1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CALIFORNIA: Assembly passes ban on carrying unloaded handguns in public
SacBee: Capitol Alert ^ | 6/1/10 | Jim Sanders

Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 9:39:23 PM by SmithL

Legislation to outlaw the carrying of unloaded handguns in public was passed Tuesday by the Assembly.

The measure, Assembly Bill 1934, received the bare-minimum number of votes necessary, passing 41-25, with Republicans opposed.

The bill was crafted in response to a protest movement, "Open Carry," in which activists wield unloaded guns in public places to publicize opposition to gun-control laws as well as difficulties in obtaining concealed-weapons permits.

(Excerpt) Read more at blogs.sacbee.com ...

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It would be nice if California had some gun-owners who had the mettle of Rosa Parks.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I don't feel like walking around carrying an unloaded handgun. CCW permits are only available to residents of certain counties but still valid statewide. The rest have no other choice but hang the big iron on their belts! The existing beauracracy, is test case of the "equal protection clause" of the 14th amendment just waiting to happen. Time for a class action lawsuit!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,104 Posts

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Ah, so you've been there? For how long? You don't have to answer, we all know you haven't.
Does that matter?

I've never been to hell either, but from all accounts, it isn't exactly a place to vacation to.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,104 Posts
So you have no experience there and have listened to whatever form of media you enjoy, to form your opinion? I won't even discuss the sentence structure in your last response.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,613 Posts
We have relatives there (wife's stepfather until he passed away last summer, her stepbrother and his wife currently, East Bay area), and wife was born and grew up in Kali, though she is an ethnic Texian and moved home in the early '70s. We've visited a couple of times since i retired, and while i don't think i want to live there (too expensive, too much of a hassle for a gun-owner), it isn't a "crapppy" state as best i can tell. Has some statutes and (in some areas) social attitudes that are pretty contrary to the ones i am used to, but hardly a crappy state. We have some places in Texas that have social attitudes i don't much care for as far as that goes.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
First I've heard of this bill but if true it is a predictable response the these Open Carry lunatics. The other predictable responses being one of these head cases getting shot by mistake by a police officer responding to a call and an officer being shot while confusing an armed criminal with an open carry advocate. Personally, since California already has too many restrictive firearms laws, I considered the open carry advocate getting shot as the most preferable of the three.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
We have relatives there (wife's stepfather until he passed away last summer, her stepbrother and his wife currently, East Bay area), and wife was born and grew up in Kali, though she is an ethnic Texian and moved home in the early '70s. We've visited a couple of times since i retired, and while i don't think i want to live there (too expensive, too much of a hassle for a gun-owner), it isn't a "crapppy" state as best i can tell. Has some statutes and (in some areas) social attitudes that are pretty contrary to the ones i am used to, but hardly a crappy state. We have some places in Texas that have social attitudes i don't much care for as far as that goes.
The peoples' republik of Austin? Alex Jones lives there and makes jokes about that leftist college town!

Commiefornia is so damned broke, that politicians openly talk about selling marijuana over the counter, and taxing the hell out of it in order to balance the state's budget. The GOP isn't much better than the Donkeys any more. They are offering the voters anti-gun candidates like Meg Whitman and most of you guys are familiar with her eBay policies. Cracking down on the criminals, who use firearms won't happen any more, unless the citizens put an initiative on the ballot and do it themselves.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
So you have no experience there and have listened to whatever form of media you enjoy, to form your opinion? I won't even discuss the sentence structure in your last response.
Yes, I take other people at their word. That's how most people form their opinions. You weren't at the Battle of Cannae in 216 BC, yet you know who won right? By your logic we should reject the stories and histories of others and place experience alone on a pedestal. As if experience is the sole medium to truth.

I've never been to Venus either. I hear it isn't exactly the most hospitable place. Oh BUT WAIT! We use Amtraker's logic (or lack there of) and base our opinions solely by what we experience!

In that case, please blast yourself off into space towards Venus, land there and then report back to us what you find.

If the world operated this way we would still think that the Earth is the center of the universe.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,104 Posts
Yes, I take other people at their word. That's how most people form their opinions.
No, most people base their opinions on a mixture of life experience and what they assimilate through a variety of sources. People who choose not to experience life tend to fall under the influence of parties who know how easy it is to manipulate their emotions.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
No, most people base their opinions on a mixture of life experience and what they assimilate through a variety of sources. People who choose not to experience life tend to fall under the influence of parties who know how easy it is to manipulate their emotions.
Looks like to chose to ignore the rest of my post. Here, I'll post it again, just in case you missed it.

MauserboyM48 said:
You weren't at the Battle of Cannae in 216 BC, yet you know who won right? By your logic we should reject the stories and histories of others and place experience alone on a pedestal. As if experience is the sole medium to truth.

I've never been to Venus either. I hear it isn't exactly the most hospitable place. Oh BUT WAIT! We use Amtraker's logic (or lack there of) and base our opinions solely by what we experience!

In that case, please blast yourself off into space towards Venus, land there and then report back to us what you find.

If the world operated this way we would still think that the Earth is the center of the universe.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,104 Posts
Looks like to chose to ignore the rest of my post. Here, I'll post it again, just in case you missed it.
Once again with the sentence structure. That seems to be the first thing that goes when you get emotional. No, I chose to ignore the rest of your posting because the ability to go back in time and too blast off to far-flung planets (excepting the moon) cannot be accomplished in anything but fantasy and videogames (your realm).

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Once again with the sentence structure. That seems to be the first thing that goes when you get emotional. No, I chose to ignore the rest of your posting because the ability to go back in time and too blast off to far-flung planets (excepting the moon) cannot be accomplished in anything but fantasy and videogames (your realm).
Why don't we just ask people here if they would like to live in California, as it is now? Let's see how many people would say yes.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,104 Posts
Why don't we just ask people here if they would like to live in California, as it is now? Let's see how many people would say yes.
Why don't you stay on topic. You've declared that California is a crappy state, and that's a pretty bold indictment from someone who's never been there. Oh that's right, not experiencing something doesn't matter. Don't worry, we're laughing at you and not with you.

·
Copper Bullet member
722 Posts
I am not from here but I do live here. You would be surprised how many active (politically) people that are here. The problem is the state is run by those in Los Angeles & San Francisco, liberal the rest of the state is pretty much conservative. So give us a friggin' break. We deal with 10 round magazines, 10 day waits on everything we want to buy but still manage to live as normal as possible. I have been here some 11 years it ain't all half bad.
My two cents.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.