Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local pawn shop has this P38 priced at $850. It looks to be in decent shape, some old minor pitting the bore is in good shape. It has black grips the slide and frame match the barrel does not. I don't know anything about these and was wondering if this is a decent deal. Crazy times we're living in and prices are all over the place.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everone, I'm in unchartered waters when it comes to German weaponry. I do have a RC K98 and an Elite Diamant bayonet, that's the extent of anything German. Most of my meager collection is Finn Mosins and Arisakas.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes. Watch GB and observe what things sell for. You'll get an idea of what they are going for. There are of course outliers that will make no sense (75% guns of no particular significance selling for $2k)...but after a while you get a rough idea of what the pricing is like. Realize that since you know nothing about these, there may be guns of significance to a collector, that will not display anything obviously unique. This will occasionally drive the price up.

You also have to make sure the locking block is numbered to the gun. This can only be seen when taking the pistol in half, and may sellers do not show pictures of the locking block. A mismatched locking block can easily drop the price of a collectible P38 by several hundred dollars, or much more on a really high end pistol.

Common makes that should run about $1k or less in decent shape: byf43/44, ac43/44, CYQ 'e' through 'p' block. That should be no import marks and no Russian dip. Sometimes it can be kind of hard to tell if a pistol has been dipped or not.

Attached is an ad for a pistol that sold last month for less than a grand, and it included a holster (no telling if it was a wartime one though because the seller did not take pictures of the back of it). Includes a good picture of the locking block too. Like other collectibles, a lot of minefields out there...educate yourself first.

ETA: be careful about taking away too much from analyzing GB. As an experienced collector, I can tell you that most (probably 75% or better) of the guns (German WWII firearms in general) advertised there are overpriced for what they are. Average guns, with sellers hoping to attract the guy who doesn't know much. I know what I am looking for and can mentally screen through all the BS advertisements pretty quickly. Until you can do that, you'd be wise to enlist some of the more knowledgeable members opinions on what you're looking at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.