Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a copy/paste from the old boards....BAF

Hello all,
This is my first official post to these forums. I am looking to start collecting K98's, and could use some help. I collected enfileds a number of years ago and am fairly knowledgeable on them, however, I know little of K98's.

What are the best reference works for collectors? Can anyone point me to a quality seller? I am looking to get my first K98 and I want the best available. Any help in these areas is appreciated.
Thanks

GaCop
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
644 Posts
Posted - 03/12/2005 : 3:00:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Amazon.com for "Backbone of the Wehrmacht" and Ball's "Mauser Military Rifles of the World". Those two will serve you pretty well getting started.

Tom

HondoBlue
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
122 Posts
Posted - 03/12/2005 : 3:01:50 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best reference to begin with is "Backone of the Wehrmacht" by Richard D. Law. Excellent photo work and narratives are interesting. Some stats are incomplete; some errors but by-far-and-away the best place to start.
A sponsor of this board, Dennis Kroh at Empire Arms has great Russian Capture K98's which are accurately described on his web page. You can't go wrong there.

Dave

Spitzenmeister

USA
572 Posts
Posted - 03/12/2005 : 8:34:05 PM

Mauser Military Rifles of the World, by Robert Ball. Very readable book.

"Nations do not mistrust each other because they are armed, they are armed because they mistrust each other." - Ronald Reagan

Geologist
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
102 Posts
Posted - 03/13/2005 : 11:05:44 AM

After your research and you learn the ins and outs of all the makers and dates, check out Empirearms.com, Coles Distributing and FAC. They list makers, dates and other attributes of the many varities for the currently imported Russian captures. SOG, J&G Sales and Interodnance have lot pick for a reduced price for the RC rifles.

Otherwise, for non-Russian captures, it up to gun shows and individual dealers for the K98s. Good luck and have fun.

Geogunner

KarCollector
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
153 Posts
Posted - 03/16/2005 : 7:18:38 PM

I have to book Mauser Military Rifles of the World. VERY GOOD BOOK AND WILL GIVE U A LOT OF INFO ON MAUSERS!
U should really get it

196FMJ
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
171 Posts
Posted - 03/16/2005 : 7:52:52 PM

I'd suggest checking out the Mauser images and descriptions at
"http://collectiblefirearms.com/"

Excellent examples of both how to photograph a Mauser for web display and also how a professional Mauser description should read.

Also a great research site for identifying the rarer Mausers such as the NSDAP-proofed KKW .22LR K98 training rifles.

my dos centavos
196FMJ

Spitzenmeister

USA
572 Posts
Posted - 03/16/2005 : 9:17:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Geologist

Otherwise, for non-Russian captures, it up to gun shows and individual dealers for the K98s. Good luck and have fun.

Local pawn shops and newspaper ads are potentially great sources too. Surprisingly, it never hurts to check Luger, P38 and G/K43 websites also. For instance, I once got a lead on a Mauser when a poster mentioned as a mere side note that he’d a K98 rifle “thrown in” with his P.08 purchase as a bonus. I sent a private message, and eventually bought this Kar from him. It turned out to be a very nice 42 code that I got at an incredible price.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Thanks BAF

1 - 2 of 2 Posts