Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a few pics of the 2 C.1900 stamped rifles I have collected. One of these could possibly be the 1901 Awards Rifle that is discussed that came from ParkerSwedes collection.
1. First rifle is a 1901 Carl Gustafs, all matching, unthreaded, early buttplate angle M96. This rifle has a silver disc that reads...Eric Yhlen for 446 p. i 10 ser @ 200 m 1915 (See Pic) Rifle is in good condition, has very nice looking walnut wood, and would appear to be some type of rifle that was used in a shooting competition based on the silver disc, and possibly close to the 1900 year date??

2. Second rifle is a low numbered #1282 Obie 1900, all matching rifle, early style buttplate angle, unthreaded. Most of the parts do have the mauser style crown stamp. Both rifles showed at least 3 crown cartouches, and both had a crown over a C stamp behind the triggerguard.
The silver cutout disc area has the name of a guy that reads" D. Ahslund" (See Pics)

Would be interested to know if either of these rifles can be linked to a shooting competition that took place in Sweden back in the early 1900's. Interested to see who else has rifles that are similar in nature to these rifles described. Feedback Appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well, in the year 1915 did Mr. Yhlen perform highest result (446 points). 10 rounds (one round based on 5 shots. Bullseye 5 points. That makes maximum 50 points/round). Notice distance just 200 meters indicating beginners-class or youngster. I think he used another rifle (club-rifle) during this 1915-season-shooting and were rewarded the, at the time, 14 year old rifle as prize.

The "D.Åhslund" disc is a owners-disc and not connected to a shooting-competition.

At the big 1901 Competition did for example the King of Sweden put up three m/96 as prizes.

Regards,
ARILAR:)

·
Copper Bullet member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arilar:
Thanks for the translation of the silver disc on the 1901 CG M96. Pretty nice to know this rifle was probably a prize to a younster back in 1915 for his shooting abilities. Wish there was a better record of the number of C.1900 rifles here in the US. There has to be more of these out there in Swede collections. The low number 1900 Obie (#1282) has collectible attributes by itself, but wish there was more info available on the other features of the rifle. One wonders why the owner of said rifle gave it up and it ended up in the US as an all matching rifle with a superb bore. Guess I need to take it to the range and put a few rounds through it. Maybe it will end up as one of my favored shooters....
Opee

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
There has to be more of these out there in Swede collections. One wonders why the owner of said rifle gave it up and it ended up in the US as an all matching rifle with a superb bore. Opee
Swedish collections of FSR m/96s??? Never heard of any!! They end up in US because of zero, null ,none interest in them in Sweden. I am happy they reach interested folks like you in US. Otherwise they end up, as most of them, in destruction....
Yesterday I participated in a ML-shooting nearby. One shooter asked me what to do with a m/96 in superb condition with the testshooting-tag and certificate that proved it had been overhauled at a "Tygstation" around 1960 (just like the one that in another thread a weapon-dealer claimed it were a Luxemburg rifle). I told him to try to sell it at a Widforss-auction. Will in best give him 150 bucks.
Regards,
ARILAR:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.