Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For reading only from the old boards...........

billt
Gunboards Member

USA
55 Posts
Posted - 03/13/2005 : 10:57:44 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm new here, and to the "Mauser game". Just thought I'd post some pics of a couple of new Mausers that I got from Mitchell's a couple of weeks ago. I was really pleased with the guns overall. billt

swissmauser
Gunboards Member

USA
26 Posts
Posted - 03/13/2005 : 11:01:23 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They do sell some nice specimens, well cleaned up. Hope you enjoy them.

billt
Gunboards Member

USA
55 Posts
Posted - 03/13/2005 : 11:02:38 AM

Here are some pics of the accessories that came with the rifles. The Blued Bayonet came with the "Premium Grade" Rifle, the White Bayonet came with the "Collector Grade" rifle. All are in really nice shape. billt

Geologist
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
102 Posts
Posted - 03/14/2005 : 1:10:48 PM

I assume these rifles to be Yugo M48's. While Mitchells may give you nice specimens (as these are).IMHO, thier prices are way out of line. I dont mean to diss Mitchells, but you can buy the same quality with the same accessories for the many distributors that carry these for a much better price.

Geogunner

sgt rock
Gunboards Premium Member

151 Posts
Posted - 03/14/2005 : 7:49:53 PM

who else has unissued M48 mausers ??

billt
Gunboards Member

USA
55 Posts
Posted - 03/15/2005 : 10:27:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by sgt rock

who else has unissued M48 mausers ??

Thats my question also. Yes, I've seen other unissued Mausers at gun shows, in Shotgun News ads, and the like. The ones I've come across weren't that much cheaper, and a lot of them were missing parts, (cleaning rods, front sight hoods, etc.), and several didn't have all matching numbers. A lot of them had, I felt, excessive handling marks. Your going to pay a little more for a Mauser from Mitchell's, but you get a 100% money back guarantee if, for any reason, your unsatisified. Considering I plan on keeping these rifles for the rest of my life, the extra expendature was well worth it in my opinion. billt

boltactionsforever
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1719 Posts
Posted - 03/15/2005 : 11:06:03 AM

I guess I'll step up to the plate for this one guy's....

Most collectors dont view Mitchell's mausers as a true collectors piece---more of a very nice example of a post war rebuilt gun made more for common public consumption and shooting pleasure---not a true historic collectable gun...Kinda' floating in that middle-ground between true military collectable and the commonly available sporting guns (ie:Remchesters)..

You can call them what you want--unissued---but most of us call them rebuilt post war mausers that probably never ever seen any battle other then time. Mitchell's has very deceptive advertising about most every gun they have been invloved with---even look closely at your mitchell's box---see a lot of "German" influance???---Well the German war machine was long gone when these rifles where built the first time (ie; 1948)......But Mitchell's has zero problem telling you all about these German Mausers....There NOT German mausers--there Yugoslavia built mausers....ie; m48-m48a medium length action mausers---not true German K98 large ring long action mausers like they would like you to believe.

Many of the m48 stock from Mitchell's have been made in the last 5-6 years oversea's from Teak to make the guns look spectacular in appearance(someone did a wonderful write-up on this on the old boards--and had the wood tested--most of them are some form of Eastern Teak within the last 5-6 years!), but as far as collectability---it's just not there for most collectors----and this is the reason why you have not seen a lot of responses to you post---most people avoid Mitchell's like the plague....They advertise having guns with "SS" and death head markings from every manufacture---calling them originals---VERY DECEPTIVE and a flat out lie!...And asking $10,000 for one----WOW...pretty darn expensive Russian capture rebuilt/restamped with the "SS" or "Death head" stampings!

I do agree they "make" a pretty cool looking packaging, but there are other vendors out there that do have very good looking guns for less money then buying them directly from Mitchell's Mausers---I recall the local Dunhams having m48's "from Mitchell's" for $169.00 and some people even got them cheaper with manager specials....I also found more then one m48 at gun shows that where of unissued "looking" with original stocks---and priced $110.00-$150.00 +/-

So to answer the question---does anyone have rebuilt/restocked m48 mausers as nice as Mitchell's???--Probably not, but most importers do not take the time to rebuild the weapons onto new stocks to highten the appearance for resale.....And the final question---will the rebuilt/restocked mitchell's mausers ever become highly collectable???--In my estimation, there price will never see a great increase in retail value because there history of being rebuilt for resale with new stocks for public consumption.

I am glade you like your rifle and I hope I did'nt offend you---but I am just trying to put the Mitchell's guns in prespective----
I would not own one of there post war rebuilt----inflated asking price---marketing deceptive practices guns period....

I would MUCH rather have a Russian capture rifle that has some definate German/Russian history behind it...even "If" they are rebuilt--atleast they have TRUE WWII history----but that opinion is more of a collectors prespective and not necessarly general consumer prespective for a shootable mauser....

Obviously they have made a nitch in the military gun collecting field with there publicity--and obviously some people are very happy with what they have got for there money

---enjoy!---
FYI

BAF

"the only way to fix that poor gun my lad"....

"Is to find the time machine that is set to one day before Vic' got his hands on it"

Edited by - boltactionsforever on 03/15/2005 12:01:25 PM

bda
Gunboards Super Premium Member

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 03/15/2005 : 11:20:52 AM

Well said BAF. It pains me to see people getting duped by their deceptive advertising. Just like their presentation grade P-38's for $2000K. I guess the box is worth the extra $1500.

Bryan

Edited by - bda on 03/15/2005 11:30:47 AM

billt
Gunboards Member

USA
55 Posts
Posted - 03/15/2005 : 12:30:35 PM

I'm not questioning your Mauser "expertise". That being said, I fail to see all this "duping" and "deceptive advertising" you claim Mitchell's engages in. Mitchell's clearly states that these Mausers are in fact Yugoslavian built, not German built. I'm not as intrested in history of a given rifle as I am in having a nice clean gun. Mitchell's provides this. Yes, their prices are higher, but as I said, I haven't seen guns as nice priced for much less. I do agree that some of their pieces such as the "Nazi Death Head" marked rifles are clearly overpriced, as are some of their Lugers. They do offer a money back gurantee on everything they sell, and I haven't heard a bad thing about them on any board, other than the pricing complaints. When you consider that Mil-Tech offers a K98 which is rebuilt complete with a laminated stock for $1,125.00, these guns are a bargin by comparision. I have a few friends that obtained M-1 Garands thru the DCM and these guns were far more overpriced in my opinion considering their condition. When you take into consideration $299.00 will buy you a Remington 710 at Wally World, and not much more, these guns look very good for the price. I'm no Mauser expert, this is just my take on the subject as a shooter, reloader, and gun enthusiast who wants a good clean Mauser, and feels safer buying such from a company like Mitchell's as opposed to some cigar smoking huckster at a gun show. billt

ditch68

USA
340 Posts
Posted - 03/15/2005 : 12:54:03 PM

billt,

Well, I do think it is great that you like the rifles. They are nice, and fit your purpose well! No one is giving you a hard time for that.

It's just that this is a dedicated German K98k forum, a very specific subset of "Military Mausers", for which there is a seperate gunboards forum.

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6

The guys here spend lots of time debating and discussing many of the very fine details of German produced k98k rifles from 1934-1945, right down to which inspectors stamps belong on which bolt part in what timeframe...well, you get the point. Pretty much a very specific range of topics for a specific rifle.

That is not to say AT ALL that you are not welcome here, you are- I'd like to say welcome aboard personally!- but M48's are not k98k's, so the "purists" may not have much to give you about them on THIS forum. Lots of us do frequent the other Gunboards forums, and have cross collecting interests, but M48 commentary on this forum is probably out of place somewhat.

As for Mitchell's, they are what they are, but the $10,000 RC rifles with "deathsheads" and runes ARE fake, and fraudulent copies for shameless profit sold to uninformed victims. Period.

I hope this clears things up, and again, welcome!!

Jeff

"Never say Never"
11B
Visit my website on Czech produced German small arms -
http://www.cagedlion.com

alamo

USA
413 Posts
Posted - 03/15/2005 : 1:53:54 PM

In case anyone hasn't seen the Mitchell's 98K website, here it is:

http://www.mitchellsales.com/rifles/hist_k98/index.htm

So that's RC that's been cleaned up and with new or refinished stock? No thanks. How about that $800 presentation case?

Here was something of interest on their M48. Wonder how people could have gotten that idea? I certainly did a few years ago from their ads before I knew anything about 98ks:

"Some people may be getting the mistaken impression that these rifles were manufactured by Germans during the occupation. That is not the case. These rifles were manufactured with German technology in Serbia after the people had driven the Germans out of Yugoslavia.
This is an important distinction, because that is one of the reasons why the Model 48 is recognized as a superior example of the K98 type military rifle. The factory in Serbia was not bombed, like the German factories during the war. The factory in Serbia had a good supply of raw materials. And the Model 48 was produced by free people, instead of forced labor. All of which resulted in a superior rifle in its own right, as well as an interesting piece of history."

Geologist
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
102 Posts
Posted - 03/15/2005 : 2:04:00 PM

Thank You, BAF.

Billt, Do you have a C&R FFL licence? If you do, you will be able to buy any type of C&R mauser (including the RC now being imported. These can be delivered to your door by UPS. I Love this Country!!!!!

Buying from Mitchells is like buying generic cheap Tequila. It gives you the buzz, but you are stuck with the hangover.

Geogunner

Nirvana
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
709 Posts
Posted - 03/15/2005 : 2:06:10 PM

Mitchells Mausers clearly states that the rifles are Yugo, because they took a lot of flak for not doing so in the past. The put a lot of emphasis on the 1943 dated crest, german war machine, etc etc and failed to mention in some ads that the rifles were in fact yugo made. This fact, in addition with their selling of rifles that are almost certainly fakes (all those ss rifles...) has given them a bad reputation in the collecting community.

Miltech does offer a "rebuilt" k98, which you price at $1125. Mitchells also offers one, with possibly dubious markings, for a base price $2500. Depending on what else youd like stamped on the rifle...(ahem) they go up to $7500, with a scope they go up to $10,000.

We dont mean to sour your impression of the gun collecting world at all, we are just trying to help point you towards better, more price effecient and honest dealers. Feel free to ask any questions, and I have no doubt the guys here will do their best to help.
Chris

boltactionsforever

USA
1719 Posts
Posted - 03/15/2005 : 2:15:15 PM

Mitchell's Mausers have been around for years---there advertising practices are legendary for years to say the least!...Mitchell's offerings are simular to Mil-tech only with a fast food type of approach is the best way to put it---

they always look better then they taste afterwards!..

It's obvious you are more concern how they look and the collectors I guess should encourage your interest in shooting, but looking for a collector to give you there thumbs up as far as a Mitchell's Mauser being a collectors piece--your barking up the wrong tree--wont happen any time soon!----

"do agree that some of their pieces such as the "Nazi Death Head" marked rifles are clearly overpriced"....

Overpriced??...Yeaaa but your missing the point, where talking about flat fraudulant activities here in which you will learn once (or if)you get deeper into collection...These are not originals---these are rebuilt-rehacked Russian Capture k98's to look like "new" German mausers with stampings to make them appear to be original!...100% rebuilt to attract unsuspecting consumers to think they are getting the real-deal....The "Death head" and "SS" markings are/where offered on m48 also--WOW!--For gosh sakes, these divisions of German warfare where LONG GONE before the M48's where ever though of!!!---Usually you hear from time to time new collectors getting in way to deep with Mitchell's before they know what happened!...

About the only thing I can say is
"if your happy with your money spent---enjoy".....

Welcome to the boards---hopefully you will see where the majority of collectors are coming from in the future about the Mitchell's Mausers

FYI

BAF

"the only way to fix that poor gun my lad"....

"Is to find the time machine that is set to one day before Vic' got his hands on it"

alamo

USA
413 Posts
Posted - 03/15/2005 : 4:06:18 PM

I understand Mitchell's has just obtained a limited supply of Jennings/Bryco J25 .25 "Saturday Night Specials". Confiscated from real East LA gang members by the LAPD. Serial numbers scratched out. Comes in teak presentation case and an old issue of Soldier of Fortune. Crips or Bloods markings on slide. $750 - Crips, $800 - Bloods. Partially visible serial number - Add $100.

J.Stein

2970 Posts
Posted - 03/15/2005 : 4:34:04 PM

Alamo, LMAO, please don't give them any more ideas.

Mitchell's writes:
"These rifles were manufactured with German technology in Serbia after the people had driven the Germans out of Yugoslavia.
This is an important distinction, because that is one of the reasons why the Model 48 is recognized as a superior example of the K98 type military rifle."

There "correction" is still BS!
"German technology" what the heck is that!? AFAIK, the Germans never built a rifle in Yugoslavia...are they confused with Czechoslavakia DOT and DOU codes? Or do they mean the basic Mauser bolt design? If so, was the Springfield 1903 then built with "German technology"?

The M48 is recognized as a superior example of the K98!?!?!. First, it is not a K98!!!! Secondly the M48's are not even in the same class as the M28/47's that preceded them in terms of final fitting and machining. They may look "unissued" but just work the bolt and compare it to any German K98 (even a '45) and you'll understand.

I grow tired, rant mode is now off.
Take care gentlemen.

alamo

USA
413 Posts
Posted - 03/15/2005 : 4:56:00 PM

I seen to recall from an old ad that "German technology" means the rifles were made on German machines. Guess that means the factory happened to have a couple of milling machines made in Germany or something like that.

JAYFMT

USA
720 Posts
Posted - 03/15/2005 : 6:32:18 PM

Have you heard the Mitchell may have a new crop of rifles comming their way, check out the following link.

http://p077.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm9.showMessage?topicID=4477.topic

Mr Paul Caruso

USA
755 Posts
Posted - 03/19/2005 : 11:35:27 AM

I have two words for Mitchells, RIP OFF.

However, Bill, those are pretty rifles. Please don't take my comments personnally, but they just clean up their rifles, add a few bells and whistles and charge a boatload.

For your next purchase, try Empire or Coles.

C

Getinthere

341 Posts
Posted - 03/20/2005 : 6:53:30 PM

Billt, I just read this post. These guys should work for gov. or someone. I am in 'awe' at all the FIRST hand knowledge! Such criticism.... No encouragement. And, as alway's,a comeback to cover their butts,and feel good know it all izm. You watch.

Getinthere

341 Posts
Posted - 03/20/2005 : 6:55:26 PM

And by the way billt, great photos.Enjoy!

Mr Paul Caruso

USA
755 Posts
Posted - 03/20/2005 : 7:04:53 PM

Get,
Are you speaking of my posts?

I stand by what I said and I told Bill they are nice rifles, but overpriced.
Again, try Empire or Coles.

C

Getinthere

341 Posts
Posted - 03/21/2005 : 5:54:19 PM

I have two words for Mitchells, RIP OFF.

However, Bill, those are pretty rifles. Please don't take my comments personnally, but they just clean up their rifles, add a few bells and whistles and charge a boatload.

In general,All the posts stink.All they do is critcize. I also have other Mausers. I,and I'm sure billt wasn't deceived by the termonology.For the price,a fine weapon. Nit pickin,no helpin opinions is all one gets from all the 'experts'. As I stated in the other thread, I am in AWE!

Mr Paul Caruso

USA
755 Posts
Posted - 03/21/2005 : 6:43:02 PM

If you are in awe, then you are easily impressed.

C

creepiE

USA
1768 Posts
Posted - 03/21/2005 : 6:48:25 PM

If you are happy thats all that counts!

