Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few months ago the topic of genocides was brought up. I just thought I'd share some photos from S-21 Prison in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. This is where thousands of innocents were tortured into confessing non-existant crimes, and then taken out and killed.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, that's where they marched the people from S-21. Right past the airfield and a couple of klicks to oblivion.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,373 Posts
One of the few things I will give the North Vietnamese government pretty well unqualified credit for is deciding to end the Khmer Rouge governement (if you can call it "government") of Cambodia - and then putting that determination into effect.

Whatever their motivations (and don't know what they were) were - it was a good deed.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The KR started Year Zero by purging the elite, educated, people with glasses (I kid you not), etc. When they ran out of people to kill, they started feeding on their own. This led to large numbers of KR fleeing to Vietnam. The Vietnamese already had a case of the butt with the Cambodians over land rights, as the movement of people fell right into it. When the Vietnamese Army came in from Tay Ninh Province it was pretty much a rollover. I found a few extra pictures behind one of my deployment books, so I'll post them in the morning.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,535 Posts
One of my coworkers was born in Cambodia in 1972. She won't say a word about her childhood from before 1980, which is when she was adopted into the States, but her back is about 90% scar tissue.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I lived and worked with Cambodian Irregulars from Aug 68-March 70.
Their families lived in camp with us and the neighboring village.

They are beautiful dasrk skinned well proportioned people.

They are fierce and loyal fighters.
They will, on occaision eat the liver of a slain enemy as a tribute to his spirit.

Our folks got along with the local Viets and Montagnards, but would have killed the Viets in a heartbeat if they thought it was appropriate.
They took off into Cambodia after the CIDG program closed down.
They were obsessed with finding and killing Sihanouk.

Pol Pot did like the Chinese with their Red Guard.
He went into remote areas and pressed illiterate youngsters into his forces.
They were conditioned to do his evil deeds.

Ironically, the Viets did, indeed put an end to it.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,684 Posts
One of the few things I will give the North Vietnamese government pretty well unqualified credit for is deciding to end the Khmer Rouge governement (if you can call it "government") of Cambodia - and then putting that determination into effect.

Whatever their motivations (and don't know what they were) were - it was a good deed.
I reckon they didn't want a nut case like Pol Pot living near them. Can't say I blame them.

·
Empress of the Underworld and Diamond Bullet Membe
39,200 Posts
I once worked with a woman who came from Cambodia during that time frame. We were both in the ladies room changing into our work uniforms when I noticed her completely scarred back and a hole in the side of her thigh. I asked her what the hole was from and she told me a bullet. That was all she said and she never spoke of Cambodia. She was truly a nice person and would have been in her 20's in the 1970's.

There have been horrible crimes committed by so many different people all over the world. One that comes to my mind when I read this thread is the rape of Nanking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts