Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought what was said to be an 1893 Spanish Mauser butt plate with screws on EBAY.

The butt plate had no markings on the top. The screws had this marking. I am not that familiar with Spanish markings, but it seems that the German 1893's have a sort of star like mark. Pictures of Ovideo Mausers I have seen do not seem to have markings on the screws.

I have seen this marking on screws from a Chilean 1895 rifle. Would you agree that these are Chilean screws?

I am attaching a butt plate picture that I took at the Springfield Armory of a Loewe 1893 Spanish rifle and a picture of the screw in question.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
the lower pic (cross over circle) looks to be a Chilean M95. Characteristic is the dot in the middle.

The upper pic (circle or sun with 6 rays) looks to be original Spanish. The same markings (incl. the flower with 6 leaves) are shown on Fritz' Spanish Mauser pages, from a Loewe made carbine: http://masterton.us/Spanish_Markings
A similar mark is used for Chile M95, but with a dot in the middle of the circle.

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.