Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Author Topic
saintarctangent
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

1065 Posts
Posted - 03/05/2005 : 9:59:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saw this listed on Barnes and Noble. Was wondering if its worth the $$.

SEE PICTURE OF ITEM AT BOTTOM OF POSTING

HondoBlue
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
122 Posts
Posted - 03/06/2005 : 08:43:31 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saint,

I've found Ball's book to be a great general reference on military mausers, especially since you have picked the 3rd edition. The color photos are nicely done and the data are an interesting read.

Dave

qvekid
Gunboards Super Premium Member

USA
492 Posts
Posted - 03/07/2005 : 4:52:10 PM

one of mt favorite books lots of good general information on all the different miltary mausers of the world,hours of great reading

Scott B

USA
312 Posts
Posted - 03/09/2005 : 10:51:17 AM

A good general reference. Just recognize the author relies on the "expertise" for K98k topics of the primary party responsible for the 'BBOTW' mis-/dis-information disaster.

Scott B

xk319

359 Posts
Posted - 03/09/2005 : 5:13:12 PM

Is bbotw really a mis-information disaster? I don't think I would call it that. I would call it the most information laden book out there on the k98, but one that does have errors here and there.

tsellati
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1964 Posts
Posted - 03/09/2005 : 9:09:51 PM

This concern over the accuracy of BBOTW is interesting to me since I am trying to decide whether I should purchase this two-volume reference. I have not seen volume one but have looked over volume two. I also have looked through Peter Senich's "The German Sniper: 1914-1945" and thought it was perhaps a better resource on K98k sniper rifles. Do others agree with this assessment and, if so, would you suggest getting Senich's book as a sniper rifle reference and Law's first volume of BBOTW as a general K98k reference?

Tim

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf".

--George Orwell--

GaCop
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
644 Posts
Posted - 03/12/2005 : 06:46:13 AM

I recently received a copy of Ball's book and found it enlightening re: code stamps and general configuration of arsenal types. As ignorant as I am in reference to the 98k, I've noticed mistakes in his book.

Tom

Scott B

USA
312 Posts
Posted - 03/13/2005 : 08:17:13 AM

xk319,

One collection source used, one expert, lots of fake rifles used as examples of "the genuine article", errors in almost every datasheet, the list goes on. It is as dangerous as it is helpful, especially to the new collector. It is great when translating original documents but a nightmare when discussing and interpreting individual specimens and patterns. 'BBOTW' is the best thing out there as it is the only thing out there. 'BBOTW Sniper Variations' has the same problems. However, it depicts even more fake specimens than 'BBOTW'. Senich is far superior on the sniper subject. Any reference or individual which then uses the 'BBOTW' series as a source for all but translated documents should immediately be viewed as suspect. The author was advised of these errors before publication of the 1st and Rev. edition but made a conscious decision to not offend the "expert". So xk319 you tell me......is the 'BBOTW' series really a disaster?

Scott B

billt
Gunboards Member

USA
55 Posts
Posted - 03/13/2005 : 10:52:22 AM

I just recieved a copy frm Midway and feel it's a great book to have if your "into" Mausers. I'm a newbie into the Mauser game, and I've found it to be very helpful. billt

1 - 1 of 1 Posts