Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, looking for a little current advice on C&R rifle shipping. At one time I was an active collector and C&R holder but have spent about a decade "out of the loop." The time has come to part with some of my old collection, for which I am going to use the Trader. In light of all the state-level firearms policy changes of the last few years, I am wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of (as a non-licensee seller)? Specifically, are there any state laws that restrict or prohibit C&R licensed residents from receiving shipment of C&R rifles? Are there any issues at all with shipping C&R rifles into California? I realize that following state laws is the responsibility of the buyer/recipient but I would like to stay ahead of any possible issues.

Also, a separate but related question, some of the rifles in question are semi-automatic, such as a FN49 and Yugoslav 59/66. I assume these are prohibited in California, but are there any other states that prohibit such things?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Can't speak to CA specifics, but since you are a non FFL holder, just specify maybe in your ad that you do not have an FFL. A C&R holder can accept shipment from a non FFL holder as I understand it (Just got my C&R for the second time after a three year break). But if you are shipping to a dealer FFL because the recipient does not have a FFL, make sure the dealer knows and will accept shipment from a non FFL holder. They may request you send a copy of your DL/ID with shipment for their books/records.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Non FFLs are not supposed to ship via USPS I believe. You are supposed to disclose that a firearm is in the box at UPS or FedEx, but they are NOT supposed to ID it on the box anywhere. They ask for a copy of the FFL or FFL03 when you ship. You show it to them but keep it. I have sold several C&Rs to CA with no problems lately.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
non ffls can use USPS to ship long guns.. not handguns. FFL to FFL 2day for handgun is fine.

From what i understand - now in CA everything has to go through a 01 FFL; even if the buyer has an 03.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, I am familiar with all the federal regulations regarding shipment of firearms as well as carrier requirements, etc. I have no questions about any of that.

I am only asking about any state laws that might impact my shipment of C&R rifles to otherwise qualified licensees.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Trying to figure all of the various local and State rules and regulations will drive you nuts.

Get a signed statement from the buyer saying that he can legally receive the firearm. And a copy of his DL. That is about all you can do to protect yourself. Shipping only to a FFL dealer should make it airtight.

JMHO

Ray

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Trying to figure all of the various local and State rules and regulations will drive you nuts.

Get a signed statement from the buyer saying that he can legally receive the firearm. And a copy of his DL. That is about all you can do to protect yourself. Shipping only to a FFL dealer should make it airtight.

JMHO

Ray
Great advice there. lots of dealers won't ship to CA because things can be interpreted different ways, and I feel bad for the remaining sane people there. But --- CA has no jurisdiction over you in Idaho. It is up to the recipient to know his local laws.

·
Silver Bullet Member
195 Posts
Regarding the C&R license, PA recognizes it and a non-licensee can ship directly to a C&R licensee. New jersey DOES NOT recognize the C&R license and most dealers in NJ will not accept shipment until they have a copy of an 01 FFL sending the firearm, so no shipment from a non-licensee.
This is a start for you, now for the other 48.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
I get shipments of C&R long guns in California all the time with my C&R from both FFLs and non-licensed individuals.

Semi-auto C&Rs are fine into CA as long as they have only a ten round mag if the mag is detachable. Tube mag guns like C&R .22 and C&R Winchesters are fine. A CA resident could, for example, buy an SVT-40 as a C&R.

Handguns have to come into CA FFL to FFL and either have to be C&R or on the "safe handgun" CA list, which rules out most modern handguns but not C&Rs. All handguns have to go through the whole waiting period and background check, even C&Rs, excepting black powder muzzle loaders.

I much prefer UPS to receive my long guns as they notify me and let me pick them up at their center instead of having to wait around at home onve you register for their online "delivery choice" feature.

Some FFLs don't want to ship to CA because they have to go through an online "license check" on modern weapons to see if the CA FFL is really licensed in CA, but this isn't needed for C&R long guns.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,912 Posts
Just to add:
The FN-49 is ok in California for the reasons stated above.
The TRUE Yugoslav M59/66 is not legal in CA due to the wording of the penal code governing Destructive Devices: "Any bomb, grenade, explosive missile or similar device used to launch explosive projectiles."

However, the Century Arms modified (read: butchered) version with the ventilated tube in place of grenade launcher, a.k.a. the 'California legal' version, is ok ONLY under a 01 FFL.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
+1.

Oddly enough, a modern Saiga Kalashnikov is Kalifornia legal as long as it has a "non-evil" sporting buttstock and no bayonet lug. You can even use your preban hi-capacity mags legally, as long as you owned them prior to CA banning new purchases.

Of course, we have "bullet button" requirements for using modern rifles in their "evil" configuration, so my AR platform has to use only 10 round mags and I have to push a little button with a tool to eject the mags. I can, of course, own all the older 30 round AR mags (as well as glock, S&W and any other hi-cap mags I want, as long as I had them prior to the ban, but I'm a bad guy if I ever dared put one in my bullet button AR.

You can even import a PSL or many other modern rifles, as long as you take off the thumbhole or "evil" pistol grip stock before import.

Go figure!

Just to add:
The FN-49 is ok in California for the reasons stated above.
The TRUE Yugoslav M59/66 is not legal in CA due to the wording of the penal code governing Destructive Devices: "Any bomb, grenade, explosive missile or similar device used to launch explosive projectiles."

However, the Century Arms modified (read: butchered) version with the ventilated tube in place of grenade launcher, a.k.a. the 'California legal' version, is ok ONLY under a 01 FFL.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,569 Posts
If you grandfathered back in 93 and have registered letter from ATF no need of bullet button, Only ban is 30 rd high capacity, and of course CA AR post manufacture lower come with the bullet button silly it is!
Say for example I sell my pre ban 93 colt AR. I have to replace it with bullet Button in order to sell inside of Kali. Outside no problem

·
Registered
147 Posts
As of now, California C&R FFL holders can (just like everyone else) order a firearm online, but even though they are a C&R FFL holder, they can't have it sent right to them - due to quirks in California law, it has to go to an 01 FFL for them to pick up.

That began 01-01-2015. Per 'Quiet' and 'kemasa' from Calguns forum, as of that date, C&R FFLs could no longer have C&R long guns shipped directly to them and must have all C&R firearms shipped to a CA FFL dealer, who would then transfer the C&R firearm to them.

If you wonder why anyone would want the C&R FFL in California, you'd be right, for most people it is too much trouble / not worth it.

(As a result this drives more traffic to 01 FFL --- though the 03 FFL (curio and relic FFL) with Certificate of Eligibility can still receive ammo direct to their front door which unlicensed Californians currently can't do; that issue is being contested in the courts.)

Also, as examples of some exempt persons on the ammunition issue, licensed ammunition vendors; people on the California Department of Justice’s exempted FFL list; and federally licensed gunsmiths, who also get their Certificate of Eligibility, can get ammo sent to their front door in California, amongst some other exempt persons.

The only exemption for firearms for the C&R FFL (who resides in California) is when the C&R FFL physically obtains the C&R firearm while outside of California, and then brings it back to CA.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts