Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
drdave
Gunboards Super Premium Member

USA
325 Posts
Posted - 07/29/2005 : 02:11:39 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How far should a correctly sized cleaning rod extend beyond the furthest part of the stock? Should it fit under the bayonet lug, or should it extend beyond the bayonet lug?

petersmoke
Gunboards Premium Member

Netherlands
229 Posts
Posted - 07/29/2005 : 05:02:54 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Dave,

it should be longer than your bayo lug,,more like just till your frontsight or so.

you`ll need a 12.5 inch when your rifle is made in or after 1939..I think.

best regards Tom

Edited by - s42 on 07/29/2005 07:32:50 AM

Vulch
Moderator English Gun Pub

Australia
6297 Posts
Posted - 07/29/2005 : 07:31:35 AM

If the STOCK was made AFTER 1939, then it should be a 12.5" rod.

If the stock was made BEFORE 1939, then it should be a 10.5" rod.

All the rods I sold recently were the early pattern 10.5" rod.

Since Russians reused any stock on any year rifle, you have to be SURE before buying a rod! (it doesn't hurt to check always anyway, as anomolies happen)

Bob in OHIO
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

1119 Posts
Posted - 07/29/2005 : 09:05:28 AM

Also, look at the nut placement for the rod. If you can see the nut from under the rear band...you need a shortie. If you only see the nut from inside the stock... 12.5"

My CD full of K98 pics... http://bobinohio.com/

[email protected]

Vulch

Australia
6297 Posts
Posted - 07/29/2005 : 8:34:09 PM

Yep - quick and easy way to tell.

solman
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1615 Posts
Posted - 07/30/2005 : 12:11:39 AM

hey i found a 16 in rod, fits the threads on my k98, but man to long! looks like a lebel bayo!
what is it for?
sol

Trompe la mort

Vulch

Australia
6297 Posts
Posted - 07/30/2005 : 01:10:58 AM

Gew98, or most Mauser 98 long rifles (Brazilian 08, Argentine 09 etc)

drdave

USA
325 Posts
Posted - 07/30/2005 : 01:43:46 AM

Looks like I'm doing it right then! I bought one of Vulch's rods before I bought the rifle, but the rod didn't arrive from Australia until this week. I guess the Customs officers decided to take their time examining such a complex device. Anyhow, the rifle is a Russian mixmaster with a 1943 reciever, the stock was force-matched from another rifle. The rod fits such that it extends to underneath the front sight post. A 12" rod would exend beyond the end of the barrel. THANKS VULCH!!!

Vulch

Australia
6297 Posts
Posted - 07/30/2005 : 02:26:27 AM

No worries Dave! Glad you got the RIGHT rod!

azdoug
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

585 Posts
Posted - 07/30/2005 : 9:50:43 PM

I didn't measure first. I assumed I had an early stock because of the flat butt plate. When my shorter rod arrived from Australia, (thanks Vulch)it went in under the bayo lug. Oops. Oh well, I know I will need the shorter rod for a future RC purchase. Again, thanks Vulch, I couldn't find any of the short rods for a decent price here.

my-rifle

USA
508 Posts
Posted - 02/01/2007 : 7:18:56 PM

I bought two 12" cleaning rods - one for my M48 and another for my 1943 Bystrica K98. It seems to be too thick to get into the cleaning rod channel on the K98, and it is too short for my M48. What can this rod be made for?

* This is MY Rifle *

1 - 1 of 1 Posts