Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are from a 1941 M39 (1906 tang date).

As may be obvious, this one is located just below the date on one of the hex lands:

and this one is on the bottom of the receiver:

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
The top one is the Imperial Eagle and Cyrillic PK "Probaya Komissiya (Proof Commission)" marking. The other is just an assembly marking or inspection marking. That marking is actually on the barrel, not the receiver.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks USMCsean! So THAT's what has been ground off in that spot on two out of the four M39's I have...one is blank in that spot, no stamping or grind mark. Learn something new every day!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The blank one may be a Westinghouse. If so it would not have a date on the tang.

regards
badger
Lo and behold, I dismantle it to check and find...that there is no date! Which begs the question, knowing that Westinghouse did not build very many Mosins, relatively speaking, is this a rare example of an M39? Similar to the one that still had the Imperial Crest intact.

I also found shims under the rear tang bolt hole and right behind the recoil lug. I'm guessing at some point, a previous owner tried to smooth out and lighten the trigger pull by raising the entire receiver. Since the rear shim is aluminium, it's safe to say that this was done much later in the gun's history.

Anyway, any thoughts on the possible rarity of this particular gun would be very much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
When it comes to receivers on Finnish rifles, the receiver has little to no bearing on the value of the rifle. The only time it comes into play is on antique receivers, and that is just because you can have it shipped to your door and not have to go through a dealer or your own personal license. It's added value is in the luxury of this fact, not because of manufacture.

Receivers were recycled on most Finnish guns, since they never made receivers. They just used the action as a platform for their many gun designs.Westinghouse and Remington only made one kind of model, the Model 91 rifle, but their receivers are commonly found on Finnish rifles.

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,878 Posts
the "T" in a triangle on the bottom of the barrel shank was used at VKT. looks almost like the tikka logo, but the "T" is upside down.
look at the rear of the receiver, too. sometimes, the later rifles have the "wing" cuts for an m27 bolt, indicating that the rifle is on it's third life.
a New England Westinhouse receivered m39 with wing cuts would have been originally an m91 long rifle, then an m27, then an m39. I have a 1943 tikka m1891 rifle like that, and saw someone else recently post about another rifle that was on it's third life like that, too.

y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Gold Bullet member
2,647 Posts
The easiest way to determine if a receiver was made by NEW is to look for any Latin capital letters with one or more "arrows" protruding from them. If you find that stamped on the receiver, then you can safely assume NEW manufacture. A Remington will have a circled R stamped on it. If those are lacking, then your guess is as good as anyones.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,947 Posts
Shims were generaly used by the Finns and you should be very careful to replace them the way they came out and not lose any of them. The used a brass like shim and also a silver colored shim the type of metal which I have never even bothered to find out about. Just occured to me I have no idea what kind of metal that is? Duh! M39's are generally good shooters and liked by almost anyone who shoots one! Enjoy yourself! Bill

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The easiest way to determine if a receiver was made by NEW is to look for any Latin capital letters with one or more "arrows" protruding from them. If you find that stamped on the receiver, then you can safely assume NEW manufacture. A Remington will have a circled R stamped on it. If those are lacking, then your guess is as good as anyones.
I know about the Latin capital letter with an arrow. The odd thing with THIS receiver is that it has what looks like it could be some sort of capital letter (a backwards E?) with an arrow. I can't find this letter/symbol in any of my reference material so I have no idea what it is. There is also what looks like the Cyrillic letters for "GK" in a circle. Here is a pic of it.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Its a Westinghouse receiver with a Russian acceptance proof next to it-the PK mark.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So that first letter is a "P" not a "G"...ok, now it makes more sense. Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
It's really the same marking that was described in my first reply to you. Just a little different in appearance, but meaning the same thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts