·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But what gives?
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/616675121

I am well aware of the magical gray blanket, like this for example:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/610694468

but does the "AOI" on the stock really multiply the value x10?

I have a very nice matched 70/87/15 that I paid $149 for, thought they were only worth about that. I'm not exactly an Italian weapons aficionado, but this one piques my interest. Should I put a circled AOI on mine? Nah, I don't have the magical gray blanket so mine wouldn't sell for nearly that much

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Hi mpdphil,

Lets start looking for a gray blanket in that shade of gray! Apparently it makes people spend hard cash, like a drunken Sailor! !
I want to sell some firearms & buy a FORD Modle A. at the prices he sells for, I only have to sell a few!

point6

·
Registered
19,240 Posts
Hi mpdphil,

Lets start looking for a gray blanket in that shade of gray! Apparently it makes people spend hard cash, like a drunken Sailor! !
I want to sell some firearms & buy a FORD Modle A. at the prices he sells for, I only have to sell a few!

point6
Just be careful if the Ford is on a grey blanket, might get expensive....
who knew an investment of $5 could pay off so handsomely...

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,539 Posts
I've got one of those - AOI and all. Time to sell!!

Actually - these are quite scarce. You will see roughly 10X as many AOI Steyrs as AOI Vetts, and you don't see those here very often, either. This is only the 2nd 6,5 AOI Vetterli I've ever seen, and I look daily for such things. I bought the other for a fraction of this price. Of course, thousands of Vetterlis in both calibers went to Italian East Africa, but few came from there to America.

Seriously - I have an AOI grouping & if they're bringing prices like this, I should list them. SW

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Why slam the "Grey Blanket" guy? It's not like he put an exorbitant price tag on either of the items in the links at the outset; it's an auction, and it's up to whoever is bidding for an item as to what the ultimate price is. Ralph

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
The Italian Vetterlis are exciting from a firearm development standpoint because they were upgraded twice, from a single-shot black powder, to a magazine black powder, then to a magazine high power. I've been looking for other guns that did that but haven't found any yet.

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,539 Posts
Then we get into the "collecting" discussion. Die hard collectors will spend serious money to fill a slot in the collection. Even more so when scarcity is entered into the equation. The price paid here is small spuds indeed when to compared to what serious collectors will peel out for items like a Colt Paterson, engraved Volcanic or 45 cal Luger which can easily attain prices in the 6 figure category.

Actual collectors know what I'm talking about - those who simply accumulate firearms will probably never understand. SW

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Sriesel is actually a great guy who never does anything fishy at all. I have seen serial number fonts and markings on some of his guns that I don't see anywhere else. Really great source for some wonderful 'one of a kind' items. Awesome source of items if you are a 'real' collector.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Sriesel is actually a great guy who never does anything fishy at all. I have seen serial number fonts and markings on some of his guns that I don't see anywhere else. Really great source for some wonderful 'one of a kind' items. Awesome source of items if you are a 'real' collector.
Oh, I needed that laugh, thanks!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
This is turning into an interesting thread. I agree completely with Steve's post #8 above; it is a succinct, well-articulated comment on the difference between serious (maybe even pathological) collectors and those who like guns for a variety of other reasons - and there is absolutely no disrespect meant to those who buy guns because they like to shoot them or tinker with them rather than collect them for the sake of collection. I myself have bought guns for "collection" that I never intend to shoot, as well as buying guns to shoot but which have zero collector value. I also have to agree with Pascucci 91/41's comments, having had a few dealings with the "Grey Blanket" guy myself. He has gone out of his way to provide additional detail photos I have asked for, and has answered questions honestly when providing descriptions of items I had questions about. I got a navy-marked 7.35mm 91/38 TS carbine at what I thought was an unbelievably decent price (he had not advertised it as navy marked, just as a 7.35 TS). I have to wonder if some of his critics have actually ever done business with him, or if they just look at those items of his that manage to sell at stellar prices and conclude that somehow he is some kind of dishonest dealer and that those who bid high have all been victimized. I'd be interested in hearing specifics of bad transactions with this guy, and whether or not anyone who is being critical on this site has reported him as someone not to do business with. Ralph

·
Registered
715 Posts
While I've seen that Reisel has had some legit stuff, I've also seen plenty of examples of things he tries to pass off as "rare" or "collectible" items that are simply not. As mentioned above, though, I suppose i'm simply one who gathers guns rather than a "collector", glad the definition was brought to light for those of us who don't understand. While I've never gotten deeply vetted in a certain arsenal, year, or whatever weird variation, I'd like to think I "collected" a reasonable variety of firearms of a certain era. Glad to know that I fall into a sub-category of poor losers that just grab junk at random. Never been big on paying way more for the same gun made somewhere else. Different budgets I suppose would make for different habits but my "gatherings" have always been done with frugality in mind.

Bidding too high for something you don't know anything about is entirely another story, and the free market being what it is, if this clown wants to set high reserves on crap that isn't worth it, well, won't get bids. I suppose some people get wet over a certain year/arsenal/what-have-you and it's worth it to them. Only downside to that is other people see this sort of thing and think their junk is worth that too, spoiling all the good deals for us cheapskates. That said, if you pay too much for something, it's your own fault.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
As I said in my previous post, this is turning into an interesting thread. I'll put another two cents worth once again, so please bear with me; you (knucklehead 202) have brought out some valid points. With regard to Reisel advertising some items as "collectible" or "rare", almost any type of vintage firearm can be legitimately advertised as "collectible" - there is almost certainly someone who collects a given type of weapon. As to the "rare" part, I see your point; all I can say is that advertising has a lot of hype attached to it, and he may at times exaggerate somewhat. I am not trying to apologize for the guy, but to put things into some kind of context; he recently advertised a 1918 Erfurt Luger, all matching, including the magazine, which in a sense is a rarity (almost every one I have seen advertised has a mismatched mag) and he did not use the words "rare" or "hard to find" in his writeup; I was seriously tempted, but the bidding went north of what I had in mind, so... Yu also mentioned that some people tend to bid too high for stuff they don't know anything about, and I completely agree; the instance comes to mind of a local, well-known and well-respected (by some) auction house here in Pennsylvania that engages in misleading advertising and manages to sell what I consider plain junk at exorbitant prices to "collectors" (or maybe "investors" who just don't have a clue. Anyway, I think that your point about those kinds of prices being paid sometimes taint the market for those of us who know what the real current market value is (maybe the term "well informed" is more appropriate than "cheapskates"). Anyway, I'm an old guy who remembers the old days when (sit down for this one), I bought Finn Carcanos for $12, folding bayonets for $2, Lugers for $125, like-new Enfield Jungle Carbines for $24, Johnson 1941 for $64 and the bayonet for $1, legit M1 folding stock carbines for $125, FAL G-series for $125 (brand new), and so on. Knucklehead, keep on collecting or acquiring, whichever term fits (both probably do) and have fun doing it. Ralph

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,539 Posts
Knucklehead, ( I wish I could recall your actual name ) here's more on the topic... There is in fact a difference between a die hard collector & someone who buys what seems appealing at the moment. It's not easy for each to understand the other. What I hoped to describe was the thought process involved for someone to pay big money for what seems a common type.

At times it seems to me serious collecting is uncomfortably close to a mental disorder. There's a nagging compulsion to acquire something scarce and money is often no object. It was for me back in the day, and I ate more than my share of PBJ sammiches and ramen noodles after buying some obscure example to fill a slot in the collection.

I don't judge non-collectors - there's just no reason for it. We all buy what appeals to us.

The concept doesn't stop with guns, either! The fellow in the pic may be eating a lot of PBJ sammiches, but by golly, he's driving a Bugatti! Probably lusted for one since he was an adolescent!

There are no "losers" here. The object is to have a little fun when acquiring toys.

For more perspective, next time you're at a gun show, look for a cheep copy of a NRA book on collecting. The whole concept it described in detail with helpful tips... except how to afford the stuff they suggest you collect! ;)

Best regards and hopefully there are no hard feelings! Steve

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
But what gives?

I have a very nice matched 70/87/15 that I paid $149 for, thought they were only worth about that. I'm not exactly an Italian weapons aficionado, but this one piques my interest. Should I put a circled AOI on mine? Nah, I don't have the magical gray blanket so mine wouldn't sell for nearly that much

Thanks all!

Guess I did good - I paid $16.95 (plus shipping) for mine. :laugh:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, it is worth that!

But what gives?

Thanks all!
Contrary to the others messages you received, I will tell you that it is definitely worth what the $1,300 the high bidder paid for it. Remember, it took multiple bidders to the price up that high. If I had seen the auction, I would have bid on it and likely pushed the price higher. The "AOI" marked Vetterlis are scarce as hen's teeth and the collectibility of Italian Vetterlis in general has been going through the roof in the last couple of years. Old time collectors remember paying $10 for a M1870/87/15 Vetterli for years and years and they continue thinking that Italian Vetterlis are still the unwanted step child of collectible military firearms. They couldn't be more wrong! There has been a decently informative book on Italian Vetterlis recently published and that is usually a sign that firearms have will begin a rapid increase in value. Having a reference book to review incites collector passions and, given that Italian Vetterlis were already experiencing a rapid price increase anyway, the sky is the limit.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,178 Posts
I hope that some of those who tend to come down on Mr. Reisel realize that he is not selling his own collection. He sells on consignement and goes by what people tell him is it. I've had a lot of very fair dealings with the two brothers and in the end it is an auction. Critics should note that his usual starting prices are usually between 1 to 2 hundred, so he is not dictating the final price of anything. It's the bidders and if you follow the auction, you would often note that the most out of control bids are frequently made by relatively low feedback holders. People new to the auction game.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Then we get into the "collecting" discussion. Die hard collectors will spend serious money to fill a slot in the collection. Even more so when scarcity is entered into the equation. The price paid here is small spuds indeed when to compared to what serious collectors will peel out for items like a Colt Paterson, engraved Volcanic or 45 cal Luger which can easily attain prices in the 6 figure category.

Actual collectors know what I'm talking about - those who simply accumulate firearms will probably never understand. SW
Only some "real collectors" suffer from this superiority complex mental disorder. Most "real collectors" realize that their temporary ownership of some object does not magically change them to be better or worse than anybody that does not temporarily own such an object.

·
Gold Bullet member
718 Posts
I have also dealt with "sreisel" in the past (Remington Rolling Blocks) and have no cause for complaint - in fact, I'm a happy customer!. As I vaguely recall, he said that he purchases guns at auctions etc.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.