·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
harrison987
Gunboards Premium Member

136 Posts
Posted - 05/06/2005 : 2:34:36 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Due to some financial issues last year, I had to sell my all-matching bcd4 :(

I am getting back into the collecting part again, and just purchased a sling marked, "bla 44", and the rare purple ink stamp, "kar" on the inside of the sling.

I actually managed to get it for $50.00, and it is definitly original.

I only purchased the sling to make a profit and gain some money for another rifle. I saw this type of sling go for $200US on ebay a few month ago. There is no major cracking, but there is the normal "wear" on the sling where it was folded on the rifle. For re-selling purposes, is it better to leave the sling as is, or add some sort of leather product to soften these areas up? If so, what should is best to use so that the ink stamp doesn't fade?

Thanks!

Mike

Bob in OHIO
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

1119 Posts
Posted - 05/06/2005 : 4:09:25 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...leave it alone.

My CD full of K98 pics... http://bobinohio.com/

[email protected]

madboy357
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
889 Posts
Posted - 05/06/2005 : 4:29:34 PM

I agree, do nothing to any original sling or leather gear. You'll never add value by adding chemicals to it, and you'll likely subtract value.

Wasn't that 200USD ebay sling a fake? Looked it to me....

petersmoke
Gunboards Premium Member

Netherlands
229 Posts
Posted - 05/07/2005 : 5:01:37 PM

Yes it`s a fake sling from Europe.

you`re right Madboy :)

best regards Tom

harrison987
Gunboards Premium Member

136 Posts
Posted - 05/07/2005 : 5:18:51 PM

Well...

Here are the pics. Sling is definitly WW2 German. I have yet to see the markings, but I guess we'll see once I get it from Germany.

Download Attachment:
45.38 KB

Download Attachment:
36.14 KB

petersmoke
Gunboards Premium Member

Netherlands
229 Posts
Posted - 05/07/2005 : 5:31:46 PM

sorry friend

it`s repro! Check also my fakes and frauds post.

Those come from Germany/luxemburg,,I must admit..they look good enough for a beginning collector.

return it when you have it!

Best regards Tom

Vulch
Moderator English Gun Pub

Australia
6297 Posts
Posted - 05/07/2005 : 5:40:24 PM

They aren't repro per se, but conversions of the Austrian FN sling.

Interesting they are ink stamping them now. The double stamped dates etc they used to use must have gone out of fashion with these "creators". They usually stamped them deep enough to almost go through the other side!

I accidentally bought one from Mario in Holland. Boy was it a GOOD attempt too, but Hambone and I nutted it out. At least 1 of them WAS genuine, and as luck would have it, that was the one I kept! (sorry Ham!) I paid WAY too much, at $150 each! One was worth that easily, the other was worth $20...

Edited by - Vulch on 05/07/2005 5:41:34 PM

petersmoke
Gunboards Premium Member

Netherlands
229 Posts
Posted - 05/08/2005 : 09:12:48 AM

It`s also possible that it`s just postwar used..I agree!! so you know for sure that they are from a FN rifle?

I also recogniced the keepers are postwar..! and had many points I don`t liked. So it whas postwar anyway in my eyes

BTW Vulch...sent me an PM, because I can`t imagine that you bought a postwar sling from Mario. please explain.

regards Tom

1 - 1 of 1 Posts