223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Author Topic
HI SALENITY
Gunboards Member

USA
19 Posts
Posted - 06/06/2007 : 4:28:38 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do I weld cast stainless to mild steel ?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/curt54321/cetme002.jpg

gw11
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
210 Posts
Posted - 06/06/2007 : 7:05:11 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for my previous response.
To weld stainless to mild steel use Stainles wire. Usually 308 wire.
Good luck with your build, your kit looks great!

Edited

I looked for my Books, but I think Wife #2 Dumpster'd them!

This is putting it better than I can.

stanweld (Materials)
5 Dec 03 8:57
Welding stainless steel to mild carbon steel should be avoided because dilution with the stainless steel creates an approximate 5% Cr - 2% Ni weld deposit. This deposit can be martensitic and could lead to hydrogen induced cracking. Preheating can be done to mitigate this problem. Preheating requirements will be based on the welding electrode/filler metal and welding process used and the thickness of the materials to be welded.
stanweld (Materials)
5 Dec 03 13:42
Another reason for using stainless steel weld filler metals is that the deposited weld metal, most prone to have flaws, is highly ductile. This can provide greater resistance to failure in cyclic and dynamic loading situations.
unclesyd (Materials)
5 Dec 03 15:10
DON'T use C/S welding wire to weld C/S to S/S even though you can do it. We weld C/S to S/S everyday using 309 S/S rod and wire. Most of the welds operate at 600°F and cycle to 1000°F for short peroids 3 to 4 times per year.
We weld pipe and plate as is where is with nothing other than the normal prep for welding. We use this in the procedure to qualify welders for SMAW welding of S/S.

Edited by - gw11 on 06/08/2007 8:44:28 PM

gw11
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
210 Posts
Posted - 08/01/2007 : 6:17:18 PM

Up

1 - 1 of 1 Posts