Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted - 06/28/2005 : 01:33:49 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stripped all the varnish, removed 90% of the dings and ruskie S/N, bleached the stock. How do I keep that light blond look? I/m assuming Tung Oil will darken the wood?

kroh
Dennis Kroh-Owner Empire Arms Gunboards Sponsor

USA
1335 Posts
Posted - 06/28/2005 : 01:55:05 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Sal

I stripped all the varnish, removed 90% of the dings and ruskie S/N, bleached the stock. How do I keep that light blond look? I/m assuming Tung Oil will darken the wood?

Tung oil will darken the finish a little bit, but not enough to really notice or become a problem.

Dennis Kroh, owner

use this link: http://64.82.96.51

doctorxring
Gunboards Super Premium Member

431 Posts
Posted - 06/28/2005 : 02:35:12 AM

BLO will darken it. Don't use that.

Behr's 600 Tung Oil Finish is a good
choice. Or pure Tung oil diluted 50/50
with turpentine. Apply finish, rub in,
let sit for 5 minutes, rub off firmly with towel,
let dry overnight.

Do that once a day until it looks like
you want it to. Usually 3-5 coats.

dxr

Happiness is a tight group

tm45
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1086 Posts
Posted - 06/28/2005 : 07:39:40 AM

My Pure Tung Oil says use turpentine or 'paint thinner'. Mineral Spirits is PT, so that's what I used. 50/50 MS to TO. Worked fine for me. Thick coats will cause the 'soft and sticky' that many complain about. SO, use real thin coats, just enough to cover. I rubbed off excess in about 15 - 20 min. I liked Bronze wool better than steel wool. (Boat shops or HW stores have it.)
Each coat would be dry to touch in about 24 hrs. Avoid use on humid days if possible.
Tung is better weather proofing than BLO, per info on 'stock cleaning' forum. After a year, water still beads and rolls off mine.
Yes it did darken the wood slightly, but like Dennis said, not enough to notice much. Gives wood a nice feel. Doesn't seem to be wearing off. Peanut butter smell goes away in a few days

EricOKC

USA
2314 Posts
Posted - 06/28/2005 : 07:57:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sal

Sal,
A good example here.
Below is a before, during, and after shot of a laminate RC purchased from Empire Arms.
Do a search for my name on this topic to see what I did to clean it.
This is how much tung with finish will "darken" a stock.
If I had gone in with just a "finish" and no oil, then it probably would have been lighter, but I figured that oil was used on the wood from the factory.
In my case, I did not bleach the wood.

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL531/2765013/5562315/99731460.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL531/2765013/5562315/99731467.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL531/2765013/5562315/100046129.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL531/2765013/5562315/100046133.jpg

Hope this helps!
Eric

Edited by - EricOKC on 06/28/2005 07:58:31 AM

doctorxring
Gunboards Super Premium Member

431 Posts
Posted - 06/28/2005 : 4:29:08 PM

Sal -

A real good source of stock restoring/finishing info
is available on Parallax's site through the moderator
of the "C&R Stock Cleaning" page -- Rome or aka "Cabinetman".
He's a been there, done that fellow who works with wood for
a living. He likes to help as well.

http://p077.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm34

Happiness is a tight group

tm45

USA
1086 Posts
Posted - 06/28/2005 : 5:44:59 PM

Ditto Doc's posts!
Should give credit that just about everything I wrote above came from extensive reading of that "stock cleaning" forum. Excellant info there! (I just happen to like "Pure Tung" over "tung oil Finish."

EricOKC

USA
2314 Posts
Posted - 06/29/2005 : 08:42:46 AM

Yet another "ditto" from here in regards to Rome (Cabinetman) on PBill's.
Better hurry, he's going on vacation. :)

Eric

tm45

USA
1086 Posts
Posted - 06/29/2005 : 2:27:00 PM

Except,,,,, for a long time they dealt mostly with COSMO SOAKED Mosin and M48 stocks.
At least we have progressed beyond the point of reading about people ATTACKING RC Stocks with OVEN CLEANER

Sal
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
897 Posts
Posted - 07/04/2005 : 3:54:13 PM

Go Easy when stripping the bottom of the stock, I have four in the process of being stripped and have found that waffle mark on two that I had no idea were there. The Eagles are fairly clear, the other two someone hit w/ a sander. You may also find more dings and repairs that were not visible through that Russian crude.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts