Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal and o.k. to have a C & R long gun (bolt-action rifle) shipped here from Canada with no import permit, just a C & R license?

I didn't think it was permissible (and still don't,) but have to admit I'm ignorant on how these things work, and wanted to ask our resident sages. How does one go about buying a bolt rifle from a seller in Canada?

Thanks for the info...

Scott

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
No its not legal to do this without an importer. Regardless of owning a CR period. I also think that the rifle in question needs to have been in Canada for a proven number of years before it is considered importable.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
I know guys toyed with the idea of importing SVT 40s from Canada that have arrived in recent years.They were a LOT cheaper there. First, like I said, the rifles had to be in Canada for a period of years. I want to say 5 for some reason. Secondly, they still have to be allowed for import off the approved list.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Sean, I think 5 years is correct something to do with a Russian arms import ban or something of that nature. Countries exporting Russian arms must be able to show documentation of the firearm being in their country 5 years prior to it being exported.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Sean, I think 5 years is correct something to do with a Russian arms import ban or something of that nature. Countries exporting Russian arms must be able to show documentation of the firearm being in their country 5 years prior to it being exported.
Documentation or the seller has to sign a statement saying it was there for that period.

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
There is no transport internationally for firearms by common carrier as well. Only can be done on a cross border hand off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts