Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rey
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts
Posted - 04/23/2004 : 12:47:40 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,last week I took my RC k98 rifle to the range for only the second time. The first time fired I the rifle I used S&B ammo @100 yards and the results fair but not what I had expected .Anyway last week I used some Yugo 1940's ammo I got from J&G very clean looking ammo.For some reason I only took one box of 15 rounds.WOW 6 inch groups.I don't know how good that is for a rifle like this but I was one happy camper.This was my first time using corrosive ammo.Hearing the stories of rust setting in soon after shooting I cleaned the rifle as soon as I got home.I think I may have over done it bit hoppe's,windex,finally hot water.Now for the past week I've been looking for rust everyday. I don't know how long I should keep looking for rust.Thanks.

willtill
Gunboards Member

USA
30 Posts
Posted - 04/23/2004 : 05:16:07 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about a light coat of oil? You haven't mentioned that....

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." ~~ George Washington

Youngblood
Platinum Bullet Club

USA
5962 Posts
Posted - 04/23/2004 : 10:27:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rey

... I think I may have over done it bit hoppe's,windex,finally hot water ...

Windex and/or Water should come first ... after complete drying, clean as usual.

Understanding the nature of the issue ...

"Corrosive" ammo is called that because the oxidizer ingredient in the primers (Potassium Chlorate) deposits salt (Potassium Chloride or Chlorite, I have seem references to both).

This potassium salt, by itself, is absolutely harmless to the steel of your bore. Unfortunately, it is extremely hygroscopic (more so that table salt) and pulls moisture from the air ... and rusting begins.

So, unless you live in a location with zero humidity, you need to remove the salt.

That's why water-based cleaners are so valuable ... the salt leaps into solution with the water and is carried away.

One old Rule of Thumb was to smell a bore cleaner to see if it smelled of ammonia ... that would mean that it was water-based, not solvent-based. Another test was to see if the directions on the container warned about freezing, which would only be a prob with a water-based cleaner.

Some people carry little bottles of ammonia + water mixtures to use for salt-removal at the range before they pack the rifles to return home. Many just use Windex w/AmmoniaD.

The primary value in having some ammonia in the mixture is as a wetting agent to breakdown the crud in which some of the salt is residing. I have found that using just water with some of these nasty powder residues just makes a black, gooey, ugly mess. The addition of ammonia or some detergent to the water corrects that problem and helps breakdown the Black Goo and remove it. Windex comes premixed ...

So, for boltguns, use the "Windex" at the range . Then dry the bore completely. Then oil the bore (wipe, dry & oil the boltface, too). Then go home and clean as you normally would, adding a second windex/water cleaning prior to that if it makes you feel safer.

Always check the bore with a borelight periodically after that for signs of corrosion. Keep in mind that any corrosion due to potassium salt that you may have missed will be directly related to the amount of humidity in the storage area.

IMPORTANT NOTE! Ammonia will remove bluing over a period of time, so be sure to carefully remove al of the cleaning solution.

When you are at the range or shooting
ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
** CETME and FR-8 Forum Expat **
Registered on Nov 23, 2001 12:07 pm
Total Classic Gunboards Posts: 1191

Edited by - Youngblood on 04/23/2004 10:30:26 AM

Youngblood
Platinum Bullet Club

USA
5962 Posts
Posted - 04/23/2004 : 10:37:14 AM

BTW, we are not talking about a LOT of salt, here ... acoupla wet patches will usually do the trick ... and if you repeat with a couple more at home prior to performing your regular, "non-corrosive" cleaning regimen you will certainly be good-to-go ...

When you are at the range or shooting
ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!
** CETME and FR-8 Forum Expat **
Registered on Nov 23, 2001 12:07 pm
Total Classic Gunboards Posts: 1191

k98k792
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

7165 Posts
Posted - 04/23/2004 : 4:59:57 PM

Just follow Youngbloods directions and all will be well.I have been shooting corrosive ammo in my collection for over 25 yrs,with no problems.So keep it clean and don't worry.

Mark R COG 792
Set the controls for the heart of the sun!
AK Mania! I'm a carrier.
Administrator http://www.militaryfirearm.com/

greggdw
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
789 Posts
Posted - 04/23/2004 : 7:42:05 PM

where people usually run into rusting problems is on well eroded or pitted barrels.the salt residue will be down in the pits and microscopic cracks under the powder and jacket fouling.i would recommend that you use a water displacement oil like WD40 after cleaning.then keep checking for signs of rusting.the salts can stay in the pits for years and not rust if under a layer of oil.then if the salt is exposed to the air it will start rusting the barrel.the more warm and humid the air is the greater chance of having a problem.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts