Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm not sure if this the correct place to ask about C&R but would appreciate all of your thoughts on the subject. I am considering applying for a C&R but know little of the realities of having one . Would anyone care to comment?

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,677 Posts
Depends on the state. California makes the 03 almost worthless. I think New Jersey does as well. Others, like Alabama, it's a great thing to have, especially if you do multi state road trips to gun shows.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Pretty easy to fill out paperwork, $30.00 and about 30-45 days to get license. Over the years it save me many times it's cost by having C&R guns shipped directly to me
by dealers and individuals, no running to a dealer to pick them up, or transfer fees. Downside is having to maintain a log of your C&R transactions. BTW some businesses
will give you a dealers discount if you have an C&R license.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I travel a lot, and it allows me to purchase eligible firearms at gun stores, pawnshops, etc., with no paperwork (other than providing a copy of my license), no waiting. It's also great for interstate purchase of eligible firearms. Delivered directly to my door. Used it over 100 times in the last 15 or so years. One of the best investments I've made in terms of enhancing my collection. Paperwork is minimal and easy to manage (you can do it on Excel if you get ATF permission).

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
In a state like MA with painful gun-acquisition laws, the 03 can save much time and, in fact, is the only way to get some kinds of items. Plus, the door-to-door shipping is convenient.

Overall, I'd say I've gotten way more than my money's worth out of my 03. YMMV.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Fine to sell as long as it doesn't appear that you are running a business. Selling in order to enhance the collection is okay. Buying a better specimen of something you already have and then selling the original is an example.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In a state like MA with painful gun-acquisition laws, the 03 can save much time and, in fact, is the only way to get some kinds of items. Plus, the door-to-door shipping is convenient.

Overall, I'd say I've gotten way more than my money's worth out of my 03. YMMV.
Very much this. I just used my C&R to buy a very nice Walther P1 at a NH gun show yesterday. Quick easy transaction. My only warning to you is that your wallet will start to take a hit if you get one!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I am considering applying for a C&R but know little of the realities of having one . Would anyone care to comment?
Get it.

Fee is only $30 and application is simple.

You will get it in 3-4 weeks and will save the cost of the 03/C&R license on the first gun purchased thereafter...

Boundbook entries are minimal, delivery to your door is convenient...

Yep, a few sellers on the gun sales sites won't honor it, but there are plenty of other sellers that will... Just email the seller and ask if they will sell and ship to 03/C&R... If they say "NO", move on down the line to another seller.

You will need a larger gun safe...

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Upside, all of the above (except, maybe, the deflated wallet part, LOL!).
Downside is that you are basically registering yourself as a gun owner with the ATF.
Of course, unless you live "off the grid" (and if so you would not be here), the "metadata"
has already exposed you as such anyway.
I got mine and never looked back, handy for multiple purchases (such as in "two fer" deals, etc.).
I've used such several times over the years for trade goods and whatnot,
just don't do it too often.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I got mine last year. The only thing I have not had much luck with is using it to buy guns from the online auction sites. The first time I tried, the auction said "C&R eligible", and the seller assured me that he could ship to a C&R holder like me. After I won the auction, it was a different story "Fedex won't ship so you, you'll need to find an 01 FFL". I completed the transaction through an 01 FFL dealer that I had used in the past. I was far too kind in my feedback. Since then, other sellers have backed off when I asked if they had recent experience shipping to a C&R holder. Moral of the story is, ask before you bid. The fact that they list a gun as "C&R eligible" does not mean they can or will actually ship it to you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've had my C&R for about a year. The posts above are spot on and reflect my experience. I am OCD about record keeping so accurately logging my purchases is no hassle to me. Heck I already had an excel file on every firearm that I own, rounds, ammo used, modifications, issues, etc. I buy and rarely sell anything. But the warning to avoid the appearance of running a business is wise advice.

I am so glad I got my C&R, it has made my hobby so much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Is a person required to log the firearms they obtained BEFORE they acquired a C&R? I somewhat remember a story about ATF getting ornery with an 003 holder because he had a collection, modern and C&R eligible, long before he got the license and an agent doing a check took issue with that collection not being in the licensee's book. I don't remember the details, could be they wanted this guy and were looking for any little thing to go after him, could have been an agent going maverick, I just don't remember, ain't Alzheimer's wonderful?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My understanding is that you don't need to log prior C&R-eligible purchases unless you sell them; then you log them out. That's how I've always done it.

You can't get in trouble for being TOO careful with an A&D, though, so if you do go back and put them in, I doubt it'll hurt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.