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~Thomas Jefferson

palongrifles

USA
384 Posts
Posted - 03/21/2005 : 7:14:16 PM

If you like them, and are happy with the price, that's great. In some cases Mitchell's may indeed try to mislead or defraud, but we are all grown ups. I liked how nice the mitchell yugos looked. I was very tempted. Got an RC mauser instead, but ya never know. I might get one of the yugos too. Main thing is, if you were/are happy with the rifles and prices, then that's all there should be to it. The time to diss somebody's choice is not AFTER the fact, in my opinion. That time is when they are thinking about what to purchase or asking questions. If a guy goes away happy and comes to us proudly and happily saying he now has a mauser.....let him enjoy his moment. Myself, I hate those kinda folks (not saying anybody here necessarily) who just seem to live to piss on somebody else's parade.
Nice car. I saw the same thing on sale for 2000 less. I'd never buy from that dealer you did. I see you got so and so to do your roof. How much did you pay. I heard they do really crappy work and you will be replacing that roof in several years. That sort of thing. Friend, if YOU are happy with those rifles, and were willing to pay whatever you did, then that's all that matters.

ricoim
Gunboards Member

USA
27 Posts
Posted - 05/18/2006 : 10:30:11 PM

Hello all, interesting stories about the Famous Mithell's Rifles. I was almost duked in buying one of the $10k rifles, but the owner made it to easy get one. He said, send me the $2500 deposit and he should be able to find a rifle with everything on it that I want. BS, there is no way unless he has his Serbia company make one up!!! He swares that he has contacts scouring the german country side for the rifle that I desire. Again, "BS" Most of the rifles that were ever seized in Europe are already over here, sure there could be a cache of rifles somewhere In Eastern Europe or Germany, but not likely a k98 LSR rifle with SS stamps and Death Head markings on it in excelent condition, and unissued condition. Again "BS". Anyways, I have purchased a few rifles from Miltech, and they are probabaly the best rifles I have ever seen "reconditioned" and yes, somtimes original sniper configuration, depending on what they get in. But at least they are honest with you, and dont try to con you with a fake. With that being said, I would gladly pay up to $10k for an SS all matching sniper rifle from Mithelle's, or anyone else, if they can prove that the rifle is original and not made up.

Seriously, if you know someone trying to sell a k98 LSR sniper with matching numbers, please let me know!!!!!! Thanks
[email protected]

Soldjourner
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
116 Posts
Posted - 05/19/2006 : 3:04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by boltactionsforever

"German" influance???---Well the German war machine was long gone when these rifles where built the first time (ie; 1948)......But Mitchell's has zero problem telling you all about these German Mausers....There NOT German mausers--there Yugoslavia built mausers....ie; m48-m48a medium length action mausers---not true German K98 large ring long action mausers like they would like you to believe.

Many of the m48 stock from Mitchell's have been made in the last 5-6 years oversea's from Teak to make the guns look spectacular in appearance(someone did a wonderful write-up on this on the old boards--and had the wood tested--most of them are some form of Eastern Teak within the last 5-6 years
BAF

I received a Mitchell's M-48A recently. NOWHERE IN THEIR ADVERTISING DO THEY SAY THIS IS A GERMAN RIFLE. They say correctly that it is a VARIANT of the 98k. They make clear that it is issued after the war. You need to start doing your research and pay attention to what people are saying or keep your elitist comments to yourself.

LET ME ASK ALL THE ELITISTS HERE: WHEN PARA ORDNANCE OR SPRINGFIELD OR HK OR SMITH&WESSON TELLs YOU THEY ARE SELLING YOU A 1911, IS IT REALLY A 1911?. Well...yeah...it's jut not the orginal 1911, especially the compact models.

MITCHELL'S EVEN GOES SO FAR AS TO STATE THAT THESE IN FACT WERE MANUFACTURED AFTER THE WAR...READY FOR SERVICE BUT NEVER USED !!! IN FACT THEY GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO SAY IT MANY TIMES.

Your comment about the 5-6 year old Teak is mis-informed as well and I would say an outright hearsay slander. You reference some inaccessible study "years ago" that no one can access. Do you mean they cut down a teak tree (that had to be older than 5-6 years in order to get the stock) and manufactured it 5-6 years ago, or are you saying that they really used a teak tree that was only 5 years old? That would be impossible, wouldn't it?? On the M48-A rifle I received I got an old growth hardwood with all the inspection stamps. If what you're saying is true, Mitchell's has committed the federal crime of fraud. I'm looking at my rifle and all the components are old and moldy smelling, even the bayonett, with semi-crystallized preservative and actual mold as well !! THAT CANNOT BE FAKED. And while Mithchell's does a good job cleaning the rifle, they can't get everything...so when I first got my rifle, I checked for fakeness to see if it was "too" clean. Upon inspection I noticed there was preservative everywhere under the surface -- under the rings, in the bolt, under the butt, just soaked clean through everywhere. You still have to take it apart and clean the 60 years of gunk out. You just can't get that type of permeation if you're faking. In fact, if part of the Mitchell's operation was to allocate a substantial portion of its operating budget to the fixed cost of "faking" these weapons, they would be out of business, since forgeries this good would be prohibitively expensive. Think about what you are saying...it's ludicrous.

By the way, I am not working for Mitchell's. I've noticed in the past on this "98k forum" that if you like a Mitchell's rifle then you're accused of working for Mithchell's -- don't even try it with me.

I love mine and can't wait to ring it out this weekend. I bought it as my first Mauser to simply familiarize myself with the genre. Before I start dis-assembling real antique mausers I wanted a "guinea pig" I could practice with. I suggest people who buy Mitchell's go over to the military mauser forum, where they are a bit more informed and a bit more forgiving of newbies.

gunguy98

USA
306 Posts
Posted - 05/19/2006 : 4:52:46 PM

It's only been relatively recent that Mitchell's has changed the wording in their ads. Everything that they put in their ads was designed to hook a sucker into thinking they were getting a WWII German Mauser, And how many freaking times does it have to be said that the M48 is not a varient of the K98K! It's an updated version of an FN24, it has and I repeat again, nothing to do with a K98K

Soldjourner
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
116 Posts
Posted - 05/19/2006 : 5:21:41 PM

Like it or not, the 24 and 48 are variants of the K98, just as the K98 is a derivative of the Gew 98, and before that, the Gew 98 being desended from other earlier Mauser models. You're mincing words. The Yugo 48 is just one of a long line of battle rifles descended from that complex whole you refer to as Mauser.

"Over 14 million of these rifles were produced by various manufacturers. However, this number includes versions of the rifle other than the K98k. From 1950 to 1965, Yugoslavia produced a near-carbon copy of the K98k called the Model 1948, which differed only from the German rifle in that it had the shorter bolt-action of the Model 1924 series of Mauser rifles. In addition, in 1953, the Spanish were manufacturing a slightly modified version, but with a straight bolt handle."

No one is saying your K98 is not a K98. Why are people so bitter and elitist in the K98 forum toward newer people who are proud of their new acquisitions? Like it or not, we are collectors. Who are you all to say that the M48 is not collectible? The market will make that decision in time. At one point the 1911A1 was not collectible. Have you considered how near-sighted your comments seem to others in-the-know?

killertom

Hungary
260 Posts
Posted - 05/19/2006 : 5:28:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Soldjourner

quote:
Originally posted by boltactionsforever

"German" influance???---Well the German war machine was long gone when these rifles where built the first time (ie; 1948)......But Mitchell's has zero problem telling you all about these German Mausers....There NOT German mausers--there Yugoslavia built mausers....ie; m48-m48a medium length action mausers---not true German K98 large ring long action mausers like they would like you to believe.

Many of the m48 stock from Mitchell's have been made in the last 5-6 years oversea's from Teak to make the guns look spectacular in appearance(someone did a wonderful write-up on this on the old boards--and had the wood tested--most of them are some form of Eastern Teak within the last 5-6 years
BAF

I received a Mitchell's M-48A recently. NOWHERE IN THEIR ADVERTISING DO THEY SAY THIS IS A GERMAN RIFLE. They say correctly that it is a VARIANT of the 98k. They make clear that it is issued after the war. You need to start doing your research and pay attention to what people are saying or keep your elitist comments to yourself.

LET ME ASK ALL THE ELITISTS HERE: WHEN PARA ORDNANCE OR SPRINGFIELD OR HK OR SMITH&WESSON TELLs YOU THEY ARE SELLING YOU A 1911, IS IT REALLY A 1911?. Well...yeah...it's jut not the orginal 1911, especially the compact models.

MITCHELL'S EVEN GOES SO FAR AS TO STATE THAT THESE IN FACT WERE MANUFACTURED AFTER THE WAR...READY FOR SERVICE BUT NEVER USED !!! IN FACT THEY GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO SAY IT MANY TIMES.

Your comment about the 5-6 year old Teak is mis-informed as well and I would say an outright hearsay slander. You reference some inaccessible study "years ago" that no one can access. Do you mean they cut down a teak tree (that had to be older than 5-6 years in order to get the stock) and manufactured it 5-6 years ago, or are you saying that they really used a teak tree that was only 5 years old? That would be impossible, wouldn't it?? On the M48-A rifle I received I got an old growth hardwood with all the inspection stamps. If what you're saying is true, Mitchell's has committed the federal crime of fraud. I'm looking at my rifle and all the components are old and moldy smelling, even the bayonett, with semi-crystallized preservative and actual mold as well !! THAT CANNOT BE FAKED. And while Mithchell's does a good job cleaning the rifle, they can't get everything...so when I first got my rifle, I checked for fakeness to see if it was "too" clean. Upon inspection I noticed there was preservative everywhere under the surface -- under the rings, in the bolt, under the butt, just soaked clean through everywhere. You still have to take it apart and clean the 60 years of gunk out. You just can't get that type of permeation if you're faking. In fact, if part of the Mitchell's operation was to allocate a substantial portion of its operating budget to the fixed cost of "faking" these weapons, they would be out of business, since forgeries this good would be prohibitively expensive. Think about what you are saying...it's ludicrous.

By the way, I am not working for Mitchell's. I've noticed in the past on this "98k forum" that if you like a Mitchell's rifle then you're accused of working for Mithchell's -- don't even try it with me.

I love mine and can't wait to ring it out this weekend. I bought it as my first Mauser to simply familiarize myself with the genre. Before I start dis-assembling real antique mausers I wanted a "guinea pig" I could practice with. I suggest people who buy Mitchell's go over to the military mauser forum, where they are a bit more informed and a bit more forgiving of newbies.

