Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figure this is worth a shot...

In an attempt to ID my recently posted Civil Guard rifle, I'm looking to see if there's any kind of trend for the markings below, as seen on straight SIG M/24 rifles. Since the rifle in question doesn't have the SIG/CG/S crest on the top of the barrel shank, nor the SIG Neuhausen script on the side of the barrel, these markings, though not the same, are the only true similarity this rifle has with my straight SIG M/24. I haven't seen such markings on stepped SIG M/24s or non-M/24 rifles (including Böhler-Stahl M/24s).

Those of you with straight barrel SIG M/24 rifles, if it's not too much trouble, could you check for markings on the bottom of your barrels, just under the rear sight (see pics)? I'm not talking about the production number/tulip/pacman on the bottom side of the barrel shank, but a small stamp underneath the rear sight base. If you have any stepped SIG M/24 rifles, you can check but they may not have any marks in that location - neither of mine do. This does not apply to Böhler-Stahl barrel M/24s.

Thanks!

Mark on NSD marked straight barrel SIG M/24:

Mark on Unidentified Civil Guard rifle:

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
I think we're on the right track, just at two different train stations. Your gun has all the earmarks of an M24, but perhaps not a SIG barrel.

Wish I had better news. SIG straight barrel KLP, and a little mini-mountain-mural, like your other SIG.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think we're on the right track, just at two different train stations. Your gun has all the earmarks of an M24, but perhaps not a SIG barrel.

Wish I had better news. SIG straight barrel KLP, and a little mini-mountain-mural, like your other SIG.

Thank you for checking into that and posting here! It is much appreciated. :)

Hopefully Mangrove will determine what my rifle really is, but in the meantime I figured it'd be interesting to see what marks we can find under that rear sight. ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
My SIG 91/24 with straight barrel has none of those marks. I went over it with a some very close up reading glasses and found a few marks but not those.

Here is the only mark I found forward of the chamber step. It was under the rear end of the rear sight.
The bottom of the chamber had a number, pack man symbol and a K.
Rest is the norm for these.
Finally my favorite rear sight of any Mosin Nagant (probably not so great in the heat of a battle but great for bench shooting).

Attachments

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My SIG 91/24 with straight barrel has none of those marks. I went over it with a some very close up reading glasses and found a few marks but not those.

Here is the only mark I found forward of the chamber step. It was under the rear end of the rear sight.
The bottom of the chamber had a number, pack man symbol and a K.
Rest is the norm for these.
Finally my favorite rear sight of any Mosin Nagant (probably not so great in the heat of a battle but great for bench shooting).
Thank you for posting!

Honestly I never really thought to look at these marks, so I'm not necessarily looking only for the ones that were originally posted, just want to see what's out there and see if there's any kind of trends behind the markings.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My SIG straight barrel has no marks under the sight area. Other than tool marks from when it had been set back and rechambered.
Nice one Al! Thanks for posting! :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder how many of these are actually in circulation today. I guess not too many.
With only ~3k originally produced, I'm sure that you're right. However I've personally had at least 5 come into my collection since I started collecting a few years ago, so there are definitely more than a few surviving examples out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.