·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hambone
I Have A Tina Tuner Style Haircut

2647 Posts
Posted - 08/19/2006 : 9:55:49 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been collecting K98ks over 20 years. I've made mistakes in cleaning, and found things that work. This is all I use:

Hoppes No. 9- (not much need be said about Hoppes)
Break Free CLP (the top metal preservative out there, and cheap)
Flitz (metal polish, removes cold blue, not factory blue, great for the bore, I put it on a brush. Buy this in the toothpaste TUBE)
Dewey one piece BRASS rod (OTIS kit at the range)
Bronze bore brushes w/brass posts
Bronze wool (not steel wool)
Bronze cleaning brush (toothbrush type)
Nylon USGI toothbrush guncleaning brushes
White washcloths, white towels.
Cotton bore patches (precut, by the 1000 or more, they're cheap)

All this stuff can be found at Brownells. I love Brownells (not a stockholder, they're just great). I never use anything on my vintage rifles that could scratch the finish, even lightly, so no steel wool no matter how many 'ought. This is what I recommend in conjuction with CLP:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=7391&s=

For wood, a light wipe of Howards Feed N Wax:
http://www.howardproducts.com/feednwax.htm

Remember, less is better, and originality is key. Some patina is good, it's the history of the weapon. I'd even recommend doing NOTHING to the wood if it's in decent shape. If you guys have suggestions, lets discuss them. Always remember: More historical artifacts and firearms have been damaged and ruined being "cleaned" or "restored" than being left alone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by - Hambone on 08/20/2006 09:37:38 AM

kw1941
Gunboards Member

USA
89 Posts
Posted - 08/20/2006 : 07:36:23 AM

Right on Hambone! Your 20 years experience has paid off. Anyone should make a copy of your posting and place it where they can see it daily.

patrick a. wilder

ritterkreuz
Gunboards Member

89 Posts
Posted - 08/20/2006 : 09:28:34 AM

Those are great tips Hambone. I've always used CLP but recently tried Howard’s per your recommendation on the stocks and I'm very pleased. Thanks for taking the time to share with the group.

Meyer had a word for the critics who demeaned the Gators.

"I'd like to thank all those people. Our pregame speech was easy," he said.

n/a
deleted

246 Posts
Posted - 08/20/2006 : 10:43:13 AM

I dont like the smell or the greasy feel of "Break Free" so I use Rem-oil to lubricate and protect from rust. just my preference, and have never had a gun complain yet.

Hambone

2647 Posts
Posted - 08/20/2006 : 10:53:49 AM

Tks guys. Martin, I just go by what's cheap and works. There is likely no practical difference and smell is as good a reason to prefer Remoil as any other for our applications. Check this out guys:

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

n/a
deleted

246 Posts
Posted - 08/20/2006 : 5:22:49 PM

Interesting reading, anyone out there tried the Eezox?

wolfey
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
562 Posts
Posted - 08/20/2006 : 9:30:31 PM

Thanks for the info Ham. I love the smell of Hoppe's #9 myself, makes great aftershave. -wolfey

chasdev
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
2050 Posts
Posted - 08/21/2006 : 06:42:59 AM

The reason I threw all my Remoil in the trash and switched to CLP is that I had a rifle bore in long term storage grow rust-cicles AFTER a soaking with Remoil.
It had pretty much evaporated, so use with caution.
CLP leaves a nice lube coating after months of storage.

Hambone

2647 Posts
Posted - 08/21/2006 : 08:53:44 AM

Yep Chasdev, hence why I put that testing up. That's good info, thanks.

GewehrmannII
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

1003 Posts
Posted - 08/21/2006 : 2:53:47 PM

Gun Tests did a similar test a few years ago. I believe CLP won that one also, but regular old 30-wt motor oil tested just as well. I wish this test had included motor oil.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm curious how you'd suggest to clean the wood. I see your comment about the wax, but I just picked up my first K98, and the wood feels kinda sticky/gummy. How do I clean that off? My fingers feel sticky after I've handled it as well.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Probably old grease, oil, and cosmo on the stock. Wipe it down with denatured alcohol on a clean rag, let dry, and apply a light wipe of Howard's Feed N Wax.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts