Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day folks,

I'm normally a Lee-Enfield man, but in trying to expand my collection to cover English service rifles, I've come to an agreement to purchase this rifle.

I'm told it is a trade pattern variant of the 'Brown Bess' musket. I'll get more shots soon.

Any thoughts and comments are welcome.

Cheers,
Matt

·
8,095 Posts
It is a late 19th, early 20th Century trade gun made for the trade in Africa and Asia. They were sold by Stoeger and others in the US post WW2 as decorators since they were dead stock to the manufacturers in Belgium who needed the money to start up after the War. Some parts may be original to the 19th Century, this one looks to have a stock and furniture like the design of the mid-19th Century Enfield - the P39 through the P53. The lock is "modern", not military surplus, and purpose-made for this trade gun. There should be proof marks on the barrel and if so will probably show manufacture in Belgium. The condition is very nice and should be, they never made it into channels and stayed in factory warehouses. If proof marked, you could have it checked by a qualified gunsmith, it may be safe to shoot. Congratulations on an interesting acquisition.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TP, much appreciated. I got it as part of a 'package deal' from a gentleman who realised my interest in history and firearms as part of 'the big story. For interest, here are some quick shots of the other three rifles.

Again, any thoughts, comments or information would be most welcome.

Cheers,
Matt

·
8,095 Posts
Nice!

Wow, you have been busy! That's quite a collection, British military firearms of the late 19th Century all in one place, I am envious. The P53 is my favorite but the Snider and Martini are no slouches either. Good deal you got there.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
dude, those are worth killing for. i know little to nothing about arms that old but i'm in love. the 4th pic, is that the snider, i really like that one. NICE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts