Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question. As I build my C&R collection, primarily with Russian WWII items, I may want to ocassionally sell trade a C&R rifle. I do not have a C&R FFL, or any FFL for that matter. If I legally purchased a rifle, how can I sell it / trade it? Does it have to be with / through someone with an FFL, or can I sell direct to someone I know is not a felon. Is there such a thing as a "qualified relationship" such as a family member that is exempt?

If the answer is no, can someone with a C&R FFL legally sell, or can they only buy?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Here in Tenn.It would'nt be a prob. to sell. We do it all the time at gunshows. You state laws may be diffrent. Cool avatar

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Check your local laws. But I think that as a non licensed person you can buy, trade and sell as you wish. People with a C&R can buy and sell they just can't be in the business of selling firearms. If you want to sell to someone out of state it needs to go to a licensed person.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a quick question. As I build my C&R collection, primarily with Russian WWII items, I may want to ocassionally sell trade a C&R rifle. I do not have a C&R FFL, or any FFL for that matter. If I legally purchased a rifle, how can I sell it / trade it? Does it have to be with / through someone with an FFL, or can I sell direct to someone I know is not a felon. Is there such a thing as a "qualified relationship" such as a family member that is exempt?

If the answer is no, can someone with a C&R FFL legally sell, or can they only buy?

Thanks in advance.
As long as your state and local gun laws allow you to, you can sell directly to a fellow state resident who is not a prohibited person (under age, felon, wife beater, druggie/alcoholic, etc.) without all the paperwork. California, Massachusetts, and several other states have more stringent rules that may prohibit firearms transfers without an FFL involved.

In general, out-of-state transfers always require an FFL on the receiving end and sometimes even on the shipping end. Check with your state attorney general's office and they can give you exact rules/regs on gun transfers.

As for C&R, you can buy and sell occasionally to "better your collection", but you are NOT allowed to transfer lots of guns in and out, willy-nilly, and especially are not allowed to rack up huge profits in the process. That's usually considered "being in the business of gun dealing" and requires an 01FFL to be legal.

All said, I would think a "one in, one out" transfer history would not raise many BATFE eyebrows.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
70,091 Posts
Under federal law you would be able to sell it to a resident of the state of Michigan when both of you are in Michigan.

You can sell it to an 01 FFL (dealer). You could sell a C&R weapon to either an 01 FFL or a C&R FFL.

You can sell if you have a C&R license providing that you are not in business to sell. For example, you want to upgrade a weapon. You could sell the one that is being replaced.

State law would have an effect. I do not what the Michigan law is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts