·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jpdogkiller
Gunboards Member

22 Posts
Posted - 11/19/2003 : 5:33:01 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

new user and new gun collector, please forgive inacuracies! Just bought a 2 rifle combo from FAC, including a k98 mauser and a M91/30 Mosin. The k98 is a re conditioned rifle with mismatched parts including the reciever and the bolt, did'nt know if this was safe to shoot or if it need to be checked out first? Also wondering about origin of rifle, markings include, 147 1939 ser.#5043. Very exited to shoot both weapons and purchased new ammo for both instead of surplus, was'nt sure about the story on that stuff? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, jpdogkiller

law4fun
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
168 Posts
Posted - 11/19/2003 : 5:52:19 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Made in 1939 by J.P. Sauer und Sohn Gewehrfabrik, Suhl. It is a Russian Capture so the only #'s that will match are the barrel and receiver. Everything else is a mismatch that will more than likely be electropenciled to match barrel and receiver.
Should be OK to shoot but I like to headspace mine before I trust my face to 60+ year old steel. Surplus 8mm and 7.62x54r are abundant and cheap. Have fun.
Welcome aboard.

Go Sooners!

God Bless America.

jpdogkiller
Gunboards Member

22 Posts
Posted - 11/19/2003 : 6:01:35 PM

Thanks for info, what does headspace mean or refer to?

law4fun
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
168 Posts
Posted - 11/19/2003 : 6:16:04 PM

There are headspace gauges, I usually use no-go and field FWIW, that will indicate to you generally whether or not it is safe to shoot the rifle. Do a search using the term "headspace" and watch what comes up. If you don't have a bunch or don't anticipate buying several, it is probably cheaper and faster for you to take it to a gunsmith and let him check it for you. Of course, you can take it out and shoot it. I have in the past and have lived to tell. However, in my old(er) age, I like to be safe and not live on the edge as often as I once did.
Have fun and stay safe.

Go Sooners!

God Bless America.

jpdogkiller
Gunboards Member

22 Posts
Posted - 11/19/2003 : 8:12:12 PM

Thank you for info, am having head space checked tommorrow. How long should this procedure take? and how much should it cost? Also am oblivious to the name or meaning behind "J.P. Saur und Sohn Gewehrfabrik, Suhl. Is that a company, town, part of the german gov't, or subcontractor? Am really looking for a specific town or plant that it was made if that is possible. Sorry about the clueless questions, just want to know everything about my new boys! thank you for replying so fast. jpdogkiller.

law4fun
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
168 Posts
Posted - 11/19/2003 : 10:01:18 PM

J.P. Saur und Sohn (name of company) Gewehrfabrik (rifle factory)
Suhl (city/region of factory)

Should take 10 min or less to check headspace and should run from free for good customer to $10 or so.

quote:
Originally posted by jpdogkiller

Thank you for info, am having head space checked tommorrow. How long should this procedure take? and how much should it cost? Also am oblivious to the name or meaning behind "J.P. Saur und Sohn Gewehrfabrik, Suhl. Is that a company, town, part of the german gov't, or subcontractor? Am really looking for a specific town or plant that it was made if that is possible. Sorry about the clueless questions, just want to know everything about my new boys! thank you for replying so fast. jpdogkiller.

Go Sooners!

God Bless America.

WaPrüf2
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
935 Posts
Posted - 11/20/2003 : 12:45:40 PM

It is Sauer (with an e) and Suhl is a city (still there) in Thuringia (an area of Germany); Suhl was a major arms manufacturing center from early times (swords, armor, guns, etc.)

Edited by - WaPrüf2 on 11/20/2003 12:46:41 PM

karabiner
Gunboards Member

USA
24 Posts
Posted - 11/20/2003 : 5:56:05 PM

Just to mention, FAC states "headspace checked by importer..." on their ad. Better to error on the side of caution though.

karabiner
Gunboards Member

USA
24 Posts
Posted - 11/20/2003 : 6:00:27 PM

Correction: no mention of headspacing regarding the 91/30, just the K98k.

Bill
Gunboards Member

USA
42 Posts
Posted - 11/20/2003 : 7:55:35 PM

I have examples of both and safely fired with no problems many many times. I never checked headspace, just wore safety glasses. If concerned, place rifle on tire with string tied to the trigger where it will fire at a pile of dirt. Much cheaper and faster way to test.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts