Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got my first shipment of 8x56r from SOG and I was wondering if anyone here can identify who mfg. them.
Here's a picture of the headstamp. Also, I noticed that the bullet was like silver and I took a magnet to and sure enough, it is steel. Would these be armor piercing?

·
Administrator
11,975 Posts
Bulgarian. ВФ = Военна Фабрика, the State Military Factory in Kazanluk.

·
Silver Bullet Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nick! Is this ammo any good? I have never shot the Steyer before and I just got the ammo.

·
Gold Bullet member
335 Posts
I have shot about 10 rounds of this kind. It all fired fine (test firing rifle). I'm going to probably take the M95 out again this weekend and bring some of the Bulgarian and Nazi stamped ammo.

Cheers

·
Administrator
11,975 Posts
In my experience all Bulgarian 8x56R ammo has been flawless so far.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I got two cans of 40's dated bulgarian 8x56r a while ago. I was very suprised and pleased at its performance the first time out. Shot this target at 100 yards with that stuff. It shot to the sights in my M95 long rifle. As you can see I did the typical 6 oclock hold, aiming just under the target. Then just kinda walked them up the paper to the center. Kinda wish I got more of the stuff.
Ken

·
Registered
221 Posts
glad to here that the bulgarian is good. will try it when i get her to the range. i dont want to shoot up the 38 nazi ammo. i only have 4 stripper clips of 20 rounds. tjm22shot54

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just got my first shipment of 8x56r
Много нтересно....
1938 е годината, когато в ДВФ едновременно се произвеждат и двата боеприпаса - 8Х50R и 8Х56R. Съдейки по капсулното гнездо и капсула, този патрон би трябвало да е 8Х50R. Ако наистина е 8Х56R, вероятно е някакъв междинен образец. Моля за по-подробни снимки на целия патрон. Предварително благодаря....

П.П. Ник, помагай с превода....

·
Silver Bullet Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Много нтересно....
1938 е годината, когато в ДВФ едновременно се произвеждат и двата боеприпаса - 8Х50R и 8Х56R. Съдейки по капсулното гнездо и капсула, този патрон би трябвало да е 8Х50R. Ако наистина е 8Х56R, вероятно е някакъв междинен образец. Моля за по-подробни снимки на целия патрон. Предварително благодаря....

RIGHT!!! I agree with everything you say. ??????????

·
Administrator
11,975 Posts
Много нтересно....

Valo62 is a Bulgarian collector with extensive research on Bulgarian ammo manufacture.

Translation:

"1938 is the year when both 8x50R and 8x56R were manufactured. Judging by the primer pocket and the primer itself, the cartridge [on the picture above] should have been 8x50R. If it is indeed 8x56R, then it must be a transition sample [between 8x50R and 8x56R]. Please, show more pictures of the entire round. Thanks in advance."

So, claudester, would you be so kind as to post a few more shots of the round from different angles and perspectives? TIA,

Nick

·
Administrator
11,975 Posts
You da man! Thanks!

·
Administrator
11,975 Posts
Oh, yes, it is 8x56R for sure. And if it isn't I will give you TWO 8x56R rounds for each 8x50R you have + shipping both ways!

·
Registered
265 Posts
When I got my M95 in 8x50r the guy gave me 20 rounds of surplus. Turns out it was 1935 dated Bulgarian 8x50r. Figured it might be to valuable to shoot so I still havn't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts