Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alamo
Gunboards Super Premium Member

USA
413 Posts
Posted - 12/28/2004 : 9:34:37 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I'm an idiot but I can't quite seem to figure out how to properly install the sling on my 98K. I got a 98K repro sling (saving up for more milsurp rifles) from Sportsmans Guide today. I'll be darned if I can figure it out. Rather than flail around for awhile, I thought I'd just ask. Sling is 55" long.

BTW, how faithful are these slings to the originals?

I shot my 98K for the first time the other weekend, CE41. Very enjoyable experience. Used PMC ammo. I had shot my new CMP M1 Garand for the first time too that day. I shot the M1 first & then the 98K. Forgot to work the bolt on the 98K a couple of times to eject the spent casing as a result. Oops.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - alamo on 12/28/2004 9:36:04 PM

Bob in OHIO
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

1119 Posts
Posted - 12/28/2004 : 9:56:57 PM

In brief,
1) undo the sling...
2)take it up (towards the muzzle)through the band with the loop on the left side of the rifle and have the sling with the hatched side towards the wood...
3) Now head back to the butt with the end of the sling but now go through the buckle...
4) End goes through the slot in the butt..
5) After emerging the butt...attach the keeper on the first hole in the end of the sling...
6) done

Hope it works...Bob

My CD full of K98 pics... http://bobinohio.com/

[email protected]

alamo

USA
413 Posts
Posted - 12/28/2004 : 10:54:41 PM

Got it - thanks Bob.

Are these repro slings relatively authentic?

Any purpose to the keeper sticking so far out on the right side of the butt?

Bob in OHIO

1119 Posts
Posted - 12/28/2004 : 11:19:58 PM

Lots of different repops and most look the part to me. I really don't like any on a decent K98 but they are servicable. Leather is often too thick and brass stud on the keeper is a big turn off too (IMHO). Period slings are $50+ so the repop is more economical.

That keeper does have a tendency to flop when there's no tension...

Hope it helps...B

My CD full of K98 pics... http://bobinohio.com/

[email protected]

alamo

USA
413 Posts
Posted - 12/28/2004 : 11:38:16 PM

Thanks. The keeper has a metal stud painted black on mine.

Got to looking at the ads for Mitchell's Mausers (I'm familiar with them - great marketing, very high prices) and noticed the bolt assembly is unfinished & very bright. Is this how the German 98Ks were originally before the Russians dipped them whatever they did?

One day when I get time, I'm going to refinish the stock & fix it up and get it looking somewhat original, nothing elaborate. I've read some of the pro & con arguments here about this - I guess I look at it as simply undoing some of what a Bubba (Russians) did to it.

bdgfate

1636 Posts
Posted - 01/04/2005 : 10:56:27 PM

Haha, what law? Which police? There's no crime. Moderated forums are just that...moderated. Speaking of moderators....here comes one now.

alamo

USA
413 Posts
Posted - 01/04/2005 : 11:18:03 PM

Started getting lots of pop-up ads after visiting that site. Don't know if that's where they came from for sure though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts