Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, quick question for you all. I have a few friends who swear up and down that a AK 74 which is chambered for 5.45 can shoot the NATO standard 5.56. Their thought is it may not work that well but in a pinch i.e. zombie apocalypse it would function. Are my friends right? Thanks for everything.

Death Before Dismount

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Do your friends also figure they can shoot .30-06 out of their .308's in a pinch? Same problems.

I don't have an AK74 to try it in, but when I put a 5.45X39 round down right next to a 5,56X45 round, I see BIG, UNRESOLVABLE problems in store for anyone who would try to chamber a 5.56X45 in a 5.45X39 chamber.

First, the 5.56 case is too long and the case neck is too short. The bolt will never close on it.

Second, the 5.56 shoulder is too far forward. Another reason for the bolt to never close.

Third, the bolt face is not cut for the head of a 5,56 case. No way to align it for firing pin strike or for the extractor to grip it. Actually, at least in this regard, using the .30-06 in a .308 makes much more sense than what they are proposing.

Fourth, what magazine are you planning to try to use?

Even if you took a 5.56X45 and tried running it up in a 'modified' 5.45X39 sizing die before you tried chambering it, you are going to have WAY more case neck than chamber relief for it. Again, the bolt will never close.

Tell your friends that they are either on something whacky, or just dreaming.

·
Registered
559 Posts
as to 30-06 and .308 I read an article many years ago in SoF magazine where African guerillas were taking 30-06 and modifying it for use in G3's and FALs by pulling the bullet, empting the powder and resizing the brass by ramming it into the rifle chamber, once they were happy it was sized OK they would add the powder and reseat the bullet.............................not sure if it was just a war story but I suppose it's possible, the rifles had to be operated manually and would function semi auto.

regrds

Richard

·
Silver Bullet member
997 Posts
no, the neck would be too long. no way the '06 can be fired in a 308 chamber unless the case is shortened by 12mm.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I know its possible though not easy to shoot 5.45 in a 5.56 from personal experience. A few rounds of 5.45 got mixed in with a can of 5.56 wolf and loaded into an AK mag. The 5.45 round is shorter in fits in the chamber of the 5.56 though not well. A friend was shooting the AK and kept pulling the bolt back and letting it go then firing. After about 4 attempts the round went off. There was no damage since the bullet diameter is very close in size (.221 vs .224) and the case sealed well enough to avoid dumping gas back into the receiver. On the other hand it was tough to remove the empty and we had to use a cleaning rod. It came out ok and we noticed at once that it was not a normal case. A check showed it to be a 5.45 and we went through our ammo cans and found about 10 more of them mixed in to 1000rds of wolf .223. . .
Moral of the story is check ammo when you're loading mags and don't fill ammo cans when there is more than one type of ammo on the bench. The old wives tale about them being able to use our ammo but we can't use theirs is a load of crap and always has been. Russian 12.7's can't use US ammo and we can't use theirs. Bullet diameters are the same but case lengths and diameters are different. Some things just don't hold water in real life.

Frank

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
50,645 Posts
Give a man a hammer and almost anything can be done :) Actually it can happen but it takes a slamming bolt to get it to chamber

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Your friends are full of it.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
5.45 x 39 is not 5.56 x 45. .....

·
Registered
156 Posts
no, had one box of wolf that I used that had one round of 223...my saiga in 5.45 would not close the bolt enough to let the hammer drop, but the extractor had enough bite to remove it, was stuck on the shoulder. one will load in the mag fine, I like the surplus ammo better, it would be raining fish if I found a 223 round in a spam can for 5.45

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I will work only if the AK is chambered for 5.56.
As mentioned above it is not a good idea. you should only!!! SHOOT THE AMMO THAT MATCHES THE CHAMBERING OF THAT RIFLE!

Bad things will and can happen! They can range from firearm damage to personal injury. It is not game!
Be smart be safe. You would not put regular gas in a diesel car.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,563 Posts
Many Vietnam veterans I've known swore up and down that "their gun could shoot our ammo, but ours couldn't shoot theirs." It's amazing how many people whose jobs were to understand these things had it so fundamentally wrong. I think that's probably the source of your friend's misunderstanding.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Many Vietnam veterans I've known swore up and down that "their gun could shoot our ammo, but ours couldn't shoot theirs." It's amazing how many people whose jobs were to understand these things had it so fundamentally wrong. I think that's probably the source of your friend's misunderstanding.
A lot of that nonsense comes from the US 81mm mortar and the Russian 82mm. Yes, you COULD drop an 81 mm round in a Russian tube and get it to go off (and not vice-versa), but the odds are without a LOT of fooling around, you aren't going to be able to actually hit anything with it (different trajectories, bore fit, etc).

·
Registered
313 Posts
truth is, i have fired a 5.56 nato in an rpk from the magazine. this will teach me to let kids load magazines...anyway, kid hands me magazine to test fire a yugo RPK that i had rebuilt by welding a section of bend it yourself receiver between the riveted receiver stubs. first 3 rounds normal function, fourth round a gentle pop and no cycling. manual extraction reveals a split and swollen 223 case and an empty bore.

did the bullet have more umph than to just barely clear the bore? i doubt it.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,617 Posts
Years ago, when there were alot more of them around, I more than one WWII vet tell me the exact same thing about 8mm vs .30-06. The closest I got to testing that was setting the rounds side by side.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
A few years ago a friend of my took my PSL and accidentally loaded it with 308 and shot it! It worked!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,734 Posts
Well, this picture should illustrate fairly well the issues you would run into trying to chamber a 5.56x45 round in a 5.45x39 chamber

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts