Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
.............NOTE: all photo's at the bottom ofthe thread in order..........................

Brett257
Gunboards Member

43 Posts
Posted - 05/28/2005 : 11:07:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of you responed to my last post about some 98ks I was considering buying. You noted what you believed to be stock refinishing. Can you all provide a list of tell-tale signs that a stock has been refinished. Since I'm still learning about the art of gun collecting I just wanted to make sure I get all my ducks in a row.

Thanks,
Brett

Brett257
Gunboards Member

43 Posts
Posted - 05/29/2005 : 09:23:26 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the great reply!!! I appreciate the info and will look at all the rifles I consider buying in the future using your guidelines.

Brett

mrfarb
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

1388 Posts
Posted - 05/29/2005 : 10:12:25 AM

Very informative and well laid out post Bob! You are the man!

Check out my website- www.latewar.com

graf

USA
1294 Posts
Posted - 05/29/2005 : 2:00:35 PM

I agree, first rate & will absolutely save a collector some $$ if followed!
- hell, it should be a handout at every gun show for that matter; and along with Farb’s fake detection on his website should be made a pinned thread… you newer collectors are lucky to get BiO & Farbs short takes as it took me hundreds of dollars & many a disappointment to get to where they just outlined for free, heed the information & you’ll avoid more than half the learning curve.

quote:
Originally posted by mrfarb

Very informative and well laid out post Bob! You are the man!

Editor Military Rifle Journal - Eventual website:
http://militaryriflejournal.com/

http://gewehr98.com/

Spitzenmeister
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
572 Posts
Posted - 05/29/2005 : 10:54:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bob in OHIO

THESE have BEEN MESSED WITH

Bob:

I got a Bubberized stock that’s a carbon copy of one of yours. I bought this one out of a dude’s garage in Salem, OR back around 1995. It’s now on my ce44 shooter, looks killer and people rave about it, but God it’s been Über messed with. I think someone took a power sander to it:

Download Attachment:
30.64 KB

"Nations do not mistrust each other because they are armed, they are armed because they mistrust each other." - Ronald Reagan

Bill In Indiana

1661 Posts
Posted - 05/31/2005 : 12:06:14 AM

Bret....I want to highlight one of Bob's pics a bit. Look close at the one of the bolt cut-out. Notice the sharp corners around the cut out. Many many people will inadvertantly round these edges off when re-doing a stock. It is also a hard place for people to sand inside of, so that is one of the places I look at first to determine if a stock has been played with.

Its a little like detective work. Forget the story, and look at what the evidence tells you. I like also to include the sense of smell! If the story goes that the gun was recently found in an attic, then it should smell like an attic, not like boiled linseed oil. Hoppes and oil all have a smell, but so do years of dormancy in a closet, or basement in storage. Smell is also usefull in that some cold bluing touch up products have a peculiar smell to them. They might fool you with the color, but smell will many times give recent touch up work away.

Lastly spend time on this board and read the old posts and watch the discussions. Picking up on what is right, and what is suspect takes a lot of time, and experience looking over known good examples. Reading posts here will help you pick up some of that experience a lot quicker.

Brett257
Gunboards Member

43 Posts
Posted - 05/31/2005 : 11:19:03 PM

I would say its refinished for three reasons. In the bottom picture there is to much glare coming off of the stock near the top of the picture (one). The numbers also seem very shallow for a 41 gun when they were still being heavily marked and finished (two). In the third picture right below the gun model the stock seems to rounded (three).

How'd I do?

Brett

hobbit
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
188 Posts
Posted - 06/03/2005 : 07:06:42 AM

To Bob In Ohio
Thank you Bob for your lesson plan! It made alot of sense looking at your examples for people like me. I have so much to learn. I wonder sometimes if I'll ever get the basic right. Few weapons get me as excited as the K-98's series. Thanks again and give more lesson plans if you feel in the mood.

Dr. Johnny Fever

USA
2065 Posts
Posted - 07/23/2005 : 4:43:56 PM

I have to second what Hobbit said. Bob is a world-class teacher, and we're all very fortunate to have him here.

generaladolfgalland
Gunboards Member

91 Posts
Posted - 07/25/2005 : 12:56:16 PM

Looks as if the stock has been stripped of oils and refinished with BLO and tung oil

VigCS
Gunboards Member

50 Posts
Posted - 01/12/2006 : 3:30:03 PM

So do you guys think my K98 has the original finish? I do.

savage99t
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 01/12/2006 : 3:52:18 PM

If your serious the answer is no. Your rifle does not have it's original finish. Wrist bolts were not used by the Germans either on laminated stocks.

VigCS
Gunboards Member

50 Posts
Posted - 01/12/2006 : 4:18:48 PM

What do you mean 'wristbolts'..I'm pretty new to collecting. The rifle is a 1938 FN (Belgian) made k98.

Edited by - VigCS on 01/12/2006 4:32:27 PM

boltactionsforever

USA
1719 Posts
Posted - 01/12/2006 : 5:13:28 PM

Boy that's digging up a old post...

But anyhow....

Your gun appears to be a M48 (you can see the Yugo reciever stamp in pic #1)--of some kind would be my guess...

It definately has a m48 handguard...

Bolt handle "bend" looks funny also for a Yugo capture...

Looks like a post war Yugo repaired stock...
but better photo's would help...

definately not a original German "version" K98...

FYI

BAF

"the only way to fix that poor gun my lad"....

"Is to find the time machine that is set to one day before Vic' got his hands on it"

Bill In Indiana

1661 Posts
Posted - 01/12/2006 : 10:45:28 PM

VigCS...the wristbolt is the cross bolt just behind the bolt handle. A Cross bolt in the stock in this area is a sure sign of a post war rebuild, or at least a stock from a post war rebuild.

VigCS
Gunboards Member

50 Posts
Posted - 01/13/2006 : 12:16:58 AM

Okay, here are more pics...

Boltaction - What do you mean its an M48? I thought it's a K98 that was just rebuilt (by yugos, according to you). Where is the stamp?

This kinda sucks...I don't want a Yugo rebuilt mauser..I want a german or belgian one. Oh well! I guess I'll have to go buy a 100% genuine one.

Edited by - VigCS on 01/13/2006 12:23:10 AM

Matt Norman
Gunboards Super Premium Member

USA
275 Posts
Posted - 01/14/2006 : 6:34:03 PM

Hhmmmm....the bolt doesn't look right (to my NOVICE eye),nor the handguard, and the wrist/bolt is a later addition. But the FN on the front receiver is real-deal. The photos on the kitchen counter aren't detailed enough.

How are the numbers (bolt numbers in particular)? Again, I'm just a novice and learn something new about these things every day. But could this be an put-together of different barreled action/stock?

hillbillywizard
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
161 Posts
Posted - 01/18/2006 : 11:01:47 PM

Here goes.. there is something about that wristbolt that does not look right at all. The handguard definitely looks more at home on a m-48 (what is the deal with the wood screw on the rear site?). The furniture, in general, to me is suspect. Good call Matt.
The finish on the bolt looks consistant with the receiver. The bolt is not Yugo, and it does not appear to be German... which is good.

Send lawyers guns and money, the s$it has hit the fan

1 - 1 of 1 Posts