered to me here in NSW without any problems.
I have also recieved L1a1, Mannlicher Schoenauer, and Mauser bayonets from the states without any problems.
maybe I was just lucky but I have to check up on that in future. I wonder if their would be any problem in recieving a long Kitchen knife from international post ??
Same here, I have bought 5 or 6 bayonets from the US & had them shipped here with no problems. I can't remember exactly what the contents description on the parcels was though, I think one was something like, "Military Surplus Item", which you would think would get run through the x-ray machine, but never had a worry

·
Registered
570 Posts
in NSW the B709 form only has a squar to tick that states prohibited articles,hancuffs,vests,knives,ect ,i just took it for granted that a bayonet would be classed as a knife,this is only a new thing ,i found out when i enquired about inporting brass that can not be bought in Australia

·
Registered
394 Posts
I spoke to Aus customs on another matter and also mentioned bayonets onThursday , They said that antique military bayonets were not an issue but the fantasy type knives and spring asisted knives were and its those type of cheap crap that needed permits .
I buy most of my bayonets from the U.S and Canada and never needed an import form .

Go and get it there wont be any hassles, You dont need a permit !

pugs...

·
Registered
295 Posts
big knives

I'd do what pugs suggested but go a little furthur & get customs to show you where the knife doesnt break the law as, sure enough, it may get held up & you would be able to show that you consulted Customs & were acting in good faith.

I did something similar years ago & I have a letter sayng it was ok to own and show bayonets at a time when everyone was hysterical about them

A young butcher took 2 boning knives to a fight on a sports field recently - killed the guy and got 17yrs jail - fair enough i reckon

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice. It looks like I cannot get into trouble and the worst thing that would happen for the Aussie guy is he will not get his bayonet that he paid for. Someone pointed me to this site for the US Post Office.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/Imm/ab_012.htm#ep1572941 According to the USPS it is not reatricted on my side of shipping.

I think I will just tell him that if he wants it, he needs to make sure it is legal on his side. I will ship it, whether his goverment lets him have it will be his problem.

BTW... I noticed one of the restricted items was this:

Goods bearing the name “Anzac.”

I know the role Anzac played in your History during WWI, but why the restriction?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Lifted from the PDF regarding prohibited and restricted imports on Australian Customs website - formatting is screwed but you get the idea

Bladed WeaPons
Item description
Daggers and similar
devices
Sharp pointed, concealable, doubled edged knives (please note that both edges do not need to be
sharpened to be considered double edged). Traditional long swords and bayonets are excluded.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Woftam is right,
Traditional long swords and bayonets are excluded.
This is from my experience only and you should seek first hand advice before importing.
I'm in Queensland and bought a bayonet about 6 months ago from a member on this forum that lives in the USA.

On the customs Prohibited and restricted imports page
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4369.asp
it states no double sided knifes are permitted entry.
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Import_BladedWeapons.pdf

I contacted customs and asked about the bayonet the I was intending to purchase and they said that Bayonets are fine.
when it landed on my door step it had a "this item was inspected by customs" note inside it. mind you the knife was coated with grease and it had a leather scarab.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Never had a drama with bayonets. It will be delivered straight to your door. If they ever want a B709a for anything, getting the permit is not a drama. My last one was back in 4 days for when I faxed it.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Thanks for the advice. It looks like I cannot get into trouble and the worst thing that would happen for the Aussie guy is he will not get his bayonet that he paid for. Someone pointed me to this site for the US Post Office.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/Imm/ab_012.htm#ep1572941 According to the USPS it is not reatricted on my side of shipping.

I think I will just tell him that if he wants it, he needs to make sure it is legal on his side. I will ship it, whether his goverment lets him have it will be his problem.

BTW... I noticed one of the restricted items was this:

Goods bearing the name “Anzac.”

I know the role Anzac played in your History during WWI, but why the restriction?
UNLESS, it was paid for via paypal. Should he protest to them that he did not receive it FOR ANY REASON, paypal will refund his money and take it back from you. He will not have his bayonet, but he will have his money and YOU will have nothing.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good point. The terms I offered were that it was his responsibility to make sure he could receive it. I guess he could be dishonest and try the Paypal trick. But he is Australian, he wouldn't do that to me would he?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Dont stress mcginty.
Its generally up to the end user to compl with the laws and so far I've had no hassles from customs and never been ripped off by another militaria collector either here or in the U.S & Canada.

Generally if the person is happy to give you their home address then its a fair chance its all above board.
The best way to protect yourself is always use insurance as this covers both of you and either courior or USPS Prority as I've found this req's a signiture at the other end and that makes it traceable and safer way to send stuff

·
Registered
212 Posts
i have brought back from the uk and usa bayonets several times in my luggage when i have been to these countires all i did decalred them on the customs form had a quick look and sent me on the way i have also received them via mail from those countires aswell had no problems with bring them back

1 - 20 of 38 Posts