Your comment is based on a wrong assumption. The term "fake" wasn't used regarding the M48-s, it was used about the SS marked rifles, that are sold by Mitchells. And you know what? Wanting to collect rifles that have been in battle, and had a part in history is not elitism. Elitism is the type of collecting that only buys the shiny "like new" or "unissued" rifles, and Mitchells serves this kind of elitist collecting.

Istennel a hazáért és a szabadságért!

jd46561

USA
1255 Posts
Posted - 05/19/2006 : 5:43:55 PM

If you want a Mitchell mauser pay the rediculas extra bucks and buy one. If you dont ? dont. This topic has been run into the ground. There are worse things to worry about. IMO .

"Hold on to your lug nuts, its time for an overhaul!"

Red9

USA
1033 Posts
Posted - 05/19/2006 : 6:39:29 PM

I wonder when Mitchell's is going to offer for sale those extremaly rare M48's with the Afrika Korps markings.

Soldjourner
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
116 Posts
Posted - 05/19/2006 : 10:21:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by killertom

Your comment is based on a wrong assumption. The term "fake" wasn't used regarding the M48-s... [/quote]

"Many of the m48 stock from Mitchell's have been made in the last 5-6 years oversea's from Teak to make the guns look spectacular"

WOW. That sounds like he's talking about the M48. Not only that, it sounds like he's talking about the M48 being faked (i.e., "made in the last 5 years").

My comments aren't directed at the majority here who have welcoming, encouraging comments for anyone wanting to learn more about Mausers. There are some awesomely knowledgeable people on this forum. It's directed at pseudo-intellectual, weekend warriors who are in between jobs and living in their mom's basement just wanting to rain on someone's parade with 100%, non-researched false statements and even thinner retorts (we've all seen these types at the range and at gun shows). Let's pretend that we're working in a company together and those few that I'm talking about are the bitter employees engaging in meaningless, low-value complaining, and then the CEO walks in and tells them to go back to their cubicles like Milton in "Office Space" with his Swingline stapler. Yes, Milton, the stapler is yours, no one else can have it. There is one and only one and yours is the one. So why don't you take your one and only K98 to your basement and not engage with anyone else because your world is so special and the M48 world has no credibility.

Bill_in_VA

USA
1416 Posts
Posted - 05/20/2006 : 12:06:48 AM

quote:

Why are people so bitter and elitist in the K98 forum toward newer people who are proud of their new acquisitions? Like it or not, we are collectors. Who are you all to say that the M48 is not collectible?

Easy there, Tex...there's no need for the militant attitude. I don't think anyone here is acting "elitist and bitter", nor do I think anyone is trying to put down another's guns. BAF and the others were simply clarifying the facts that the M48 is not a K98. Indeed, it is more accurately a development of the K98, rather than a "variant." It's no more a variant of the K98 than is the 1903 Springfield. Yes, it utilizes the same design, but very few parts will interchange between the K98 and the M48 (just like the model 1903.) And for the record, for a long time, Mitchells did word their ads to give the impression that their M48s were WWII German rifles. As far as what's collectible and what's not, I think that falls to the individual collector's choice. Some folks collect salt and pepper shakers, Star Wars toys, guns, or ten-year-old grilled chees sandwichs with what's enerously described as an image of Jesus. Some folks don't consider the RC K98s as "collectible" or of having any "history." If you or anyone else wants to colelct M48s, or anything else, then they're certainly collectible to someone.

http://www.foxco504thpir.com/index.html

Soldjourner
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
116 Posts
Posted - 05/20/2006 : 02:19:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bill_in_VA
Easy there, Tex...for a long time, Mitchells did word their ads to give the impression that their M48s were WWII German rifles.

I'm not Tex...I'm in VA, too

Agreed on your point about Mitchell's old advertising. Of course it was only after I made my purchase that i heard about MM's shifty ways, so last week I dug up there ads from a few years ago and I will definitely concede that they were making outright false claims. I'm sorry some got taken by those claims. I do however stand by my statements about their position on the M48.

I am symantically challenged with words like "variant" because I'm new to this C&R stuff. Perhaps when I acquire more specimens i will have the firsthand knowledge of some of you more experienced folk, whose expertise is greatly appreciated.

Bill_in_VA

USA
1416 Posts
Posted - 05/20/2006 : 09:01:26 AM

quote:
I'm not Tex...I'm in VA, too

Where at? SW Virginia, here.

http://www.foxco504thpir.com/index.html

tuan minh quoc nguyen
Starting Member

1 Posts
Posted - 07/21/2006 : 1:49:04 PM

Hi guys:
I'm sorry I'm not a collector, just an ignorant shooter. I just bought a Yugo M48 from Mitchell's Mausers, and then I read all these boards and forums on the internet and found out the truth. Yes, I paid too much, and the M48 was made from 1948 on. But to say that it's a "development" and not a "variant" of the K98k, well, come of you collectors sure like to split hairs with semantics. I just got Rifles of the World, 3rd Edition, by John Walters, and on page 326, it calls the YugoM48 a "K98k variant". And while it may not share interchangeable parts, page 325 says that, at least on a superficial level, it "was difficult to distinguish from the German K98k". You can't say the same about a Springfield 1903. Look, guys, it's a close copy of the K98k, and while not close enough to satisfy some collectors, for a shooter like me, it's just fine.
tuan

Sal

USA
897 Posts
Posted - 07/21/2006 : 4:08:27 PM

Who really cares, the guy bought a rifle and shared it with us. Why all the rambling, some of these post are like trying to read war and peace.

So its not to your lofty standards, he's happy with it.

solman

USA
1615 Posts
Posted - 07/21/2006 : 7:24:35 PM

I want a chromed 'tanker' yugo. with ss marks with a luftwaffe stock.

Trompe la mort

shootingguy
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
179 Posts
Posted - 07/21/2006 : 9:31:07 PM

I am also very fond of my K98 variant the Ruger M77. Many of the parts dont interchange but I think it would be hard to say the Ruger did not copy the Mauser K98....

The two loudest sounds in the world are a CLICK that should have went BANG and a BANG that should have went CLICK!

torp.ss

313 Posts
Posted - 07/21/2006 : 10:55:20 PM

This K98K room needs a spam blocker. One you could type in "Mitchell's" and "M48" and it would block any posting with the above words. Jeez! Or maybe a room with "Rifles that look like K98Ks ,kinda".

Spitzenmeister

USA
572 Posts
Posted - 07/22/2006 : 05:56:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sal

So its not to your lofty standards, he's happy with it.

Sal, if I advertised for sale a 1968 Charger painted like the General Lee, and you got there and it was a 1972 VW Beetle with a picture of Ho Chi Minh, could I accuse you of having lofty standards if you complained about it?

"Nations do not mistrust each other because they are armed, they are armed because they mistrust each other." - Ronald Reagan

Sal

USA
897 Posts
Posted - 07/22/2006 : 11:09:55 AM

here we go again, looking for another spanking! its a $200.00 rifle - get a life, besides he takes good pictures.

Hambone
I Have A Tina Tuner Style Haircut

2647 Posts
Posted - 07/22/2006 : 11:33:41 AM

With Mitchell's you pay a great deal more for their carnival barking, pimpshine, and accessories sealed in plastic. You'd have to be a nitwit to pay for the pimpshined "presentation" K98ks they peddle when you could almost get an original matching one for the same price. I like buying things that will go up in value. Their stuff likely won't. "Miltech's" pimpshined refurbs sell today for about what they did 10 years ago. To each his own.

Spitzenmeister

USA
572 Posts
Posted - 07/22/2006 : 1:14:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sal

here we go again, looking for another spanking! its a $200.00 rifle - get a life

Sure, I was thinking about becoming a Yes Man for second-rate collectibles on an Internet website. Whoo hoo what a life!

Anyway, he does take good photos. And no one is knocking a $200 rifle, especially if the buyer likes it. Just that a newbie might be able to get a similar product for less. Personally, I think they would be better off getting an RC from Military Gun Supply, or Coles, than a M48.

Ok, here are the keys to your new VW. Now go get them Duke Boys, remember, you're in hot pursuit!

"Nations do not mistrust each other because they are armed, they are armed because they mistrust each other." - Ronald Reagan

Soldjourner
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
116 Posts
Posted - 07/22/2006 : 7:10:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hambone

I like buying things that will go up in value.

Hambone, this is not directed at you personally so don't take offense; this is just my general .02 on "value."

ALL of the rifles and/or small arms I've read about on these forums are "intrinsic," subjective and personal in value. They have no real economic value. They are money pits with the ammo and everything else. They appreciate very, very slowly and one will never change one's financial position in a material way by mistaking the word "value" for investment appreciation. Sometimes I am not sure how the word is being used on this website. Sometimes people talk as if they are "investing" because they juxtapose with statements like "value going up."

If you want to invest in collectable military small arms, become a dealer or distributor, by lots low, and drive revenue with volume. Otherwise, the individual Joe Collector is just sitting on a bunch of very slowly appreciating inventory in their garages. They do it because they love it. Yes, I agree with you: they go "up" in value, but I don't think the "value" after 10 years will allow anyone to retire or put kids through college, especially after you subtract out all the other costs, like ammo, range fees, licensing, background checks, etc., that the "investment" has generated.

I maintain that the only value in these rifles is the personal love of the hobby and the subject. Therefore, if someone thinks a Mitchells is of value...good for him !!

The only lopsided statements being made here are by people claiming they got a better deal than the Mitchell's people; when in fact, they are no better off in terms of economic gain than the Mitchell's person; so it leaves one to wonder why that person would be so bitter and hostile toward someone else who is having fun with his hobby. Don't they know that the only valuable military collectable arm is one that is of presentation grade, or one that is a rare production piece. I guess another scenario would be if you bought a large lot of say, M-1 Garands, original Springfield issue pre War, in the 1950's.

I have to give credit to the writers on gunboards: when I first bought my Mitchells and popped up as a newbie everyone was extremely supportive. 99% of them held back statements they probably wanted to make and decided not to bust my bubble. Instead, they chose to instruct kindly and guide me so I could go on with future purchases more informed.

It's clear that the other people on the boards who center their conversation about "better pricing" really don't know what they're talking about. With them there is simply some ongoing desire to strut around and be better than everyone else and pop everyone else's bubble, with very little support and information offered for other people.

Scouts honor: that is my last diatribe on the Mitchell's/economic/pricing debacle. I own a Mitchell's and I am just tired of the naysayers!! I've already moved on to my first 91/30 and M44 purchase !!!

Soldjourner
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
116 Posts
Posted - 07/22/2006 : 7:11:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hambone

I like buying things that will go up in value.

Hambone, this is not directed at you personally so don't take offense; this is just my general .02 on "value."

ALL of the rifles and/or small arms I've read about on these forums are "intrinsic," subjective and personal in value. They have no real economic value. They are money pits with the ammo and everything else. They appreciate very, very slowly and one will never change one's financial position in a material way by mistaking the word "value" for investment appreciation. Sometimes I am not sure how the word is being used on this website. Sometimes people talk as if they are "investing" because they juxtapose with statements like "value going up."

If you want to invest in collectable military small arms, become a dealer or distributor, by lots low, and drive revenue with volume. Otherwise, the individual Joe Collector is just sitting on a bunch of very slowly appreciating inventory in their garages. They do it because they love it. Yes, I agree with you: they go "up" in value, but I don't think the "value" after 10 years will allow anyone to retire or put kids through college, especially after you subtract out all the other costs, like ammo, range fees, licensing, background checks, etc., that the "investment" has generated.

I maintain that the only value in these rifles is the personal love of the hobby and the subject. Therefore, if someone thinks a Mitchells is of value...good for him !!

The only lopsided statements being made here are by people claiming they got a better deal than the Mitchell's people; when in fact, they are no better off in terms of economic gain than the Mitchell's person; so it leaves one to wonder why that person would be so bitter and hostile toward someone else who is having fun with his hobby. Don't they know that the only valuable military collectable arm is one that is of presentation grade, or one that is a rare production piece. I guess another scenario would be if you bought a large lot of say, M-1 Garands, original Springfield issue pre War, in the 1950's.

I have to give credit to the writers on gunboards: when I first bought my Mitchells and popped up as a newbie everyone was extremely supportive. 99% of them held back statements they probably wanted to make and decided not to bust my bubble. Instead, they chose to instruct kindly and guide me so I could go on with future purchases more informed.

It's clear that the other people on the boards who center their conversation about "better pricing" really don't know what they're talking about. With them there is simply some ongoing desire to strut around and be better than everyone else and pop everyone else's bubble, with very little support and information offered for other people.

Scouts honor: that is my last diatribe on the Mitchell's/economic/pricing debacle. I own a Mitchell's and I am just tired of the naysayers!! I've already moved on to my first 91/30 and M44 purchase !!!

torp.ss

313 Posts
Posted - 07/22/2006 : 11:43:00 PM

Not an investment?? I bought a all matching high turret 98k in 1971 for $750.00. Not as a investment but because I wanted it.5 yrs. later I was offered twice that for it and at that time I thought this is better than money in the bank. I sold it 8 mths ago with a lifetime gurantee of origionality and the wife is driving a new Chevrolet Malibu with the funds.I am sure that in 35 yrs. that the car will not appreciate like the Mauser did.I consider the 98k purchase a good investment,and better than a bank CD at 3.9%.

Rich42

USA
2178 Posts
Posted - 07/23/2006 : 03:33:19 AM

Soldjourner- I know that you are relatively new to scene. Yours is a voice of logic and reason. Your are assuming that you are also dealing with logical reasonable people. Pointing out the folly of the mentality that is displayed here is like pissing in the wind.

Or like wrestling with pigs in mud. After awhile you figure out they like it.

The Mitchells Mauser thing has been going on for years to the point of ad naseum.

FWIW I think the original poster is a troll. Like a late night talk radio show, he knows how to stir up people that are narrow in view and anal retentive. He is probably sitting at his computer laughing. The post is also a year old.

Take it with a grain of salt my friend and somewhere along the line you will find some people on here you can have an intelligent inter change with about Milsurps and collecting.

Hambone
I Have A Tina Tuner Style Haircut

2647 Posts
Posted - 07/23/2006 : 10:16:14 PM

Soldjourner, no offense taken, and none meant. When I say I like buying things that hold their value or appreciate, that goes for everything if I can stand it. I'd rather pay $300 for an original antique table than $150 for a new one. In one month the new table is worth $50. Same with Mitchells. Of course, I buy things because they make me happy too. But again, I try to make good use of my hard earned money so that when I retire and get ready to sell I won't be moving mountains of crap for pennies on the dollar. Mitchells stuff appreciates like Miltech. Their lower end Mausers are fine if under several hundred bucks. To spend more than that on their stuff is not the best firearm investment IMHO. Then again, I spent most of my hard earned money on beer and chasing skirts for the majority of my life, and I also wasted money too ;)

PAGE 2...................................................................................................................

ICE Agent
Starting Member

9 Posts
Posted - 07/23/2006 : 10:56:07 PM

Nice rifle, I remember buying mine a couple of years ago from a local shop. I got it mint with a bayonet for $117.00 each. Then again, I didn't get the certificate with it!

I just paid under $450.00 for 2 nice RC's and 1 nice bring back. In the years to come, I see the value of my rifles going up while your heads the other direction.

quote:
Originally posted by billt

I'm new here, and to the "Mauser game". Just thought I'd post some pics of a couple of new Mausers that I got from Mitchell's a couple of weeks ago. I was really pleased with the guns overall. billt

Rich42

USA
2178 Posts
Posted - 07/24/2006 : 01:07:38 AM

Soldjourner- I rest my case. I think you are by now getting the idea.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts