Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems about as good a forum as any to ask about a Ross.
Here goes.
Where would the matching numbers be on an 1905 Ross? I may be wrong in the year,but it appears to be the early model with the external lever for the magazine.It is still in full military rig. Seller says it has no visible numbers, is this correct and if not,where should they have been?
Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
They should be on the stock. As far as I know, there are no numbers stamped in the metal.

There is a saying, that Ross didn't build two rifles alike, and its not far from the truth. Look on the side of the buttstock, it might have several variations stuck out and restamped into the wood as the rifle was upgraded.

And if its one of the ones sold to U.S. , it will have the flaming bomb stamped behind the trigger guard.

That all assumes the stock hasn't been sanded.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
If the butt's been sanded, the serial number (but not the year) is stamped in the barrel channel.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,
Why no serials?I would think that a Ross,because of the tight tolerances, and associated problems, would at least have a matching reciever /bolt. After looking at some pictures,I believe what I will be purchasing will be MkII.From the pictures and description,The buttstock is covered in stampings.The price,@$500 OTD)I believe, is about right,and a Ross has been on my want list for a very long time.I prefer the earlier,slimmer models to the MkIII which just seems unbalanced and heavy to me.Granted,I have never even seen or held one of any model so my opinions are just that.Do the earlier models have the same bolt disassembly issues that the MkIII had? Some of the literature I have read states yes,others state no.

·
Registered
265 Posts
$500 is a pretty good price, most seem to be going in the $700 range that I've seen. The Mk. IIs do not have the bolt issues that the Mk. IIIs have, so you can shoot them with confidence. I too prefer the Mk. IIs, just seem to be a more elegant rifle, but I sure would like to get my hands on a good Mk. III just to complete the set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts