Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Based on appearance and stripper design it looks like .303 (Britsh)
FN = Fabrique National d’Armes de Guerre, Herstal BELGIUM
51 would be year of manufacture
VI = Mk6?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
+1 1951 Belgian-made .303 British.

I got hold of a lot of that exact same stuff and it came in exactly the same marked chargers and color/pattern bandoliers in the late-70's-early 80's.

The bulk of the .303 chargers I have today are marked IV FN from that bunch, and the bandos have been repacked several times with other makes of .303..

My recollection of the FN 51 .303 I had was that it was pretty decent, consistent, reliable ammunition. I may still have a few loose rounds of it around here somewhere.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I'm not entirely sure, but at some point the "Hotshot" brand was merely "rebranded" Prvi Partizan from Serbia, wasn't it? I think for a time it was a packaging for differing types of cartridges out of Eastern Europe, ex-Yugoslavia, Romania, etc.

I've got some black-tip .30-06 AP cartridges made in 1952 by FN. I've also found 1959 FN-made 7.62x51mm cartridge cases in Cuba.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Did FN adhere to the British primer color ID scheme? My FN ball has blue primer paint..tracer has Red, Just like UK ammo. If British code is followed by FN: Pictures in this thread show .303 tracer and AP.

·
Administrator
9,612 Posts
FN made .303 ammo (Mark VII) both Before WW II and after, (I have FN 40 and FN50 to 60s) for use in SMLEs, Vickers Lewis,and Bren, and of course, Aircraft MGs (of which there were many in pre-War Europe.).

The ammo is superb (the FN 40 gives 2" strings of 5 at 100 metres out of a P14(F)W. -- 70 years old, and the cases are Berdan Reloadable--.217").

The Clips are "Mark IV" (WW II style) Clips, made by FN Post war, for use by the Belgian, Dutch etc. Post-War Armies, and for export further afield. Powder (Poudre-Buskruit) was usually Bofors (Swedish) and Box Labels for Belgian and Dutch Use are Bi-lingual (French and Flemish).
Primer/Mouth seal colours were different from British...Magenta-Purple for Tracer (Tip also) and Yellow for Ball (pre War) Red Post War Ball ( Primer only); Special Tip colours Belgian/US style); Colours applied as per Buyer's wishes, or in Default, FN's practice.

This ammo is "CombatPacked "Rifle ammo ( Brit style 50 rpound Bando...Copy of Brit Made ammo supplied during and Post War to Belgium etc.) Another Post-War FN customer was Greece ( 6,5x54MS and .303).

When Liberated in Late 1944, FN did not waste time in getting back into ( Allied) Ammo Production, whilst the Gun Factory Staff went to Massive overhaul of US Rifles etc, and Manufacture of FN M30 Mausers, and FN Mod.D BAR.

Doc AV

·
Gold Bullet Member
649 Posts
FN made .303 ammo (Mark VII) both Before WW II and after, (I have FN 40 and FN50 to 60s) for use in SMLEs, Vickers Lewis,and Bren, and of course, Aircraft MGs (of which there were many in pre-War Europe.).

The ammo is superb (the FN 40 gives 2" strings of 5 at 100 metres out of a P14(F)W. -- 70 years old, and the cases are Berdan Reloadable--.217").

The Clips are "Mark IV" (WW II style) Clips, made by FN Post war, for use by the Belgian, Dutch etc. Post-War Armies, and for export further afield. Powder (Poudre-Buskruit) was usually Bofors (Swedish) and Box Labels for Belgian and Dutch Use are Bi-lingual (French and Flemish).
Primer/Mouth seal colours were different from British...Magenta-Purple for Tracer (Tip also) and Yellow for Ball (pre War) Red Post War Ball ( Primer only); Special Tip colours Belgian/US style); Colours applied as per Buyer's wishes, or in Default, FN's practice.

This ammo is "CombatPacked "Rifle ammo ( Brit style 50 rpound Bando...Copy of Brit Made ammo supplied during and Post War to Belgium etc.) Another Post-War FN customer was Greece ( 6,5x54MS and .303).

When Liberated in Late 1944, FN did not waste time in getting back into ( Allied) Ammo Production, whilst the Gun Factory Staff went to Massive overhaul of US Rifles etc, and Manufacture of FN M30 Mausers, and FN Mod.D BAR.

Doc AV
DocAV- is FN 48 .303 with a green primer regular ball?

·
Registered
241 Posts
It may depend on the country that ordered it. all 303 FN ball I have has a purple primer. I've seen 8 m/m Mauser with a dark blue bullet tip that was Armor Piercing and 7.65 Argentine with the same exact color that was Tracer. I have some 7 m/m Mauser made by FN that is tracer and it has a purple primer, bullet tip, and a purple band around the bullet at the case neck. It can be pretty confusing. I wonder if green primer might be British A-P? Sometimes I CAREFULLY pull a bullet to see what the base looks like.

·
Banned
6,075 Posts
do you realize this THREAD is over FOUR years old ?
It may depend on the country that ordered it. all 303 FN ball I have has a purple primer. I've seen 8 m/m Mauser with a dark blue bullet tip that was Armor Piercing and 7.65 Argentine with the same exact color that was Tracer. I have some 7 m/m Mauser made by FN that is tracer and it has a purple primer, bullet tip, and a purple band around the bullet at the case neck. It can be pretty confusing. I wonder if green primer might be British A-P? Sometimes I CAREFULLY pull a bullet to see what the base looks like.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts