Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this at an auction coming up that I have bookmarked. It is listed as a prototype barreled action. It looks to have an M14 type gas system using what appears to be a gas piston tappet. But the receiver is a total mystery.

The text on it says....."This lot has what consignor states is a prototype action base with Harrington & Richardson barrel, purchased when Navy Arms bought H&R lab"

It is different from, but still reminds me a bit of the prototype T25 and T47 rifles that I am also including pics of below.
Can anyone identify just exactly what this prototype barreled action is next to the two Garand stocks? Thanks.

Here's the pics....

Attachments

·
Registered
15,370 Posts
I think it was one of the early contenders for the contract competition that eventually became the M-14 rifle.

The contenders were the T-25 (Savage Stevens)

The EM-1/EM-2 British bullpup(s).

The Belgian "FAL" (not yet named as such, but in development)

The T-20 (a select fire Garand product improvement) done by John C Garand himself. (eventually adopted as the M-14)

& what I think you may have a T-22 (another garand-like product improvement done by H&R) It was chambered in the 30-06.

IIRC the T-22 was discontinued from the tests after some research on the German 7.92 kurtz round showed some advantages & the remaining tests were leaning more that way than to the 30-06 round. The T-65 (7.62mm NATO) was the eventual choice of round incidentally.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it was one of the early contenders for the contract competition that eventually became the M-14 rifle.

The contenders were the T-25 (Savage Stevens)

The EM-1/EM-2 British bullpup(s).

The Belgian "FAL" (not yet named as such, but in development)

The T-20 (a select fire Garand product improvement) done by John C Garand himself. (eventually adopted as the M-14)

& what I think you may have a T-22 (another garand-like product improvement done by H&R) It was chambered in the 30-06.

IIRC the T-22 was discontinued from the tests after some research on the German 7.92 kurtz round showed some advantages & the remaining tests were leaning more that way than to the 30-06 round. The T-65 (7.62mm NATO) was the eventual choice of round incidentally.
That's the same conclusion I came to Plonker. Still.....I can't find a picture ANYWHERE ELSE of the picture I posted. Bill.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is a illustration of this rifle in THE BOOK OF RIFLES by W.H.B. Smith and Joseph E. Smith. It is the type T25 rifle designed by the Springfield Armory. The text says it is selective fire, firing from a closed bolt on semi and open bolt on full auto. The action is unlike that of the M1/M14. I remembered the illustration when I saw your thumbnail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts