Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching for a chart to convert decimal inches to caliber and come across a site selling conversion sleeves and they have an insert for Argentine Mauser that enables it to shoot .22lr

Anyone here use these before?

It's a non permanent conversion, but I know nothing about it, so wanted to ask & see what people think about these sleeves/inserts.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,454 Posts
I have not seen any "conversian sleeves" But I have seen special cartdriges made from solid steel which have a .22 LR chamber, and then a sort amount of rifling for the remaining legnth of the cartridge case. I'm sure they work, but are probably not very accurate at any distance.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not seen any "conversian sleeves" But I have seen special cartdriges made from solid steel which have a .22 LR chamber, and then a sort amount of rifling for the remaining legnth of the cartridge case. I'm sure they work, but are probably not very accurate at any distance.
You're correct, yes, it was a cartridge.

I understand it won't be very accurate, but I'm curious about it.

Considering how small the bullet of a .22LR is, wouldn't it bounce around inside the barrel?

Are there any risks associated with their use, such as damaging the bore?

This guy says he makes custom ones too.. I'm going to ask if he's got anything for a swiss vetterli :)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The subcal conversion cartridges I think you are talking about allow a 22 rimfire to be fired in bigger caliber rifles , but they sell hollow lead bullets that fit the caliber of the rifle. These hollow lead bullets fit on the exposed head of the 22 long rifle round that protrudes from the converter ctg. I recall the manufacturer of these was out of Alaska last I am aware of.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The subcal conversion cartridges I think you are talking about allow a 22 rimfire to be fired in bigger caliber rifles , but they sell hollow lead bullets that fit the caliber of the rifle. These hollow lead bullets fit on the exposed head of the 22 long rifle round that protrudes from the converter ctg. I recall the manufacturer of these was out of Alaska last I am aware of.
Yep, they're in Alaska.

http://www.mcace.com/rifleinserts.html

Any idea on where I find these hollow bullets?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.