Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has already been covered, but I'm slapping this down here anyway:

AB 1471, the microstamping idiocy, is on Arnie's desk now. He has vetoed some bad bills before. We need help from anyone and everyone to register opposition. You can do it easily for the price of a long distance call. You don't have to speak to anyone. It's entirely automated.CALL Gov's Sac number (916-445-2841) Press 1 - for EnglishPress 2 - for Voice your opinion on Assembly Bills Press 1 - for Micro Stamping Bill (AB1471)Press 2 to OPPOSE the gun control bill.AB 1471 is at the top of the heap, so we need to flood the automated system with as much opposition as we can. Tell your friends. Every call out here counts.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
AB1471 is signed into law by Gov. however you spell his name. Implications are unknown, but will likely affect long term gun sales in California, especially semi-auto pistols. Better start thinking about buying your pistols while they are still available - many major manufacturers have hinted they will cease operations for California if this is signed into law - we'll see what they do.

Other states, beware!! Good chance this will spread, but let's hope other states just watch and see how ineffective this will be and then decide not to knee-jerk legislate like California likes to do.

From the Guv.:

http://gov.ca.gov/pdf/press/2007bills/AB 1471 Signing Message.pdf

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
7,951 Posts
AB1471 is signed into law by Gov. however you spell his name. Implications are unknown, but will likely affect long term gun sales in California, especially semi-auto pistols. Better start thinking about buying your pistols while they are still available - many major manufacturers have hinted they will cease operations for California if this is signed into law - we'll see what they do.

Other states, beware!! Good chance this will spread, but let's hope other states just watch and see how ineffective this will be and then decide not to knee-jerk legislate like California likes to do.

From the Guv.:

http://gov.ca.gov/pdf/press/2007bills/AB 1471 Signing Message.pdf
Doesn't Maryland have some even more restrictive nonsense that hasen't solved any crimes? The only "effect" the backers of these bills are looking for is that the leglislation makes life miserable for people like us- and if it does, it's considered to have fulfilled it's intended purpose. Anyone here have any sense of which states might remain gun-safe for the foreseeable future? How about Arizona? Looks like it's trending badly left due to kali transplants and illegals. I've been whining about how I'm gonna leave this state for years but I think this one will finally do it for me. Health issues with family members will likely keep me here for the next 5 years or so, but after that I'm gone.

Oh and BTW Schwarzten-Kennedy also signed into law that bill banning lead hunting ammunition in large parts of California.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
58,556 Posts
Try Kentucky (except the Lexington or Louisville areas. The polcie in those two areas might hassle you.)

·
7,951 Posts
Try Kentucky (except the Lexington or Louisville areas. The polcie in those two areas might hassle you.)

Never been there. No family or friends there. Got some nice mountains and woods not too full of people? How are the property and income taxes? What are the winters like?

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
Of course given the depth of the "microstamping", Criminals weuld NEVER take a bit of emery paper and polish it off, would they?

·
58,556 Posts
Never been there. No family or friends there. Got some nice mountains and woods not too full of people? How are the property and income taxes? What are the winters like?
Eastern Kentucky has hills and woods. The hills are high enough to keep cell phones from working (unless you are on top of the hill). Not too heavily populated since a lot of the people in the 50s, 60s went north for jobs. People tend to mind their own business and expect others to do the same.

Sales tax is 6%, income tax max of 6%. Property taxes better than Ohio. Winters are moderate. There is some snow, but not like up north. Unfortunately, snow removal is not as efficient as up north.

"Major" shopping areas would be Lexington, Knoxville or Wheeling - depending on location. Takes me about 1-1/2 hours to get to Lexington.

It is a rural area. TV is by Dish, etc. Very few hi speed cable lines except in the bigger towns like Pikeville, Hazard, Jackson etc.

·
7,951 Posts
Eastern Kentucky has hills and woods. The hills are high enough to keep cell phones from working (unless you are on top of the hill). Not too heavily populated since a lot of the people in the 50s, 60s went north for jobs. People tend to mind their own business and expect others to do the same.

Sales tax is 6%, income tax max of 6%. Property taxes better than Ohio. Winters are moderate. There is some snow, but not like up north. Unfortunately, snow removal is not as efficient as up north.

"Major" shopping areas would be Lexington, Knoxville or Wheeling - depending on location. Takes me about 1-1/2 hours to get to Lexington.

It is a rural area. TV is by Dish, etc. Very few hi speed cable lines except in the bigger towns like Pikeville, Hazard, Jackson etc.
Thanks; I might have to check it out next year sometime. I'm used to DirecTV and no cell phone reception (and no electricity for a few days at a time). I assume even the most rural spots have a mom & pop shop for the basics (at a slight premium) if one isn't a "major shopper." I'm guessing there's places to shoot that don't cost an arm and a leg.

·
58,556 Posts
Thanks; I might have to check it out next year sometime. I'm used to DirecTV and no cell phone reception (and no electricity for a few days at a time). I assume even the most rural spots have a mom & pop shop for the basics (at a slight premium) if one isn't a "major shopper." I'm guessing there's places to shoot that don't cost an arm and a leg.
As to electricity if the wires go down it can be a couple of days before they are fixed. The local towns have necessities, including fast food. As to shooting, in many places you can do it from the porch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts