Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a Ross be rebarrelled? I thinking of getting a sporterized Ross with a wonky bore. Please forgive my lack of knowledge, could a SMLE barrel be adapted to fit a 1905 Ross rifle?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Don't forget re-lining.I was skeptical at first,till I saw a 1905 Winchester in some obscure big game caliber that had bad chamber erosion relined to original .30 Krag.Shoots like a dream,can't tell it has a liner,as they wire weld the muzzle ring to hide it.Somtimes cheaper too.

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,861 Posts
Seek proffessional help as I am told at least one model of the Ross had left hand barrel threads. Going the wrong way with a cast iron receiver can lead to a destroyed receiver very quickly.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The MkII Ross had a very unusual coarse single thread that was secured in place with a locking screw - also most of them were 30cal bores not that you would need to replicate that.
Looking at some pictures it does appear to be a left hand thread.

·
Gold Bullet member
703 Posts
Ross rebarreling

The very early Rosses sometimes had .300 bores and how that escaped notice I don't know. Also some receivers were cast rather tha forged but that was also early on. The early Rosses and all through the 1905 series all had 1 1/4 turn threads with the barrel being locked into the receiver with a vertical screw which bore against the shoulder of the barrel thread. There are few gunsmiths who want to tackle the rebarreling of a 1905 Ross owing to the hread configuration, at least that has been my personal experience. The 1910 is a little easier matter as the barrel shank is more " conventional" I have both models of the Ross and consider the 1905 series as superior in operation and smoothness than the 1910. I am in the process of building a sporter Ross from military parts I have but also have four good barrels to use, three of which have been shortened in the distant past. It is rather dismaying finding a Ross all cut up but they are like a lot of other surplus rifles that sure saw their share of " bubbatizing " The CanadianGunNutz.com site has been very helpful to me regarding information, repair work and parts. Good luck, Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts