Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all you junior menbers & people who have sporterd before:))) I posted the following qeustion on another board recently whilst waiting for all the old members to arrive at this new meeting place & am hoping that most of the older collectors are now enthroned?

Can anyone guess at HOW the Lee Metford MKI* was opened up to recieve the x10 rd magazine when it was converted to the sMLE Cond MKI configuration? I am assuming if most have/not rc'd the new book by I.Skn...they will have have the older editions, where there is a lot of detail on the work involved, wood wise, bolt and so on....but this vital part is not in there?

·
2,700 Posts
Neil, when was the date of acceptance of the conversion. I have one edition of the List Of Changes, if it isn't in the timeframe mine covers, maybe others here could look it up?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
2 November 1903, according to Skennerton. All I can find is a LoC entry that says something to the effect of the body is modified to accept the wider magazine...not much guidance on how to do it.

I'll have to see if I have one somewhere in the back of my gun closet. :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Page 111 in the L.E.Story Brad....by the time I get the NEW book there will be another newer one out:))) Needs an engineer to think this one out, as by milling the mag well area would make it to thin I believe. I asked elswhere if anyone had this particular model, there were x9 converted according to I.Skn's research, but it is more than likely the only one alive is in the Pattern room, if at all & the chances of viewing are slim to say the least?

Thanks to the both of for taking the time to reply, all I got was some chants from a druid (J.S.) on the other board:)))

·
2,700 Posts
Not much help here, I'm afraid, Neil. The only LoC edition I have is Vol II, 1886 to 1900. Just searched the index of the new book and found the parragraph that says "...the body of the rifle is altered to receive the magazine, rifle, short, M.L.E, Mark I....."

Being so light on for detail, I'd think it wasn't too drastic. Maybe the lower sidewalls of the receiver were thick enough to accomodate more milling out. Other than that you'd be up for a new forging, and then it would be a new receiver.

The only thing I can suggest is look at the action from underneath and sit both the different magazines against it. I don't have either a single stack mag or a rifle that takes one. Keep me informed on how you get on.....

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drastic is the key word ....it was probably to complicated to do more than those 9 as the next were also being done using the MKII body and so on. No I have pondered over the possibility of milling and can't see it would work as the mag has to go all the way in of course.

If nothing else Brad we'll soon be members with all these postings instead of juniors:))) If JRhead75 returns with a Cond MKI from his locker then I'll hang my boo(t)ks up!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Did you figure it out yet?

Just wondering if you figured out how they modified the MLM Mk.I receiver yet?

You have a Mk.I reciever and are thinking about converting it to take the ten round mag, aintcha?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bubbas

& why John would you want to do that? The action has been drilled for a 'scope & as your aware the parts are hard to find to complete as was. I may be able to do a sMLE Cond I with what I have to use it in the collection but need the info on how to widen the well.

However it seems that getting info I need to complete "ziz or zat" is a but harder than finding out which way my long sided sling swivels should sit...LOL or ....rolontflma...off, or whatever that abbreviation is for.... frustration:)))

No Simon, no-one knows the answer on that widening project & I don't want to bubba it further... or the last Q I posed ref MKI sMLE's see "does anyone have"?. As John told me a long time ago if they don't know they won't answer....where's the experts when you need them .....LOL

Cheers Neil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts