Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up at a gun show a couple months ago. Did not pay much for it. I bought it mainly because it was lapua and lapua is good stuff.
Anyone know roughly how old it is, and if it is boxer primed or berdan primed, and/or any other info you might have on it. I have not opened the box yet.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
It could be Berdan or Boxer primed but being that it's in English I'm guessing it may be Boxer. But years ago I got some brass once fired boxer primed. I reloaded that brass more times then I can count and it was still going strong. Rim was all distorted by AK and SKS extractors but still worked. Great brass for sure.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I think in the brown cardboard box it is Berdan. The Boxer stuff was in a white box.
But my memory isn’t 100% by any means.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any idea on it's age? I have never seen a lapua box like this. It looks like it has been around a while.
10 years, 20 years, older, younger? Just kinda curious.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,793 Posts
century sold a bunch of it like 10? years ago. I picked up a few boxes, expecting amazing accuracy. It was marginally better then steel cased WOLF, but barely.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Century had it for a very short time at a good price. The brown box Lapua, and also Sako ammunition was excellent quality, and non corrosive, berdan primed.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I broke down and opened the box. The headstamp is VPT 79. Guess that answers the question of when it was made. Since I opened it, might as well shoot it. Just not sure when I will get the time.
Too bad it is most than likely berdan.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I finally got some time today and shot it. It is berdan primed.
Accuracy (surprisingly) was not really any different than the cheap steel cased stuff. I was kinda expecting better.
It was significantly cleaner burning than the steel cased stuff though.

·
Gold Bullet Member
376 Posts
Bought some of this from SOG years ago. It was some what better accuracy wise than other imported ammo. Keep it around to accuracy check any 7.62x39 chambered rifles that might float into the collection. It is Berdan.
By the time I had a chance to buy, try it and go back for more it was sold out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts